This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: Never seen Evangelion before - Dub or Sub?

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:41 pm

I still find it hard to believe that the washed-out colors and hazy lighting on the EoE disc weren't deliberate and I can barely imagine the film without them
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:26 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:I still find it hard to believe that the washed-out colors and hazy lighting on the EoE disc weren't deliberate and I can barely imagine the film without them

Nostalgia takes its toll on all us.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Eliaskar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Eliaskar » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:28 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:The other real problem with the English dub is that it was associated with a particularly bad DVD transfer, meaning that any version of it you can get will likely have incredibly bad picture quality. If you can find a copy of the zx version (copied from Japanese laserdisk) or the blu ray version you'll enjoy a much richer visual experience than you would with the dub.

Many people also dislike EoE's voice actor performances, but that's more of a subjective thing.

Would it be difficult to find such a version online? I imagine you would have to add your own English subs to it. I'd be interested in seeing a version which isn't the Manga UK DVD which I have.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:41 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Nostalgia takes its toll on all us.

And sometimes an accident is better than what you intended
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:02 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I don't think anyone's gone to the trouble of matching up the English dub to the zx or BD versions, but I could be wrong.

Me. :tongue:
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:41 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Me. :tongue:

You would, you crazy Brit. :lol:

Well folks, if anyone wants a high quality EoE dub, Paul's your man!
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:48 pm

I remember a while back I saw a screenshot of an EoE Renewal edition torrent with "dubtitles", at least for Shinji's famous line in the hospital scene.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:24 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:And sometimes an accident is better than what you intended

I dunno, man. I always appreciated how Evangelion was able to tell an emotionally compelling narrative and go to very dark places without feeling the need to desaturate its color palette. So few "serious" movies have an actual range of colors that it's kind of refreshing to see something as dial as EoE can be at times and still convey the proper emotions using the full color range.

I mean, yeah, I got used to the washed out colors too, and thought they were very stable for the tone of the film. But seeing the Renewal and the Blu-ray EoE with its original color palette back, visually putting the "neon" in "Neon Genesis Evangelion"... it just felt so right to me. And it's something I wish more movies felt more comfortable doing when telling their "serious" or "compelling" stories.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:57 am

View Original Postantinitrogen wrote:After careful consideration, I think I'll watch the series dubbed the first time.

Well, it seems that you already have decided but still i would recommend you to start with the sub. Then in this order: 1-26(the DC of 21-24), EOE, Rebuild films.

I would leave the dub for the second viewing.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

antinitrogen
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby antinitrogen » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:30 pm

Last edited by antinitrogen on Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fuyutsuki_Fan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fuyutsuki_Fan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:29 pm

I started with the dub first (for obvious reason that I knew virtually no Japanese back then) then watched it sub. To be honest I really have no preference of one over the other. I watch sub anime all the time but I can definitely see why many refuse to watch dub anime, Evangelion included, because some voices don't match with the character(s) being portrayed or words being mistranslated etc.
"Your truth can be changed simply by the way you accept it. That's how fragile the truth for a human is."

antinitrogen
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby antinitrogen » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:08 pm

Last edited by antinitrogen on Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:51 pm

6 times wow. You are really serious about your anime lol. Good luck.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:58 am

I've re-watched Eva consistently every year or so since about 2009, and I'm pretty sure I haven't watched Ep1 6 times just yet. (If I did hit my 6th time, it was probably when I bought the Blu-rays and wanted to hear the original 2.0 stereo mix for the first time.)

antinitrogen
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby antinitrogen » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:59 pm

Last edited by antinitrogen on Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:46 pm

You're finished already? Nice. Let us know how EoE goes.

antinitrogen
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby antinitrogen » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:49 pm

Last edited by antinitrogen on Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:16 am

View Original Postantinitrogen wrote:Just finished EoE and wow that was amazing! Eva is a masterpiece! I loved both endings. I have a few questions though.

SPOILER: Show
Are the two endings part of each other? Or are they meant to replace each other? As I take it 25+26 has Gendo commence Instrumentality, with Shinji realizing he can learn to love himself. Generally a pretty heartwarming and happy ending. In EoE he rejects Instrumentality and Lilith dies (does Shinji or Unit 01 kill her?). The final scene is Shinji and Asuka on a beach surrounded by impaled Evas, part of Lilith and graves of people like Misato. I thought Shinji's rejection would bring everyone back? How is Asuka there? What happens next? Are they doomed?

Even though EoE left me confused all the way through, I loved every second of it.

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/2270/Passage-of-Time-EoE-Final-Scene/
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/13181/End-of-Evangelion-ending/
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/8283/EoE-last-scene/
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/3858/Why-did-Asuka-reincarnate-on-that-beach/
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/3323/Asuka-on-the-beach-tangent-split/
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/8496/Finished-watching-TV-Series-and-The-End-of-EvaQUESTIONS/
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/7776/Question-About-Asuka-at-the-End-of-EoE/
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/1457/The-Ending-of-the-End-of-Evangelion/
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/459/Shinji-Asuka-and-Life-after-End-of-Evangelion-and-quot/

These threads will probably help you.
SPOILER: Show
I stole them from a Mr.Tines post ^_^
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:48 am

View Original Postantinitrogen wrote:Just finished EoE and wow that was amazing! Eva is a masterpiece! I loved both endings. I have a few questions though.

Join the argumentdiscussion!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:20 am

The magic word for your first two questions is "concurrency", and people argue from all directions on that.

Don't be afraid to revive any of the old threads on the topic of the ending(s).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”