How did you first get into Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:13 pm

Happen to catch an episode years ago and I've been horribly addicted since.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

cogitoergosum
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby cogitoergosum » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:08 pm

I was viciously searching the web for new anime content and I came across Evangelion. I sometimes wonder if I our fateful encounter was blessedness or my undoing.
And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. -Friedrich Nietzsche-

Ambrosia
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ambrosia » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:41 pm

I first watched it on TV back in '95, and back then I was too young to understand much of what was going on, but I did dig the blue-haired girl and the huge robots. I was sad when it was over, but I pretty much forgot about it. Fast forward five years, and one afternoon I was lazily zapping through my new cable channels, when I came across a familiar redhead. Cue in me staring at the screen for a while, trying to remember where I knew her from, and then the proverbial lightbulb lit up. That was the beginning of a long-lived love affair (heck, I'm still in love with it), and my only regret is that I didn't buy all the TV series DVDs when they were still available in the market in my country, about seven years ago (but I was poorer back then). Just thinking about how much I forked out for the DR and EoE DVDs still makes me shudder, but I know I'd do it all over again.

duexmachina
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby duexmachina » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:47 pm

i was about 14 at the time.saw a random episode on tv once and didn't think much of it,something about the shows name that just stuck in my head.later i remember watching a commercial of it.i remember seeing unit 1 and unit 2 side by side kinda of combined which wasn't the case at all(ep 9)and thought it looked very interesting.a few years later adult swim started to play NGE.it wasn't until episode 15 that i started to watch and follow it weekly.after the disappointment of episodes 25-26 i craved moar.and i didn't want to watch the movie until i saw the whole show.so i went out and bought a box set that had all the episodes,D&R and EoE.i marathon the anime,skipped school and rewatched my favorite episodes for about 3 days afterwards i had a small case of depression .eva did help me through some tough times. B^)
So knives out.

Ikari_Gendou
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ikari_Gendou » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:09 am

It was a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...
I was with a friend and I found in a magazine some eva stuff
the I started looking for the series
that was about 9 years ago xD

since then, I'm in love with Asuka =D

Kaworu-chan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kaworu-chan » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:30 pm

I first got into Eva during my freshman year of high school and I first watched it on Cartoon Network. I loved it. That was like four years ago but I'm still hooked! :grin:

iSuka
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby iSuka » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:26 am

I found it by chance.
I was surfing the Internet browsing for some Celldweller stuff, and I found an AMV that matched it and Eva.
The bad thing of it is that I started watching it the opposite I should... Asuka fighting the MPE is the first Eva glimpse I had!!!
Anyway, I´m terribly addicted to Eva since then.
Ippen... Shin de miru?

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:18 pm

Purely by chance. During a time period, a german television channel VOX had late anime nights. One of them was Evangelion.

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:59 pm

I've known about EVA for about ten years now (Basically since I got into anime.) To be honest, I had no interest in the series, however, the character Rei Ayanami caught my eye and stayed with me (Rei was my first anime crush.) Then years later, I literally woke up one summer morning and told myself I needed to check out EVA. I actually gathered all the info I could on the series before watching it (I know the reputation this series had and I knew this series had things called “Mind Fucks.”) I got the Platinum box set later that year and would you have guessed it, I watched the best anime series I have ever seen in my life. :woohoo:
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

AVman9
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby AVman9 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:22 pm

DevRei17 wrote:I actually gathered all the info I could on the series before watching it (I know the reputation this series had and I knew this series had things called “Mind Fucks.”)

I did it the hard way. I got mindfucked and then I did research. Bad idea.
Take a wild guess at what the AV means....
Adult Video? -The Eva Monkey

You raise the blade...
You make the change...
You rearrange me 'till I'm sane...

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:24 pm

AVman9 wrote:I did it the hard way. I got mindfucked and then I did research. Bad idea.

That isn't a bad idea. Doing research before hand just spoils the fun. :sigh:
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:34 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:
AVman9 wrote:I did it the hard way. I got mindfucked and then I did research. Bad idea.

That isn't a bad idea. Doing research before hand just spoils the fun. :sigh:

Funny thing is I did the research and was still surprised by what I saw. Nothing could prepare me for the awesomeness of this show until I saw it. Hell, by the time I got to the second episode, I had forgot all my research I had done.
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:25 am

Not so -- I knew that it was supposedly a superior giant robot series and there was something up about the final episodes and that was about it.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:20 pm

I was chatting about anime with a (female) friend of mine; she loves yaoi (like about the 80% of anime fan girls) and mentioned the everlasting Shinji-Kaworu debate... And the name "Evangelion" caugh mi atention... I borrowed the series from a friend's friend and... dom dom dom...
I became what I'm now...
A monster...

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:58 pm

funny thing is that I did a small amount of research on it after I saw the first three episodes, I took a small glimpse of how it ended on wiki & the first thing that came to mind was "Who the hell is Asuka?" & I then looked up the wiki on her & went "What's so important about her?"

Perhaps this ultimately dictated why I don't like Ms. Soryu, as well as that I (At first) thought something special was going to happen between Shinji & Rei (This is WAY before I joined the forum & watched the rest of the series, since this was before I rented Vol. 3 of the Perfect Collection. Plus, I swear that I did not see the flash image of Gendo before Rei smiled)
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:41 am

GasmaskAvenger wrote:I (At first) thought something special was going to happen between Shinji & Rei
Anyone who hasn't been spoilered to hell would naturally assume that after the first half-dozen episodes.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:49 am

Apparently all it took to get my 10 year old brother interested in Eva was four years of living with a crazy fan and Rebuild. I watched 1.01 with him, and ever since he's been like "Lets watch Eva! :D", so we marathoned the entire series today. Not sure how he reacted to the later episodes, nor the EoE.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:54 am

Mr. Tines wrote:
GasmaskAvenger wrote:I (At first) thought something special was going to happen between Shinji & Rei
Anyone who hasn't been spoilered to hell would naturally assume that after the first half-dozen episodes.

i'm not kidding

I virtually knew absolutely nothing about EVA when I first got into it back in March/April
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:56 am

Mr. Tines wrote:Anyone who hasn't been spoilered to hell would naturally assume that after the first half-dozen episodes.

And probably realize it's not going to happen after the next six. ;)

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:10 am

GasmaskAvenger wrote:I virtually knew absolutely nothing about EVA when I first got into it back in March/April
All I knew about NGE on first viewing was that it was a highly regarded giant robot title, with some controversy about the ending.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”