Why has Khara completely abandoned NGE in marketing/merchandising in favor of Rebuild?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Charizard
Embryo

Why has Khara completely abandoned NGE in marketing/merchandising in favor of Rebuild?

•      
  •      

Postby Charizard » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:51 am

Does Rebuild appeal more to casual audiences? It seems like Khara's trying to push it as the new "definitive" version of the franchise, especially 2.0 which is the most popular of the Rebuild movies; at least the movies are good (unlike say the Star Wars prequels which were treated similarly in their heyday) and a lot of fans prefer them, but Rebuild still can't hold a candle to the impact and popularity that the original TV show had.
My main hobby is dressing up as a 14-year-old girl
Instagram|Cosplay Facebook

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

Re: Why has Khara completely abandoned NGE in marketing/merchandising in favor of Rebuild?

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:04 am

Well I'd say that it's most likely because the Rebuilds are the newest and most current project so it makes more sense for them to push those over anything else at this point in time.

They want to make sure the Rebuilds are the ones that people are thinking of right now when they think of anything Evangelion, so that when people pick up merch they'll see the name of the film of the 3.0 and go "Oh yeah, there is another one to come"

Charizard
Embryo

Re: Why has Khara completely abandoned NGE in marketing/merchandising in favor of Rebuild?

•      
  •      

Postby Charizard » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:16 am

View Original Postjcmoorehead wrote:Well I'd say that it's most likely because the Rebuilds are the newest and most current project so it makes more sense for them to push those over anything else at this point in time.

They want to make sure the Rebuilds are the ones that people are thinking of right now when they think of anything Evangelion, so that when people pick up merch they'll see the name of the film of the 3.0 and go "Oh yeah, there is another one to come"

Makes sense, but it doesn't hurt to keep up a bit of NGE marketing/merchandising even if it's still less than Rebuild. Though Koto did just give us that EVA-01 TV model kit, and a juice box promotion was based on the 26 episodes of NGE, but it feels strange for Rebuild to displace it to the extent that it is. It's to the point that the 20th anniversary prize figures were based on 3.0 (and not even the more nostalgic and definitive 2.0 designs) rather than NGE; a 2015 figure of Asuka Langley Soryu would be a lot more special and sought-after than just another eyepatch'd Shikinami with nothing to mark her as a special anniversary figure.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:51 am

There's also the fact that NGE isn't an original Khara property; it was originally produced by Gainax. Khara only somewhat recently acquired the full rights to the original series.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Charizard
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Charizard » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:57 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:There's also the fact that NGE isn't an original Khara property; it was originally produced by Gainax. Khara only somewhat recently acquired the full rights to the original series.

So maybe that's why we're seeing NGE merchandise starting to trickle out little by little?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:58 am

Is there any piece of NGE merchandise that hasn't been made yet that still needs to be made? :headscratch: Aside from the Shamshel dildo, of course.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:29 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Aside from the Shamshel dildo, of course.

Leliel anal beads.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:49 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Is there any piece of NGE merchandise that hasn't been made yet that still needs to be made? :headscratch: Aside from the Shamshel dildo, of course.

I guess it's not technically merchandise if a fan makes it but I'm working on something you all will just love.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:03 pm

Chuckman presents:

VideodREIome

Lifesize doll. Yours for only 69 payments of $69.69
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:38 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Is there any piece of NGE merchandise that hasn't been made yet that still needs to be made? :headscratch: Aside from the Shamshel dildo, of course.

Don't forget the Shamshel whips for S&M and bastardization of Rei by actually making her the "perfect waifu" without everything that made her such a wonderful character.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:59 am

A non-shit articulated Shinji would be nice. So far the options we have are:
[list="Articulated Shinjis"][*]Ancient Volks garage kit, which is huge and not very good.
[*]RAH Shinji in a plugsuit, who has a face that looks like a 'nam veteran, complete with thousand yard stare of horror and undying hate.
[*]RAH Uniform Shinji, which is much the same but with the added "bonus" of looking like a victim of the Ethiopian famine.[/list]

And the last two are technically Rebuild!
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:14 pm

I could not find Ramiel toilet paper dispenser just now... My life is not complete without one...
The art of being grown up, the dirty little secret nobody lets on about, is that it's all about getting comfortable with acting the part, and reaching that point where you stop giving a fuck, and do stuff that needs to be done, because it just needs doing, and ain't nobody else going to do it for you. -Mr. Tines

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:23 pm

I feel as if a Zeruel toilet-paper dispenser would be much more appropriate, given that his arms are basically toilet-paper.
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:28 pm

Whhaaat... My mind is getting mushy. I honestly double-checked the name before writing it but it still came out like that. Zeruel, of course. Sry.

I'll blame it on being on a phone and with a serious case of sleep deprivation due to recently becoming a dad. Yeah, that's it.
The art of being grown up, the dirty little secret nobody lets on about, is that it's all about getting comfortable with acting the part, and reaching that point where you stop giving a fuck, and do stuff that needs to be done, because it just needs doing, and ain't nobody else going to do it for you. -Mr. Tines

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:44 pm

You've recently become a father? In that case:

Congratulations!

SPOILER: Show
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:42 pm

View Original PostBiQ wrote:I could not find Ramiel toilet paper dispenser just now... My life is not complete without one...

Wouldn't that toilet just shoot up your butt instead of cleaning it?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:02 pm

That's because you should be looking for a Ramiel bidet.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:32 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:That's because you should be looking for a Ramiel bidet.

Nah, you're thinking of Ramiel's drill being used as a butt plug.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:03 am

I'd rather Ramiel got made into, you know, an actual drill. Or a microwave. Or a speaker. Or all three.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:23 pm

How about Ramiel's screams being used in place of an airhorn?

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”