Episode 11...

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Kotono-Chawan
Embryo

Episode 11...

•      
  •      

Postby Kotono-Chawan » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:51 pm

I was watching episode 11, The Day Tokyo-3 stood Still, last night and after all the times I have watched that episode something grabbed me. Ritsuko says they're performing the second prolonged EVa activation test, but Rei is at school with Asuka and Shingi while the test is being performed.

How is this possible? this is before the dummy plugs and Rei clones are known so it wouldn't make sense to say it's a dummy plug test...

I'm just confused because doesn't and EVA need a pilot to activate? So why isn't Rei there?

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:00 pm

I never noticed that.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:09 pm

I assumed that the test was going to take place after school, hence why the Children were making their way to NERV in the first place.

Kotono-Chawan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kotono-Chawan » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:13 pm

I used to assume that too, but the test has already started while the children are making their way there. Ritsuko says to abort the test and some nerve up link is bad. This is just before Shinji calls his father.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:29 pm

While on the train:
ep11 plat subs wrote:RITSUKO:
Yes, we're going to run the second prolonged activation test at 10:30.

Later at Nerv
RITSUKO:
Abort experiment! Cut the circuits!

IBUKI (OFF):
Switching circuits.

OPERATOR (OFF):
Power supply being restored.

RITSUKO:
This is still the problem here, huh?

IBUKI:
Yes, the fact that the conversion efficiency
is 0.008 lower than our theoretical value concerns me.

OPERATOR:
It's just barely within tolerance, though, but what do we do?

RITSUKO:
Let's try it again using the same configuration,
but lower the reciprocal conversion rate by 0.01.

IBUKI (OFF):
Roger.

RITSUKO:
Now, let's recommence the reactivation experiment.

I guess we can assume that the "Prolonged Activation Test" and the "Reactivation Experiment" are 2 different things, perhaps the later being a necessary step for the former. Also note that the Evas worked fine (they battled the Angel), this was probably either a test with a different type of power source that would allow continuous activation for extended periods of time.

Kotono-Chawan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kotono-Chawan » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:48 pm

That makes sense. I'm gonna say that the writers just didn't think it through that well now :o

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zkh » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:27 pm

While we're on the subject of episode 11, every time I watch it, something feels wrong... Something with the character designs looks off to me, but in the episodes after that they were back to normal, what the hell is up with that?

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:07 pm

Zkh wrote:While we're on the subject of episode 11, every time I watch it, something feels wrong... Something with the character designs looks off to me, but in the episodes after that they were back to normal, what the hell is up with that?

IIRC, it was a different animation team who did that episode. Not 100% on that, though.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

Big Panda
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Big Panda » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:10 pm

Zkh wrote:While we're on the subject of episode 11, every time I watch it, something feels wrong... Something with the character designs looks off to me, but in the episodes after that they were back to normal, what the hell is up with that?

Rit's chin... it's so... pointing...

*Throws up*
I guess it's time for a decent sig right? NAHHHHHHHH

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:39 am

#10 & #11 are the ugliest episodes. I'm partial #9 and #16, led by Shinya Hasegawa.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:05 am

It happens and isn't all that uncommon. You get different people drawing the keys, a different animation director (Kawaguchi) and animation from a different studio (Ghibli) and you end up with a finished product that looks a little different. This still happens, like Death Note 14, or even in the middle of the season from "The Third" where the characters looked so different I thought I was watching a completely different show.

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:29 pm

Big Panda wrote:

Rit's chin... it's so... pointing...

*Throws up*

Avoid the pointiness (Unless this is slash*gags*)

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:24 am

Yes, Asuka just looks....OFF in episode 11.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Kotono-Chawan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kotono-Chawan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:16 am

I rewatched episode 11 last night then went onto the next disc and it was jarring! Pleasantly jarring, but everything just shifted. It was weird.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:26 am

I actually like the look of episode 11... :(
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:23 am

V wrote:Yes, Asuka just looks....OFF in episode 11.
I second that.
Eva Yojimbo wrote:I actually like the look of episode 11... :(
It is not that it was "bad" looking IMO. It just differed a little from the others.
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Ayana-Me
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ayana-Me » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:31 am

Yeah, Asuka's face looked different while they were crawling through the ventilation ducts. Overall though, it doesn't hold a candle to Rei in EoE when she and Shinji are naked in the LCL together. I don't know what they were thinking, but that did not look like her at all.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:33 pm

Asuka's face espeically looked somewhat off, but even in "bad animation" days of Eva, I still think it looks similar, it doesn't look THAT off in the sense where you can't even tell if its the same character or not.

*cough* Badly animated=EoE Kyoko-sama. Maybe her being killed wasn't so horrible...she was put out of her fugly-looking misery that way.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Kotono-Chawan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kotono-Chawan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:31 pm

Episodes 9-11 seemed more anime-y in a way, episode five as well. Misato just looked weird in that one. It's like eyes were more round, a little more shimmery, the animation reminded me of Gundam or Ranma. It wasn't as realistic as I've become accustomed too. I just got the DVDs two weeks ago so I got used to the movie animation which is quite different from the TV animation.

Big Panda
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Big Panda » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:32 pm

I guess that episode had the more... voluminous Asuka. That's a good point.
And "Asuka-on-duct" really had a decent face.
I guess it's time for a decent sig right? NAHHHHHHHH

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”