Favorite/Least favorite charas & why

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Alastor » Thu May 19, 2011 7:47 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Guhh, I'm not some sort of larvae...

That's right. We all know that if you developed past your current stage there'd be no more horrfying yaoi fangirls.

SO WHAT ARE WAITING FOR, EVOLVE ALREADY.
"Are you suggesting Toji was nearly killed because his eva had a yeast infection?" - NemZ
"You know...pretty much everybody has a motive to kill Kaji. So let's just take this to it's logical conclusion and say Pen-Pen killed Kaji in a jealous fit of rage over Misato." - Trajan

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat May 21, 2011 6:19 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Why are you making the separation? Surely you're not assuming I think of Shinji as a real person...
If you're talking about despising Shinji for things he does then you are treating him as a real person, unless you're saying it makes him a bad character because they don't fit with his character or are unrealistic or cliche or whatever.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Xous
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xous » Sat May 21, 2011 7:22 pm

Just going by the original series... My favorite character would have to be Kaworu Nagisa. I've always found the Angels more interesting than anything else in the series, so having a humanlike Angel that actually interacts with the cast was awesome. His mysterious (yet somehow also open and honest at times) nature and ties to Seele were really fascinating. I suppose the real appeal was the idea of having a "God" in human form. Hearing words from a "God's" mouth. I dunno.

Other characters I liked were Keel, Gendo, Shinji, and Asuka. Keel and Gendo for sticking to their plans, Shinji and Asuka for their overall character and actions throughout the series.

As far as Rebuild is concerened, my favorite characters remain the same, excluding the addition of Mari. Like Kaworu, she's mysterious, but I also like her ability to push herself to the limit in battle. As Rebuild progresses, I'll be able to determine if I still like Kaworu and Mari, but so far they haven't disappointed.

EdmundC
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EdmundC » Sat May 21, 2011 7:37 pm

I'll agree with Kaworu being one of the more interesting angels, and adding to that would be Arael. Despite its aggressive (HAAAALLAYLOOYAH) methods, it did show a mutual relationship of mystery between humanity and the rest of the angels.

Then there's Matarael. Surely he must've been the bullied angel prior to the events of EVA, what with the crying-all-the-time and being vulnerable to bullets...

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sat May 21, 2011 7:41 pm

View Original PostEdmundC wrote:Then there's Matarael. Surely he must've been the bullied angel prior to the events of EVA, what with the crying-all-the-time and being vulnerable to bullets...

Matarael cried so much, that she ran out of tears and started crying acid that she drank (yes, she drinks acid, unlike us) to drown away the problems she had by being bullied by the other angels because they chucked pallets (I think thats what they called the rounds on the pallet guns) at her.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

EdmundC
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EdmundC » Sat May 21, 2011 7:48 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:Matarael cried so much, that she ran out of tears and started crying acid that she drank (yes, she drinks acid, unlike us) to drown away the problems she had by being bullied by the other angels because they chucked pallets (I think thats what they called the rounds on the pallet guns) at her.

That probably explains why her (forgot about the whole single-sex thing) AT Field dropped at a seemingly random time. Her childhood memories took the best of her.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sat May 21, 2011 8:03 pm

View Original PostEdmundC wrote:That probably explains why her (forgot about the whole single-sex thing) AT Field dropped at a seemingly random time. Her childhood memories took the best of her.

The only reason why I say she is because her name is Matarael. It begins like Matriarch, or maternal. They are both feminine, so I find that it makes sense.

Perhaps we could start a topic on which gender the angels "would" be.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

EdmundC
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EdmundC » Sat May 21, 2011 8:15 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:The only reason why I say she is because her name is Matarael. It begins like Matriarch, or maternal. They are both feminine, so I find that it makes sense.

Perhaps we could start a topic on which gender the angels "would" be.

I agreed because I recall hearing elsewhere that the angels, lacking need for traditional procreation, would be female by default (even Adam and Kaworu/Tabris).
So... I think a topic on that subject has already been done. Anyone have a link?

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sat May 21, 2011 8:18 pm

Nope, just searched it up on both site tracker and google. Fire away!
The Moats of Quotes

Cross of Iron
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cross of Iron » Sat May 21, 2011 11:37 pm

Asuka is my favorite character. (see avatar)

Anyway, I like her because she's a very complex character, very vulnerable despite the tough exterior. Plus, she's German, and I have German heritage, so there's that. :asuka_thumbsup:

EvaTheSeventh
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EvaTheSeventh » Sun May 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Asuka- Cuz she acts like a bitch :luigi_dance:
But really, I just liked the personality.
Eva Unit 02 was boss. The MP EVAs killed it. That makes those creepy bastards even more boss..!!?

"Only an idiot tells the truth on the internet."

"How disgusting" -Asuka Soryu

Theshiggityshwa
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Theshiggityshwa » Sun May 22, 2011 10:08 pm

Asuka. She resonates with the darkest part of me that I want to keep hidden from others. I still keep those feelings inside of me but I'm becoming a lot less grave about it. It comforts me to know that there's some kind of reassurance and security in my turmoil. And what makes it awesome is that sense of having something to cope with is an anime character for me! :asuka_thumbsup:
Pursue happiness...
With Diligence...

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:27 pm

I have a new one: Fem-Kaji
The Moats of Quotes

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:16 pm

Gendo, just cause :gendo:.

Don't see why Kaworu gets so much attention, I just see him as an Angel. I lol'd heartily when he got eaten in Retake. :lol:

Miuzaki
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Miuzaki » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:25 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:Don't see why Kaworu gets so much attention, I just see him as an Angel

Agreed. Why cant everyone see that guy for what he is... A DAMN ANGEL.

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Someone » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:54 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:Gendo, just cause :gendo:.

Don't see why Kaworu gets so much attention, I just see him as an Angel. I lol'd heartily when he got eaten in Retake. :lol:

I hate you now. Ur both just angelphobic!

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:14 pm

View Original PostSomeone wrote:I hate you now. Ur both just angelphobic!

For a second I thought you said I was Anglophobic :biii:

Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Alastor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:00 pm

Next to Pen-Pen (AKA the sanest creature in the franchise), I'd say either Asuka or Kaji.
Asuka's a lovable bitch, and Kaji is charming as hell.
"Are you suggesting Toji was nearly killed because his eva had a yeast infection?" - NemZ
"You know...pretty much everybody has a motive to kill Kaji. So let's just take this to it's logical conclusion and say Pen-Pen killed Kaji in a jealous fit of rage over Misato." - Trajan

Miuzaki
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Miuzaki » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:50 pm

View Original PostAlastor wrote:Asuka's a lovable bitch,

Her very violent and rebellious attitude is not seen full light by people as her looks and other personality perks almost seem to just eliminate the fact that she would slap you just for saying that you're sorry too many times.

She is quite perplexing isn't she?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:25 pm

View Original PostMiuzaki wrote:Agreed. Why cant everyone see that guy for what he is... A DAMN ANGEL.

This is actually the core of my argument as to why people shipping Kaworu and Shinji are way off base.

View Original PostMiuzaki wrote:Her very violent and rebellious attitude is not seen full light by people as her looks and other personality perks almost seem to just eliminate the fact that she would slap you just for saying that you're sorry too many times.

She is quite perplexing isn't she?

Meh. Asuka's abusive elements are as overhyped by the fandom as her tsundere bits (which is to say they really aren't there at all). Who's choking someone out in EoE? Not Asuka. Who gets raped and beaten to death in same? Oh yeah, Asuka. Her actions throughout the Descent arc are those of a wounded animal, thrashing about and hitting the occasional bystander (Shinji in exactly one case, as I recall) purely by happenstance. Apart from that she's pretty much harmless.

So no, not that perplexing.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”