007 Reference in "Asuka Strikes"

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

007 Reference in "Asuka Strikes"

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:29 pm

No, not "Decisive Battle".

I can't imagine it's taken this long for anyone to find it, but I wasn't able to find a mention of this anywhere, sooo... When Unit 02 sorties against Gaghiel, she's apparently not using gain mode and launches with a total of one minute of power. When she manages to plug in the umbilical cable, this is how much time she has left before the timer switches off:

We can assume this is an intentional Goldfinger reference, eh?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:54 pm

Nnnngooooold-FINGAAAAAH!
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:01 pm

Quite appropriate, since Asuka bonds with Shinji in that episode! Asuka, the angel-killing 00 agent of Nerv! :hahaha:

Nice find, NAW. Okaeri nasai!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:12 pm

I just thought it was a time counter for exactly seven minutes... Seems kind of iffy to me.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:51 am

But you see it counting down to zero from five minutes a couple of times before she plugs the plug in. When she sticks it into her back, you see the countdown at eight seconds and some fractional seconds counting down for a few frames before it stops at seven seconds.

I think I remember now why I stayed with this fandom so long: It's practically impossible for me to rewatch Eva without noticing new hidden stuff.

It's also pretty amusing for me to imagine the staff hid the 007 joke in there back in 1995 and someone finally noticed it 20 years later.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:42 am

I find this to be a stretch in one of two ways. It's either a stretch to think that Gainax is referencing 007 in this, or it's a stretch from Gainax themselves for trying to link the two in the first place. This is a neat find, but for these reasons I'm not dying on any hill for it.

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:09 am

I like this theory almost as much as the harpies-are-reindeer theory. Very fun.
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:48 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I find this to be a stretch in one of two ways. It's either a stretch to think that Gainax is referencing 007 in this, or it's a stretch from Gainax themselves for trying to link the two in the first place. This is a neat find, but for these reasons I'm not dying on any hill for it.
What other reason would they have to choose exactly 0:07 seconds for the timer to stop on? If it were arbitrary they'd probably pick a more likely number to stop on (that, is not exactly on the second), so it's most likely a reference to something. If it's not a reference to Goldfinger then it's a reference to something else that was referencing Goldfinger. The Bond movies aren't exactly obscure in Japan so I think it's likely the person who put it in knew what the reference was.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:11 pm

For those of you who don't know, there's another 007 James Bond reference in Evangelion.

Y'know the pounding drum theme that happens every time Shinji and company go into battle? That's a slightly slowed down version of a score used in James Bond's Thunderball.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:30 pm

That's what NAveryW meant by "not Decisive Battle" - "Decisive Battle" is the name of that particular score in Evangelion. The original version was called, if I'm not mistaken, "007" and it may have been used in From Russia With Love before being used in the Thunderball boat chase.

I agree with NAW - why else would anyone choose exactly 0:07 seconds for the timer to stop on when it has a centisecond counter?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:24 pm

I think I'm with FFF4 on this one. It's a pretty cool find, yes-- but I don't think it's something that I'd defend. Speaking for myself, I think that there's probably not much evidence to suggest that it definitively is or isn't a Bond reference.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:31 pm

Okay, finally got off my ass and watched this part of the episode like I should have in the first place. With "0:07:00" being on-screen so briefly, and how the internal timer doesn't even count down properly to arrive there, I suppose I can see why there would be a desire to view as an intentional reference to something. Even so, it feels like a stretch in the way Freaky described.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:33 pm

EVA-02 is piloted by Asuka, Asuka is infatuated with Kaji, Kaji's a spy - it all fits!

Maybe Kyoko was born on the release date of The Man With The Golden Gun ('74), The Spy Who Loved Me ('77) or Moonraker ('79).

Ash1969
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ash1969 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:40 pm

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:EVA-02 is piloted by Asuka, Asuka is infatuated with Kaji, Kaji's a spy - it all fits!

Maybe Kyoko was born on the release date of The Man With The Golden Gun ('74), The Spy Who Loved Me ('77) or Moonraker ('79).

No my name is not a sex joke

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:37 pm

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:EVA-02 is piloted by Asuka, Asuka is infatuated with Kaji, Kaji's a spy - it all fits!

View Original PostAsh1969 wrote:

Okay, this is actually pretty cool.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”