If it'd be possible and what happened in EVA happen to us..

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

"Do you choose to take part in the HCP?"

"Yes." ( Reality S****!! Long live the Third Impact!!!! )
25%
"No, I prefer to stay in reality." ( It's none of my business if you cultish idiots want to suicide.... )
75%
"What is HCP? Do you mean handicap?" ( Honestly, what does it mean? )
No votes

Total votes: 20

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu May 26, 2005 11:19 pm

Dave wrote:Screw bodies, no matter how well built they are; their stability over long periods of time is pathetic.

Well, then, clearly the answer is to acquire the Fruit of Life. Then that won't be a problem.

Non-corporeal existence is where it's at.

I believe this is what we call the "Green is Always Greener Syndrome".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri May 27, 2005 2:37 am

Reichu wrote:
Dave wrote:Screw bodies, no matter how well built they are; their stability over long periods of time is pathetic.

Well, then, clearly the answer is to acquire the Fruit of Life. Then that won't be a problem.

Any finite system (being) can only enter a finite number of states, so will eventually get into an endless series of repetition.

Reichu wrote:
Dave wrote:Non-corporeal existence is where it's at.

I believe this is what we call the "Green is Always Greener Syndrome".

Countered by the "brain in a jar" argument - if you receive sensory input as if embodied, it doesn't matter if you aren't. In particular, even if you're just a quantum anomaly drifting in a pool of LCL, the sensory input of scary Asuka sitting on you and hurling abuse will be just as scary as if it were happening in Misato's apartment.
Last edited by Mr. Tines on Fri May 27, 2005 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Fri May 27, 2005 4:02 am

To tell you the truth, I dont really care.

Becasue I am sorta in "dream land" already and I am also in reality.

lol.

Unforuntately to have a world like that you need reality. Without reality nothing would truelly exist even the the single entity left by us joining. No progress would be made and plus

THERE WOULD BE NO ANIME..
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri May 27, 2005 9:28 am

Mr. Tines wrote:Any finite system (being) can only enter a finite number of states, so will eventually get into an endless series of repetition.

Are you referring to the "catch" of immortality?

I think the problem you are referring to is much the problem I've encountered trying to write about a place where nobody ever dies. The "solution" I came up with was to have the inhabitants maintain sanity via constant memory loss; and those who cannot do this for whatever reason are the ones to enter a perpetual state of madness (e.g., the cilia-mouthed Azazel). Plug, plug, plug. ;)

Reichu wrote:Countered by the "brain in a jar" argument - if you receive sensory input as if embodied, it doesn't matter if you aren't. In particular, even if you're just a quantum anomaly drifting in a pool of LCL, the sensory input of scary Asuka sitting on you and hurling abuse will be just as scary as if it were happening in Misato's apartment.

...making me wonder how a quantum anomaly can receive "sensory input" without so much as a brain (the very thing that can be fooled into believing it has not been deprived of true stimulae, as per "Matrix" scenarios) -- but nevermind that.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri May 27, 2005 12:00 pm

Reichu wrote:Are you referring to the "catch" of immortality?

This is not the "listless immortals" as in e.g. Tanith Lee's Death's Master, or other sour-grapes thanatic memes; but simple mathematics of finite state machines. Quantization implies that there are only a finite number of ways of arranging 100kg of stress-energy within a co-moving cubic metre, so there is only a finite number of ways of arranging me and a chunk of environment. (There's actually a stronger thermodynamic argument that implies that growth without bound is required for persistence even without the state-machine mortality.)

Mortality as a consequence of being a finite state machine is touched on in passing in the latter stages of Egan's Permutation City.

Reichu wrote:...making me wonder how a quantum anomaly can receive "sensory input" without so much as a brain (the very thing that can be fooled into believing it has not been deprived of true stimulae, as per "Matrix" scenarios) -- but nevermind that.

Shinji has the advantage of having an explicit soul which could be replumbed - but the brain in a jar argument extends to any system which emulates a brain in a jar by sufficiently complicated computation (Egan, ibid.)
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:17 pm

yay for non-existence!

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:56 pm

The triviality of mankind, untarnished and purged of suffering. What's to miss in the absence of true memory?

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Gazdakka Gizbang
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gazdakka Gizbang » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:55 am

Hooray for Third Impact!!! A festivity in which all minds and souls culminate together to form the next stage in our evolutionary path. Nothing wrong with that.....

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:44 am

Mr. Tines wrote:Any finite system (being) can only enter a finite number of states, so will eventually get into an endless series of repetition.

Wouldn't each repetition be different from the last? The being would have the memory of the previous repetition, thus altering their own perception of the current repetition.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:48 am

Mr. Tines wrote:This is not the "listless immortals" as in e.g. Tanith Lee's Death's Master, or other sour-grapes thanatic memes; but simple mathematics of finite state machines. Quantization implies that there are only a finite number of ways of arranging 100kg of stress-energy within a co-moving cubic metre, so there is only a finite number of ways of arranging me and a chunk of environment.

However finite the possible states of any volume may be, there is always the wonderful possibility of particles popping up at random. Eventually every state may be reached, but predicting what comes next is nigh impossible. Finite possiblities at random for an infinite amount of time is more than enough for me.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

ice reaper
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby ice reaper » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:31 am

if humans were to achieve immortality and maintained their aging process then after about 1 century and a half you'd be a quivering pile of living poo-poo and would most likely wish for the release of death.

on the other hand if you didn't age in the same way- where would you prefer the physical aging to end? and just to add to my previous statement- we'd need to be able to regenerate to prevent our bones wearing down and our organs wearing out- OR becoming so muscular that they don't achieve their apointed job like the heart becoming too strong and pumping our blood at such a high speed that it would rupture our arteries and veins.

now that's just not cricket.

"The divine fall silent as the freil plea aloud"

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:53 pm

Dave wrote:Wouldn't each repetition be different from the last? The being would have the memory of the previous repetition, thus altering their own perception of the current repetition.

Presuming memory has a physical basis, then even that is subject to the same restriction; as a finite being, your capacity for memory is only finite.

Of course in some circumstances, a short cycle repeating state when in some pleasant psychological state (e.g. in flow) may be a desirable thing : Peer in Permutation City exemplifies this.

Quantum jittering may make the cycles chaotic, but the space you occupy is still finite and bounded.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:22 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Presuming memory has a physical basis, then even that is subject to the same restriction; as a finite being, your capacity for memory is only finite.

In NGE, anyway, the soul preserves everything in the mind AND a flawlessly detailed blueprint of the body. (Well, if we look at liquification-->embodiment, anyhow. 'Salvation' appears to be a trickier area, but Yui at least would appear to have gone through it unscathed.) I wonder how many terrabytes of data those things can store? Spiritual energy is the future of data storage, I'm telling ya!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:22 am

i guess hell will make lots of money selling souls
aside from that, does memory have a physical basis? i always thought it had to do with various synapse chains...

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:23 pm

sadsadshinji wrote:aside from that, does memory have a physical basis? i always thought it had to do with various synapse chains...

Synapses are physical things: if the distribution of atoms and electric fields are part of the mechanism (rather than the medium something beyond physical laws), then the various states of memory are just some of the finite number of rearrangements available.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:08 pm

correct me if i am wrong, but synapses are just connections formed between nerve cells..right?
in that case i guess you are right
then again, they havent really figured out memory completely, have they?

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”