Favorite/Least favorite charas & why

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:14 am

Joseph the PRPD wrote:One character I really don't like is Mana from GoS. She seemed more like a friggin plot device then a character.

"Plot device" is giving Mana wayyyyy too much credit, dude. Sure she's a "character". She's just a really phony and annoying one -- the new "cute girl" created solely to sell copies of Girlfriend of Steel, and to expand Shinji's harem.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:54 am

Reichu wrote:She's just a really phony and annoying one -- the new "cute girl" created solely to sell copies of Girlfriend of Steel, and to expand Shinji's harem.

Agreed. I admit that Mana, being a character of a more stable psychological status, is very lovely. But it also appears to me that her existence adds to the plot some absurdity and somehow severs the storyline (I think the only ending which best connects back to the main storyline is the 'Asuka Ending' which is also my favourite). But still, the game is good and I love its soundtracks.

Oops I think I've plunged into the area of the topic 'Girlfriend of Steel'.

Alright, I just hate Keel Lorentz the cyborg bloke. I can never understand how 'the annihilation of mankind and the subsequent merging of all souls into what Lilith leaks' can be regarded as evolution. As Gendo says in EoE, death creates nothing. All in all, he and his colleagues are pure perverts to me.
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

Zaiku
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zaiku » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:30 am

Mana is so 2 dimmensional... No character development either. Then again, I can't blame her, since she was part of a game that was made for a quick buck IMO.
For the love of everything... Watch this video: Give it 5 stars and leave a comment. Even, subscribe... Maybe? Well, I'd appreciate it. >_>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiBcbfvcE6c
"I did it for the lulz." ~Me: on everything

Marzan
Adam

Ritsuko and Shinji

•      
  •      

Postby Marzan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:22 am

Ritsuko is extremely annoying in the english dub. Much better in Japanese.

And Shinjis reactions to everything under the sun. I have never been as annoyed and fascinated by a character at the same time.
And everything under the Sun is in tune, but the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon- Roger Waters

"Timeo hominem unius libris"

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:47 am

Vegeta 20XX wrote:Gendo.

For topic only.

I'm surprised no one ever did a Goenitz-Gendo comparison. Ever lookef at them? THEY'RE FUCKING TWINS.
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Re: Ritsuko and Shinji

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:22 am

Marzan wrote:Ritsuko is extremely annoying in the english dub. Much better in Japanese.

Word.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:40 am

-Japanese-Ritsuko
-Matareal(9th angel)
-Japanese-Shinji(semi don't like)
-Japanese-Asuka
-Mana

Edit:
Oh yeah.
I'll add the original english voice for Kaworu. It was like nails on a chalkboard. And it was as if there was no emotion and he was reading from a script.

The director's cut voice is much better.
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:47 am

WHOA, WHOA, WHOA. No need to throw around racial slurs just because you don't like them.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:50 am

ZapalacX wrote:WHOA, WHOA, WHOA. No need to throw around racial slurs just because you don't like them.

Wha??
What racial slurs?

EDIT: If you mean "Jap-" How is that a racial slur? I put "jap-" there meaning the Japanese voice.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:58 am

:facepalm:
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:05 am

The abbreviation "Jap" was used during the Second World War to refer to the Japanese, along with more blatantly insulting nicknames. It may not be particularly insulting in and of itself, but it has strong negative connotations and is best not used in public.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:08 am

UrsusArctos wrote:The abbreviation "Jap" was used during the Second World War to refer to the Japanese, along with more blatantly insulting nicknames. It may not be particularly insulting in and of itself, but it has strong negative connotations and is best not used in public.

Okay...
I'll keep that in mind and edit my post.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:36 pm

[tangent]

Hellfire wrote:Clearly, throughout the entire present period of the show, the one thing that was driving him was to get back with Yui, and nothing else to him mattered; everything, and everyone else was simply a tool to be used.

Ever wonder what might have happened if Gendo just flat-out told him that all of this was really to bring his mom back?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

SAWgunner
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SAWgunner » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:59 pm

I think that after a lot of angst and soul-searching, Shinji would've gotten on board with with Gendo.

xfactor30seconds
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby xfactor30seconds » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:35 am

i like Asuka but i also like Shinji mainly because he is the ONLY anime character I've seen be so self lothing and almost emo lol
he is Really angsty
http://myanimelist.net/profile/xfactor30seconds

my anime list :)

Evangelion Geeks GOOOOOOO
lol yeah

Jedi_Master
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Jedi_Master » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:01 pm

Misato. She knows how to handle a gun, can kick some serious ass when she needs to (see use of said gun in EoE or smacking the shit out of Dr. Akagi now and then), is smart, intelligent, compassionate, and pretty easy going most of the time. And she's hot.

tommh
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tommh » Fri May 01, 2009 11:50 am

All of them, kthxbye

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Sat May 02, 2009 2:57 pm

I didn't really like any of the characters except for Kaji, who was cool and 007-like. This is not to say that the other characters weren't good (they were very interesting and well-developed), it's just that Kaji was cooler than all of them.

Misato probably gets my vote for favorite female character.

TheLobe
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheLobe » Sun May 03, 2009 12:53 am

I relate most with Shinji, but my favourite characters are Kaji and kaworu, cause they're like perfect.

Evayo
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Evayo » Sun May 03, 2009 12:58 am

Well now, let's see here...

I like Kaworu, because I like his story and motivation. His character contains such depth despite having so little screentime, and his words are haunting and create an eerie feeling within the viewer, the feeling that you can change nothing without first changing yourself.

There's that, and I also like Maya, because... well, because she's adorable.

I HAVE SPOKEN!!!

~:Evayo:~

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”