JSDF rifles in EoE

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Count A'ight
Banned

JSDF rifles in EoE

•      
  •      

Postby Count A'ight » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:46 pm

When the JSDF invades NERV in EoE, did anyone notice the type of rifles they were using? Oddly, it's NOT the Howa Type 89, which has been the standard-issue service rifle of the JSDF since 1989.

It's the Heckler & Koch G11. Like the Steyr on which the pallet rifles are based, was one of the four finalists in the ACR competition, none of which got past the prototype stages.

(G11 is second from top, pallet rifle should be obvious)

Was Anno obsessed with the ACR program or something?
Last edited by Count A'ight on Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I'm pissing you off, just remember: it was Magami No ER who told me about this place, so blame him/her.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:07 pm

Nothing new here, and considering that it's an entirely fictional branch of the SDF which does the invading, the real-world service of the Types 64 and 89 doesn't count for much.

Gainax's mechanical designer(s) probably used the pre-production G11 for the same reason that they used the Desert Eagle and AI Arctic Warfare: they looked cool. Certainly no real force would be fielding that version of the G11 - the greatly improved G11K2 has been around since at least the early 90s.

jim_loves_randy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jim_loves_randy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:24 pm

In real life, do special forces often use flamethrowers to supplement their guns in an invasion?

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:29 pm

No. Flamethrowers are mostly used to smoke out fortifications or caves. Their short range and bulkiness makes them impractical for widespread deployment when grenades and fully automatic fire can be used for clearing rooms, while there are other bunker busting methods as well.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:16 pm

Yeah, it seems like flamethrowers are kind of outdated anyway. They're just badass, thats all.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:27 pm

And they're good to have around just in case you encounter giant, acid-bleeding bugs.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:29 pm

Of course. Nothing is better than fire (which is man's best friend, not dogs)

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:39 pm

jim_loves_randy wrote:In real life, do special forces often use flamethrowers to supplement their guns in an invasion?

Napalm was a standard tool up till the end of the Cold War era, However it's been obsoleted by Thermobaric weapons. Thermobaric weapons besides reducing fortifications are also an extremely lethal area weapon as they collapse lungs and cause embolisms with their pressure effects. In real life they were used by the Russians in the second Chechen war against Grozny, and they were used in the second Falluja campaign to destroy fortifications. Of course such a action was controversial as such weapons kill and destroy anything nearby, but in an assault like that from EOE where the JSDF didn't care about collateral damage it would be used.
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:53 pm

Reichu wrote:And they're good to have around just in case you encounter giant, acid-bleeding bugs.

aye
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

Count A'ight
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Count A'ight » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:16 pm

jim_loves_randy wrote:In real life, do special forces often use flamethrowers to supplement their guns in an invasion?

That depends on how special they are, I suppose :)

Synapsid wrote:Napalm was a standard tool up till the end of the Cold War era, However it's been obsoleted by Thermobaric weapons.

Not really. It was actually obsoleted by the kerosene-based incendiaries used in curent Mark 77 firebombs.
If I'm pissing you off, just remember: it was Magami No ER who told me about this place, so blame him/her.

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:28 pm

^Count A'ight
Those Mk77s work on thermobaric principles, of course newer payloads will incorporate more efficient compounds like phosphorus.
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

Count A'ight
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Count A'ight » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:36 pm

Synapsid wrote:^Count A'ight
Those Mk77s work on thermobaric principles

sauce?

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:38 pm

yes I've known its a G11 for a while
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:04 pm

[quote="Synapsid"][quote="jim_loves_randy"] they were used in the second Falluja campaign to destroy fortifications. Of course such a action was controversial as such weapons kill and destroy anything nearby

Holy f*ck I forgot about those. They are more badass than flamethrowers

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:28 pm

Reichu wrote:And they're good to have around just in case you encounter giant, acid-bleeding bugs.

Don't overestimate it woman. You're as likely to torch the guy holding everyone's highly flammable grenade rounds, as you are to torch the bug.

Noooo..., it's the M41A Pulse Rifle that brought humanity back from The Brink.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Count A'ight
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Count A'ight » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:50 am

It was actually a thermonuclear explosion and a power loader that sealed the deal...

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:24 pm

You sort ofhave to wonder at the mind that produced the flamethrower, though. What kind of thought pattern would possibly reach the conclusion of "Y'know, I really want to set that thing on fire, but it's all the way over there. I need something to allow me to set it on fire from over here" ?
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

Count A'ight
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Count A'ight » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:43 pm

The idea was probably concocted by some caveman who settled his disputes by throwing burning pieces of wood at other cavemen.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”