Ever had a change of heart?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:07 pm

I'm the other way... 1 bored me, 2 burned me, but 3 is so crazy that I just don't have a clue what might be coming.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:24 am

Now I just feel bad for enjoying all three
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:01 am

I was happy with 1.0 and rather disappointed with the way 2.0 went although not to the point of outright hatred. 3.0 made me think the series had jumped the shark at first - seriously, 14-year timeskip, flying giant battleship, "Nemesis series", the world utterly devastated, Fourth Impact and all the like without any explanation for what happened in the intervening years or anything we'd seen in the trailer?

However, my opinion of 3.0 has changed altogether and I now think it's the strongest entry in the franchise so far, because it is genuinely new and it deals with something that neither the original series nor EoE dealt with - the consequences of Shinji causing Third Impact or the kind of world that would exist after such an event.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:44 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:No house is complete without both.

That makes me twice-damned, then. Stupid allergies.

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:No idea. ^_^

I never really got the appeal of the Tsundere archetype.

Well, she's not tsundere, so that helps.

As to the topic, I had serious issues with the new movies for awhile, but the hate for them (and for Q in particular) forced me to re-examine my reasoning and I ultimately came to appreciate them for what they are. They don't come close to the original series for me, but as their own thing I'm willing to accept them and whatever Final brings us.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:48 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:No idea. ^_^

I never really got the appeal of the Tsundere archetype.

Hard outside exterior, soft inside interior? It's good for a character to not be a total bitch, it'd make them totally irredeemable if they were.

A sheep in wolf's clothing.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:03 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:They don't come close to the original series for me

The original is such a tough act to follow that it's almost inevitable for rebuild to be considered inferior. But that doesn't mean we can't still enjoy them on their own terms
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:01 pm

I flip flop on my opinion regarding the fanbase in general. Sometimes I think the diehard Eva fanbase is made up of some of the most well opinionated, informed & classy geeks a sci-fi series could ask for.

Other times..... not so much.

Thankfully the Eva fanbase is mostly great in general.

Sadako
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sadako » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:40 pm

Depends whether you consider Soryu and Shikinami the same character or not.

Soryu I would happily stuff into a barrel and roll into the sea. Shikinami, on the other hand… Let’s just say seeing her reappear at the beginning of 3.33, complete with Eyepatch of Awesome, made for a very happy Sadako.

To be honest, my feelings about the show as a whole go along the same lines. I didn’t really like NGE when it first came out. The Rebuild movies, on the other hand, I’m completely smitten by. Especially 3.33.
'Some people are right-wing, some are left-wing. I'm kind of in the fuselage, wondering why we haven't taken off yet.'

Gendo's New Groove
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo's New Groove » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:30 am

While it's not a very positive change of heart, I used to feel really really bad for Asuka, but then when I rewatched NGE and realized how horribly bitchy she was, I ended up sympathizing with Shinji much more. I think the shock of what happened in Episode 22 and End of Eva made me forget about that aspect of Asuka at first.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:10 am

View Original PostBC Baron wrote:Completely the opposite progression for me. When 1.11 and 2.22 first came out I enjoyed them and was actually excited about rebooting the franchise, as well as taking the story in new, interesting directions.

Then I made the terrible mistake of watching 3.33

I now view the entire Rebuild project as total dogshit.

I know that feel

For a long time my feelings towards Rei were that of indifference however the older I got the more I appreciated her.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:22 am

View Original PostBC Baron wrote:Completely the opposite progression for me. When 1.11 and 2.22 first came out I enjoyed them and was actually excited about rebooting the franchise, as well as taking the story in new, interesting directions.

I now view the entire Rebuild project as total dogshit.

I'm sorry 3.33 wasn't the happiness you were looking for.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Mein Gott... I'm not in *THAT* kind of show! BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:04 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:It happened while I was watching the series -- going from wishing the annoying redhead had toasted in the volcano to her being the character I felt for the most while watching episode 16.

Same episode & character, though likely a different scene and epiphany.

Towards the end of the episode, where Asuka is looking on, horrified, by the display EVA-01 made tearing Leliel apart.

That moment made me realize that standard harem rules were not to apply in this series, and that Asuka herself had more on her mind than just the MC.

View Original PostBC Baron wrote:

It's words like this that make me keep putting it off. That and the thought of, if I watch it, I'll have no more new Evangelion to watch. At least until FINAL comes out.

I've put completing Star Trek DS9 on a slow burn for similar reasons. And M*A*S*H, and Detective Conan, and the Harry Potter fil-- na wait, I just grew bored and dropped those last two.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mein Gott... I'm not in *THAT* kind of show! BP

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:09 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Same episode & character, though likely a different scene and epiphany.
Yes; it was the locker room scene after the "You are Number One!", and the thought that they hadn't even left her her particular schtick. Having transitioned from dubs to subs around the middle of the series may also have had something to do with it; on rewatching, Miyamura's early Asuka wasn't anywhere near the turbo-bitch that Grant's came over as.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:25 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:It's words like this that make me keep putting it off.

Do you not find that the startling variety of views on Q (and the way many people change their views on repeat viewing) draws you in to make your own assessment?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:28 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Yes; it was the locker room scene after the "You are Number One!", and the thought that they hadn't even left her her particular schtick. Having transitioned from dubs to subs around the middle of the series may also have had something to do with it; on rewatching, Miyamura's early Asuka wasn't anywhere near the turbo-bitch that Grant's came over as.

Ah, that explains it; I can never understand why people call Asuka bitchy, just as I can never understand why they call Shinji wimpy or annoying, but then again I don't think I've ever watched the show all the way through dubbed. The original, subtitled version is a very different beast.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:56 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Do you not find that the startling variety of views on Q (and the way many people change their views on repeat viewing) draws you in to make your own assessment?

Not really; along with all but abandoning the Rebuild sub-forum these past three years (so I wouldn't have observed what you're talking about) I've been focusing on forgetting the "spoilers" I've been exposed to up till now, so that when I finally do watch 3.0 or 3.33, I'll be at least halfway surprised, rather than idly counting down until something I know is coming up, does.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:05 pm

Fair enough; different strokes and all that.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:32 pm

Pretty much all of 3.0. At first I thought it was confusing and disjointed. But the more i thought about it, the more I realized it was confusing and disjointed for a reason. After all, the whole thing is seen from Shinji's perspective, and he's just spent the past 14 years in a coma, so the events of the movie make just as little sense to him as they do to us, the viewers.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:48 pm

After reevaluating the meaning and virtues of masculinity, my respect for Gendo has increased.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:53 pm

I found Rei inhuman and disturbing on my initial viewing and now find her enormously sympathetic. I actually prefer the Rebuild version, she feels deeper and sadder.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”