How did Kaworu become so popular?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Tue May 07, 2013 12:33 am

Well, at least for me Kaworu was really really beautiful, elegant and attractive. His final looks nothing like the draft description because a)that's a draft and b) as far as i understand it, such descriptions's primary intention is to convey the feeling or idea the author wants to go with rather than any specific physical characteristics. A lot of creative processes are like that... You work from vague or big or hazy to specific or small or defined.

Also, contrary to what most people are saying (not like EGF being glaringly wrong yet acting like it's a simple matter is any news, but eh) I think saying that Fujoshi fandom is a major reason for Kaworu's popularity is a woefully ignorant thing to say. Kaworu's role in the story, dream-like demeanor (and Ikira Ashida's incredible voice), contrast with other characters, the mystery around him, and many other factors contribute to his popularity.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

MoroNoKimi
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MoroNoKimi » Tue May 07, 2013 1:06 am

View Original PostDream wrote:Well, at least for me Kaworu was really really beautiful, elegant and attractive...
Also, contrary to what most people are saying (not like EGF being glaringly wrong yet acting like it's a simple matter is any news, but eh) I think saying that Fujoshi fandom is a major reason for Kaworu's popularity is a woefully ignorant thing to say. Kaworu's role in the story, dream-like demeanor (and Ikira Ashida's incredible voice), contrast with other characters, the mystery around him, and many other factors contribute to his popularity.

THIS. I couldn't possibly have said it better myself.

Also I disagree that the art style of NGE isn't conducive to attractiveness. You don't need a shoujo-manga art style to make a character beautiful.
Part of his beauty for me is his simplicity anyway. Appearance wise he's not that complicated, just thin elegance with pale hair and piercing eyes.

Xiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xiel » Sun May 12, 2013 11:59 am

"Everyone likes Kaworu." - Ikuni Ikuhara.

Beautiful, tragic and kind boy voiced by Akira Ishida with mysterious air and super powers. How couldn't he be popular? He was made to be popular. Although it was cute that Mr. Anno was concerned he messed up the execution but was glad his worries were misplaced. He's popular with: young kids (Sadamoto said a lot of young boys make him draw their favorite character: Kaworu), otaku (cool superpowers and attitude they wish they had), women (of all types), casual viewers (with his quotable lines). He's one of the characters who have a wide demographic appeal in Japan. Children admire him, old men are infatuated or look up him wishing he was the protagonist, women sigh at him or tearfully follow his relationship with Shinji, casual viewers (of either gender) find the concept of gentle humanoid angel who is wise and has philosophical lines appealing and refreshing when most of the cast is bleaker.

redbomb
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby redbomb » Sun May 12, 2013 7:21 pm

I personally think it's because Kaworu is the type of person everyone wants Shinji to have. Someone who accepts and shows him unconditional kindness. We were getting sick of seeing him emo all the time and when Kaworu was introduced, we all had hope. All the other characters pretty much put Shinji into a deeper depression than he already was.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sat May 18, 2013 3:18 am

Kaworu got popular because there's a lot of yaoi fangirls.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Ringworm128
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ringworm128 » Sat May 18, 2013 4:30 am

That reminds me. This sums up how I feel about Kaworu x Shinji (as well as most other YAOI parings)
And an open letter to all the fangirls in favor of a Kaworu Shinji relationship, what are you thinking, how is that even remotely attractive? Two pencil necked chumps as pale as milk doing the nasty? Though I am straight and thus biased, I still try to see things from the other side, but I cannot by any stretch of the imagination conceive how this would be consider "hot." It's like fantasizing Rosie O'Donnel and Courtney Love getting together. Ew.
Chuckman#695701 wrote:Don't you understand? The best way to shelter children from the mind-warping horror that is a pair of perky teen tits is to blindfold them with guts.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sat May 18, 2013 4:32 am

@Ringworm: Try not to be that much of a young male.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat May 18, 2013 4:45 am

You look at all the kawoshin fanart, and it's all rather sweet.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Oenara
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Oenara » Sat May 18, 2013 5:22 am

View Original PostCorporalChaos wrote:Kaworu got popular because there's a lot of yaoi fangirls.

Then... Asuka and Rei got popular because there's a lot of het fanboys?

View Original PostRingworm128 wrote:Two pencil necked chumps as pale as milk doing the nasty?

Good argument against all Original!Eva ships.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat May 18, 2013 11:20 am

As a good friend of mine once put it, Kaworu is popular because he's the only one who openly declares his love for Shinji.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Nyanlathotep
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Nyanlathotep » Tue May 21, 2013 1:52 am

He's the Dark Horse. An incredibly important character who changes everything and yet has very little screentime. A long enough span of time to do what he needs to; a short enough span of time to preserve his mystery.

At the beginning, at least, the audience may expect the final angel to be some huge monstrosity that has the power of a thousand suns and shits out Ramiel and Zeruel for breakfast. Of course, that wouldn't be a huge issue for Shinji to fight.

But what would be a huge issue for Shinji to fight? Someone who openly and kindly loves him. Whether or not Kaworu had malicious intent, he immediately becomes the most devastating villain in the series, completely breaking Shinji.
開いたばかりの花が散るのを
見ていた木立の遣る瀬無きかな

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Tue May 21, 2013 2:34 am

Shinji isn't even pale, he's rather tan. Although I must say, Kaworu and Shinji doing the nasty isn't as hot as Toji and Shinji doing the nasty. I'm not exactly a "fan" of Kaworu x Shinji but I can understand and relate to the appeal, despite being a certified LTS fanboy. Plus, episode 24 is certainly one of the more emotional and memorable episodes in the series. The one where the last shred of Shinji's remaining sanity is crushed by this charismatic, pale-skinned, red-eyed, alien-like stranger, whom Shinji would've easily given up his virginity for and for Kaworu, was an easy target to get into his pants into.

^_^

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue May 21, 2013 2:38 am

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Shinji isn't even pale, he's rather tan. Although I must say, Kaworu and Shinji doing the nasty isn't as hot as Toji and Shinji doing the nasty.

Wha-- You too?! I mean, I find KxS a more realistic pairing, but I find Shinji x Touji a hotter pairing because of how their demeanors play off each others'.

But this is not the topic to continue this tangent.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Tue May 21, 2013 3:21 am

I just found Kaworu really admirable as a character when I first watched the show, the guy shows what being a true friend is all about.
SPOILER: Show
[URL=http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/Junegate/media/tumblr_mjlm69OD7b1qbtacxo1_500_zpse0948850.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

Mr. Jive
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Jive » Tue May 21, 2013 2:25 pm

View Original Postredbomb wrote:I personally think it's because Kaworu is the type of person everyone wants Shinji to have. Someone who accepts and shows him unconditional kindness. We were getting sick of seeing him emo all the time and when Kaworu was introduced, we all had hope. All the other characters pretty much put Shinji into a deeper depression than he already was.

Kaworu was never Shinji friend. He was a spy and his kindness was all a act to fool Shinji. I don't know why fans can't nor refuse to that? And who are these people that put shinny in emo mode? Seem to me he did that himself, sure his parents are to blame for most of the bad things that happened but at some point you gotta raise above all that and live your life. Shinji never did that. If you want to
Point the finger at someone, then point it at kaworu seeing how his backstabbing made shinny go from emo mode to full psycho mode.

Never really like that guy anyway. Too boring and like to hear himself talk a lot.

Nyanlathotep
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Nyanlathotep » Tue May 21, 2013 3:37 pm

It's hard to "rise above all that" when the bad things happening throw you into the ER every other week and kill your friends.
開いたばかりの花が散るのを
見ていた木立の遣る瀬無きかな

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue May 21, 2013 3:56 pm

View Original PostMr. Jive wrote:And who are these people that put shinny in emo mode

I have no idea but at least I discovered what shinny is, I've never heard of it before.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SimplyMason0 » Tue May 21, 2013 5:27 pm

@Mr. Jive:

Kaworu was legit on his friendship however he was an angel and was too weird to understand the damage he caused. He expected way too much of Shinji as everyone else did. You can't deny that. He was flawed himself. He didn't apologize over his suicide. Then we are suppose to learn from him too in EoE. If it weren't for EoE, I would have thought he was a monster too.

Even in the Manga, he even mocks Shinji for feeling guilt and Kaworu is suppose to be an innocent kid with a mind of a child.

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby delispin25 » Fri May 24, 2013 6:15 pm

@Mr. Jive:

Uh, is your "S" key broken?
"At least I get laid." - TDSA
"I LITERALLY CANT STOP BEATING WOMEN" - CJD

EVAfacepalm
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EVAfacepalm » Sun May 26, 2013 11:37 am

Wait... Wait... Wait.

Did the early draft of episode 24 really say "Kaworu sparkles"?

Oh my God, Stephanie Meyer is friends with Hideaki Anno.
According to Seele, Tang is the ultimate form of life. I guess that means the astronauts are committing genocide all the time then.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”