Old timers: Why do you keep coming back to Eva?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:19 pm

what keeps me to eva is kinda like the fact that most anime freaks are drawn to tokyo in one way or another, it just does. It's just all around great.
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

Lethal GD Weapon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lethal GD Weapon » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:04 am

I would have to say that what keeps me drawn to Eva is the characters that are so well developed that you can imagine having a conversation with them. My psychiatrist watched the series and ended up with several pages of notes on each of the characters and their behavior. Also, the ability to relate to the characters to some extent (i.e. the desire to push people away, being unsure of the meaning of one's existence, ect...). That, and we're all nuts.

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:09 am

I never really did figure it. I think it has something to do with the characters. Maybe the plot. Maybe just the mystery surrounding it. I don't know. I like it. That's that.
"Everyone but me has gone fucking nuts. I'm the eye of the goddam storm." - Tycho, Penny Arcade (Or a very irrate Fuyutsuki)

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:41 pm

What drew me in was the Begining and the theme song. And of corse the super hot chick Rei.
Last edited by Dark FireStar on Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Lethal GD Weapon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lethal GD Weapon » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:51 pm

I think someone might have an unhealthy obsession with Rei... (looks accusingly at Dark FireStar)

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:52 pm

How is that unhealthy? I think my obession with Rei is what drives me to do better.
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Lethal GD Weapon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lethal GD Weapon » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:23 pm

Drives you to do better in what way? Better at blindly following orders without any thought to consiquence? (no, I don't hate Rei, I'm just giving Dark FireStar a hard time. Please don't hurt me.)

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:26 pm

Dark FireStar wrote:And of corse the Rei.

Rei is not a thing.. :x
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:41 pm

Rei is just a regular person once you get to know her. Shes funny to in a weird gloomy way but her jokes stick. Shes clean and always used to get after me for not keeping my stuff clean. Damn! Never should have taken this job>_<! I didnt say Rei was a thing either when did I say that? The reason I say she drives me to do better is because she is demanding. Not very demanding just.....demanding.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:51 pm

Dark FireStar wrote:I didnt say Rei was a thing either when did I say that?

Dark FireStar wrote:What drew me in was the Begining and the theme song. And of corse the Rei.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:53 pm

Actually Rei is a slob and Shinji cleaned up her room once, or did you forget that.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:55 pm

I dident say that!

Lethal GD Weapon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lethal GD Weapon » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:29 am

If anything, the fact that her room looks like second impact occured in it is proof that she is a nomal teeage girl. It's Shinji that has the problems.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:34 am

Lethal GD Weapon wrote:If anything, the fact that her room looks like second impact occured in it is proof that she is a nomal teeage girl.

Normal teenage girls would at least hopefully have the sense to get rid of bloody medical waste. Just look at Rei's pillow. Eewwwww.

さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Lethal GD Weapon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lethal GD Weapon » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:40 am

I'll raise my hand next time I decide to try and make a joke.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:14 pm

Rei's reasons for having such a messy room are a bit worse than the average teenager's reasons. It's the difference between apathy and laziness.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:25 pm

heh heh If all girls are supposed to be clean my sisters dident get the memo lol.

Lethal GD Weapon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lethal GD Weapon » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:03 pm

Dark FireStar wrote:heh heh If all girls are supposed to be clean my sisters dident get the memo lol.

Nor did mine... nor did mine.

peripateia
Adam

Old timers: Why do you keep coming back to Eva?

•      
  •      

Postby peripateia » Thu May 04, 2017 9:33 pm

To everyone who's seen the original series a while ago, what is it that keeps you guys from moving on and forgetting about it?

For me, I relate to eva's characters on a deep and personal level. Even after 10 years have passed since my first viewing as a teenager, I'm coming back to it as a relatively adult-isn person and can appreciate Shinji's journey of coping with his depression. It's a bit of a cliche to say, but I find Shinji, Asuka and Misato's struggles with loneliness somehow comforting to me and sometimes I come back to this series when I'm struggling to cope with loneliness myself.

And I absolutely love the artwork, particularly Takeshi Honda's animation style. I can appreciate his style and contributions in the Rebuild films as well, but NGE and EoE were really something special.

Deep down, I think I still feel as though the series hasn't ended, that Shinji, Asuka, Misato's stories haven't finished from the cliffhanger in EoE. And I'm rather desperate to see what happens to the Children five, ten years down the road. Have they learned to communicate their feelings to strangers? Have they come to terms with the mother who left them, the father who abandoned them? And have they found a measure of self-worth in their struggles? It's strange that I care about them so deeply, but I really yearn for the affirmation that their struggle was worth it, that somehow they made it through.

Yes, there's still the final Rebuild film, but unfortunately I doubt it'll provide closure for me. What do you guys think?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Old timers: Why do you keep coming back to Eva?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu May 04, 2017 9:42 pm

I take breaks when I need to, but I still have some things I need to get off my chest before I can just walk away and feel satisfied.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”