Music soothes the savage Eva beast...

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Music soothes the savage Eva beast...

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:00 am

In back of several of the new rerelease manga, they have a "alternate soundtrack" list. Basically this is a list of songs that represent a epsisode from Eva. Well, The list didn't sound very good to me, but I'm a little weird.

Anyway, in the spirit of wasting time, one of our favorite pastimes in this forum, is there any particular pieces of music, rock songs, or even love ballads that put you in mind of a ceratin eva character? Sequence? Episode?

Apart fom the obvious that is. ( I.E. Fly me to the moon)
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby wildarmsheero » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:57 am

Weezer's Tired of Sex. Don't ask me why... but it makes sense in my head.
Comic | Art | Music | Blog | Anime | DVDs
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

kosure
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby kosure » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:19 am

I know these might be a little obscure for some of you but,
for Shinji I like Sigur Ros' Di Do
for Rei I like "Ladies and Gentlemen We are Floating In Space" by Spiritualized
"Italy" by Fuck
and "How to Fight Lonliness" by Wilco
Finally for Asuka I Like "Girl Inform Me" by the Shins
i think cosplay is a lot like communism, it seems like a good idea, but it never turns out the way you want.
Star Wars: The Ultimate Guide

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:41 am

-Apex Twin's "Let My Fish Loose", the abosolute most depressing song ever. You could be the happiest person on earth and this song will still pull you down. I can see it inserted at appropiate scenes.
-Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" wouldn't be bad either.
-The Seatbelts "Space Lion", I know its from Cowboy Bebop but it has sad, but yet primal feel to it. Like it would be used for after an intense battle when the characters are still coping with some of the consequneces. Or after a special someone passed away.

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:21 pm

Could someone be gracious enough to post the soundtrack list? As in what manga volume and what scene goes with each song.

"Yeah, Whatever" by Splendor for certain scenes involing Shinji and Asuka.

"(Even) More human than human" by the X-ecutioners (feat. Slug from Atmosphere) for EoE when Third Impact starts.
"Everyone but me has gone fucking nuts. I'm the eye of the goddam storm." - Tycho, Penny Arcade (Or a very irrate Fuyutsuki)

Genocide
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Genocide » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:11 pm

Metallica's Wasting My Hate because I saw an Eva AMV that featured the song. Thats the only song though.
"I wish everyone would just die."

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:13 pm

LoL. I knew I was gonna see this topic show up eventually.

Lesse, go ahead and kill me now for mentioning a lot of Marilyn Manson songs:

"Little Horn" (Shinji), "Cryptorchild" (Shinji), "Wormboy" (Shinji), "Antichrist Superstar" (Unit-01 and Third Impact), "The Reflecting God" (Third Impact), "Man That You Fear" (Vague interpretation of Shinji at Third Impact), "Mechanical Animals" (Rei), "Disassociative" (Shinji), "The Last Day On Earth" (Any readable romantic aspect/I don't know), "Astonishing Panorama of the Endtimes" (Shinji/the series as a series), "Disposable Teens" (Shinji and Gendo), "Crucifiction In Space" (the story as a whole), "The Death Song" (adults), "Count To Six And Die" (the story).

And no, I didn't list those for the sake of listing them.

"It Doesn't Matter Two" -Depeche Mode (Misato and Kaji), "Mutter" -Rammstein (Asuka, according to manga), "Sparks" -Overseer (Shinji and Asuka), "The Day The Whole World Went Away" -Nine Inch Nails (Post Third Impact), "Closer" -Nine Inch Nails (an event which has not yet transpired), "Sleep Around" -Prince (Misato, though I don't know why; more of a song she'd listen to than a song about her, and one of my very favorite songs partly because of this odd connection)... um... "Ruiner" -Nine Inch Nails (Partly Unit-01, partly some whore character that does not exist; it's more of a sound thing), "Something to Believe In" -Ramones cover by The Pretenders (Shinji, maybe Asuka), "My Gift To You" -KoRn (Shinji, Asuka, and that bizarre strangling ordeal), "No One's There" -KoRn (Shinji; T.V. ending), "I Hate This" -Static-X (Shinji's arrival into the story)...

This is actually a pointless exercise, since I could probably find a way to tie every song I have to Eva through some vague emotional interpretation or another.
Last edited by Hexon.Arq on Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:52 pm

Karma Burn wrote:Could someone be gracious enough to post the soundtrack list? As in what manga volume and what scene goes with each song.

http://www.evamonkey.com/alternate_eva_soundtrack.htm
http://www.evamonkey.com/alternate_eoe_soundtrack.htm

I'm sure that there are pieces of music out there that would be appropriate, from a certain perspective. But the problem in choosing music to fit a character or scene is that peoples opinion is based by what music they like, and people have varying tastes in music. With that in mind, I think I'll stick with Sagisu Shiro's music, even if I don't really like it all that much.

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:20 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote: I think I'll stick with Sagisu Shiro's music, even if I don't really like it all that much.

Yea, I don't think anything can replace Shiro's music. It's the perfect match for Evangelion.

houtaru
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby houtaru » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:19 am

I love the present score of evangelion too, especially EOE. Komm, Sussuer Todd is one of my favorite songs of all time. Bethoven's 9th, Air II, and Kanon in D always remind me of Eva. I'll hear Kanon during a wedding or at chruch and think of the characters in Eva playing it.

Singles that remind me of Eva are "I'm Just a Kid" - Simple Plan, "In this Together" - Nine Inch Nails, "Gotta Knock a Little Harder" - Mai Yamane. That last one is a Cowboy Bebop song, but it reminds me of Eva too.

"The Scientist" - Coldplay, actually reminds me of Gendo and Yui.

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby wildarmsheero » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:14 am

houtaru wrote: "Gotta Knock a Little Harder" - Mai Yamane.
Ah, I forgot to mention that one.
Comic | Art | Music | Blog | Anime | DVDs
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:15 pm

http://www.evamonkey.com/alternate_eva_soundtrack.htm

About two of those make sense, but okay...

_get some help

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:35 pm

I think most of those were chosen for their title and not their content...that just pisses me off...
"Everyone but me has gone fucking nuts. I'm the eye of the goddam storm." - Tycho, Penny Arcade (Or a very irrate Fuyutsuki)

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

I know what you mean...

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:07 am

I agree Karma Burn, the list just didn't work in my mind, I like most of the songs, just not in relation to music.

Although, like the Evamonkey said, it depends on your personal taste.
And I didn't start the thread thinking you could come up with something to replace Eva's soundtrack, that would NOT be cool.

I was just interested in hearing what songs you assosiate with Evangelion and why?
Weezer's 'Tired of Sex' for instance... is there something in Eva that really makes you think of that song or visa versa?
Hexon, Weird thing...I didn't think about it before but a lot of Manson songs actually fit...hmm.

My personal list...

"3 1/2" by AFI

With lyrics like
"I'm so sick so sick of myslef, mother say you'll pray for me!" and
"A small voice in the back of my mind that's whispering words I never wanted to hear.."

This song makes me think of Shinji Ikari every time I put it on.

"Points of Authority" by Linkin Park.

"You love the things I say I'll do-
The way I hurt myself again just to get back at you.
You take away when I give in, my life, mt pride is broken."

Mostly this verse but the whole song is Asuka.

"When the world ends" by Dave Mathews Band

Puts me in mind of Misato and Kaji.

"Death of Seasons" by AFI

Aggressive, Beautiful, but Tortured, this song just makes me think of Evangelion in General.

"Wide Eyed Wonder girl" by The Choir

"Wide eyed wonder girl, staring into the sky and wondering why..."
How can you hear that and not instantly see a mental image of everybody's favorite albino, Rei Ayanami?

"The great Dissapointment" by AFI

Oh, great third A Fire Inside, oh well...
It's a really sad song about losing something very important.
Just listen to the words, if Gendo had a theme song...

"So Far Away" by StainD

This makes me think of Shinji's core dillema during the TV ending.

"Reality" by StainD

This makes me think of Shinji's exteded "therapy session" in End of Eva.

"Remember" by Disturbed

If Asuka's thoughts while she was being mind raped by the Angel where put into song, it would sound something like this. When the song mentions "a mask" think "the Evangelion"

"Darkness" by Disturbed

What was going through Misato's mind as she said her final goodbye to Shinji in End Of Evangelion.

Pillows music like "another morning" and "Patricia" would go very well with the goofier scenes in Eva.
Whenever I think Pillows I think FLCL, of course then I think Eva.
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:29 am

Oh yeah, I forgot "Listen to my Voice," "Pure" and "I Can't Breathe" by Gary Numan. I bought that album when I bought Evangelion, and the two have been married in my mind ever since.

If you interpret Evangelion in its occult and emotional aspects and omit its cultural anime aspect, Manson's work is actually interpreting the same dillemas that Evangelion is, and in a very narrative sense. At least that's how I see it. The Antichrist/Omega/ADAM character strongly resemble Shinji to me, or at lest a variation thereof. Though to be honest, ADAM reminds me more of Gendo, or what Shinji might grow up to be. If Antichrist Superstar is loosely telling the same story as Evangelion (and it's hard not to see it unless you absolutely abhor Manson), then Mechanical Animals might present some inpiration for the world that awaits our characters thereafter, and Holy Wood may communicate the kind of person Shinji will grow up to be. Indeed, a sequel may not be impossible. There are a lot of emotional problems to iron out after an ordal like Third Impact. In MA, the people handled it with drugs and distractive shallowness, and a gospel of war had to be preached once more in the spirit of fignting the repetition of mistakes in HW. Shinji may yet have more work to do as a Messiah.

Damn, now I want to see those sequels. I smell a pair of long fanfictions...

_get some help

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:36 pm

Any likin park song goes with eva

and Unforgiven 2 by metellica for the impacts
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

thedarkorb
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby thedarkorb » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:14 pm

Some nice songs I see here…Pretty much any NIN song can be associated with Eva. :P

Thought this thread was kind of old and needed some sort of rejuvenating so alas…I have created my own “Eva-Mix”. Most of the lists and AMVs for Eva that I’ve seen are very much rock based (70’s prog, Fallout Boy, emo crap). There is nothing wrong with rock music, but I’m starting to find it a little cliché when thrown on top of Eva. So instead of making a simple list, I’ve decided to do something different and actually create a mix (that you can actually hear!), set to minimal electronic music with a some orchestral stuff thrown in. The text in bold connects the song with a particular character/idea.

01. Intro (The Beast) – Shiro Sagisu
02. JAL To Tokyo – Underworld
03. Idioteque – Radiohead Third Impact
04. Furious Angels (Instrumental) – Rob Dougan The Angels
05. Ave Maria - Giulio Caccini
06. For Silence – Paul Hartnoll Rei-II
07. I’m Still Awake – Hybrid Shinji
08. 5 Years – Björk Asuka to Shinji
09. Unfinished Sympathy – Massive Attack Misato
10. Overtures: Atmospheres - Gyorgy Ligeti
11. Untitled – Aphex Twin Mind Train/Depression
12. Heart Of Darkness – Elite Force Shinji/EVA-01
13. God Given – Nine Inch Nails Seele
14. Bereit (Ready) – KMFDM Asuka/EVA-02
15. Meltdown – Orbital
16. Domain – The Future Sound Of London
17. Out From The Deep – Enigma Kaworu

ACTIVATE: Eva-Redux

I understand moderators might have a problem with me posting a link to music that you can download like anywhere else, but let me at least say this. If you like a song in my list, just buy it. Simple as that. I’ve checked and most of them can be bought via the iTunes music store (that is, if you dig Apple.co). I have posted this here for you guys solely, so don’t even think about linking this to another site! ;)

If I get away with posting this, then I’d like to hear any compilations anyone else has made.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:19 pm

Necro thread alert. Seriously, this thing hasn't been posted in for 3 years.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:24 pm

But I thought necromancy was encouraged on this board. :wink:

Anyway back on topic, Pink Floyd is a damn fine choice to go with Eva IMO.

thedarkorb
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby thedarkorb » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:26 pm

...and? I couldn't find any other thread like this and didn't see any need creating the same topic over again.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”