How seriously do you take shipping?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:07 pm

View Original PostSawItAtAge10 wrote:However, I'd say the pre-3I kitchen scene and the hospital scene are fairly indicative of them not really ever being able to have a healthy/normal relationship, but that's just my opinion.

After all that happened, i honestly don't think ANYONE in this cast is capable of a healthy/normal relationship. Best make good with what you have and overcome the problems in whatever way you can
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:15 pm

well, that's probably true too...There was hope for MisatoXKaji, but the whole kissing Shinji thing killed that...Rei is, basically gone, Yui is gone, Ritsuko is betrayed and alone, Kaworu is either dead for real or gone with Rei (heh, maybe they're the "one true ship", lol) Gendo is "destroyed" by his love/guilt. Aoba never wanted anyone. Maya, Fuyu, and Hyuga have unrequited loves never to be fulfilled in reality.

Maybe TojixHikari (although that's a bit inconsequential given the rest of the characters)

Yeah, basically everyone and their relationship dynamics are totally screwed :lol:

Did Kensuke (not counting the manga) like/have affection for anyone? Maybe he was tanged by an incarnation of an Eva cockpit lmao
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:52 pm

Dude, I see Kensuke and Mari as a pairing. It's perfect.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:57 pm

Amen (offers high five)
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:13 pm

Put it there!

:eva01atf:

Seriously: just put Mari and Kensuke in the same room. Sparks will fly!
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:08 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Put it there!

:eva01atf:

Seriously: just put Mari and Kensuke in the same room. Sparks will fly!

... when Kensuke casts magic missile "at the darkness" :fuyu_facepalm:
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:18 pm

Dude, Mari is a total closet D and D'er.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:22 pm

I don't think Mari would find Kensuke that interesting of a person. I can only really picture her taking interest in Shinji, which is odd because I prefer Asuka/Shinji yet I can also see Asuka with Toji.

Now, Kensuke and Sakura is a couple I'd find somewhat realistic, despite the six or so year difference.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:34 pm

Mari only makes sense with Asuka, IMHO. She can flirt with the other characters but ultimately Asuka is the one for her.

:marihearts: :asuka_thumbsup:

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:53 pm

Kensuke/Mari? No.

Kensuke/Mana? Yes.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

SEELE
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:57 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Kensuke/Mari? No.

Kensuke/Mana? Yes.

You are implying that Mari isn't the realization of Mana and Mayumi. :rimshot:

View Original PostSachi wrote:I don't think Mari would find Kensuke that interesting of a person. I can only really picture her taking interest in Shinji, which is odd because I prefer Asuka/Shinji yet I can also see Asuka with Toji. Now, Kensuke and Sakura is a couple I'd find somewhat realistic, despite the six or so year difference.

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Mari only makes sense with Asuka, IMHO. She can flirt with the other characters but ultimately Asuka is the one for her.

:marihearts: :asuka_thumbsup:

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Dude, I see Kensuke and Mari as a pairing. It's perfect.

Well, Mari is corky in every way. And Kensuke is always obsessed with something. I also think this is not a crack-pair but i'll go with Gob on this one. They seem to fit each other just like Shikinami/Soryu and Shinji fit together. And to say she (Mari) wouldn't find Kensuke interesting after he bathed in Shinji's LCL - well. -o-;
I think i have a new pair. Team Glasses :kensukecam: :marihearts:

I know who did this ... :gendoscheme:
"Shinji repeatedly rises to the occasion, overcomes his own doubts and fears and puts others ahead of himself to the point of self harm. The situation overwhelms him. Victory does not define a hero. Intent does. He breaks at the end, but after inhuman, overwhelming, borderline comedic suffering." - Chuckman talking about Shinji as a hero
Final Fantasy 7 gets a remake. I hope it doesn't goes the same way NTE did.
Plus I kinda want to be done with this franchise for a while and concentrate on other things in life. - Guy Nacks

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:12 pm

TEAM GLASSES! I love it!

:asuka_thumbsup:
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:47 pm

View Original PostSEELE wrote:You are implying that Mari isn't the realization of Mana and Mayumi.

If you rearrange the letters in Mana's name, you're one 'm' short of being able to spell "Mari Makinami." There's also an 'sh' left over, because shh, it's a secret! :gendoscheme:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:06 pm

View Original PostSawItAtAge10 wrote:makes sense (given the theme of the show and all) but i still think they're highly incompatible, but that's the point, beings who are incompatible but still able to form a bond/connection (even if it isn't necessarily "romantic" in nature).

Just curious, why do you think they're incompatible?
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:19 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:If you rearrange the letters in Mana's name, you're one 'm' short of being able to spell "Mari Makinami."

This would be the better way to compare them:

[s]KI[/s]-[s]RI[/s]-SHI-[s]MA[/s] |[s] MA[/s]-[s]NA[/s]

[s]MA[/s]-[s]KI[/s]-[s]NA[/s]-MI | [s]MA[/s]-[s]RI[/s]

Six syllables per name, and they share 5 of those. :ninja:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:17 pm

The leftover syllables spell "shimi." Google tells me that means "Bookworm." And what is associated with bookworms?

Glasses.
SPOILER: Show

My god.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:42 pm

I am in awe of the X-Files turn this thread has taken. Pete Carroll would be proud.
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

SEELE
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:56 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:The leftover syllables spell "shimi." Google tells me that means "Bookworm." And what is associated with bookworms?
Glasses.
My god.

ImageImage

Mayumi is potrayed as bookworm and somebody who loves books. Wouldn't suprise me if Anno knew this all along.
Everything make sense now. I remember one of the GoS endings was shipping Asuka and Shinji, pretty hard. Could it be possible that Mana/Mari is also shipping the Impact Boy and Otohime-sama?
I guess everybody finds love in the end.
Especially Kensuke and Mari.
View Original PostNemZ wrote:Kensuke/Mana? Yes.

What still bothers me is 'Why exactly?'
View Original PostReichu wrote:Six syllables per name, and they share 5 of those. :ninja:

Skully is that you? :bigeyes:
View Original PostSachi wrote:[...]I can only really picture her taking interest in Shinji, which is odd because I prefer Asuka/Shinji yet I can also see Asuka with Toji.[...]

Lets have a quick rundown on the "serious" shipping:
Shinji and Asuka :shinjired: :asukahearts: (because of Sequel "theory" and "until you come to me")

Toji and Hikari :hikari_happy: :toji_sulk: (because i like them)

Misato and Kaji :kamirabu:

Kensuke and Mana/Mari :kensukecam: :marihearts: (but Mana just because of NemZ suggestions and TEAM GLASSES)

Rei and Keita/Kaworu :rei_blush: (because Keita reminds me of Shinji just like Mayumi and the Fusion of Lilith and Adam)

Pen-Pen and Unit-01/AAA-Wunder :penpenatf:

How about Hyuga and Ibuki? :hyuga_hmm: :mayano:

Everything is shipped according to the Rom-Com-Scrolls :gendoscheme:
The Human-Couple-Instrumentality is the catharsis for this massive ship.
"Shinji repeatedly rises to the occasion, overcomes his own doubts and fears and puts others ahead of himself to the point of self harm. The situation overwhelms him. Victory does not define a hero. Intent does. He breaks at the end, but after inhuman, overwhelming, borderline comedic suffering." - Chuckman talking about Shinji as a hero
Final Fantasy 7 gets a remake. I hope it doesn't goes the same way NTE did.
Plus I kinda want to be done with this franchise for a while and concentrate on other things in life. - Guy Nacks

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:06 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Six syllables per name, and they share 5 of those. :ninja:

My reaction to that is "close, but no cigar".
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:12 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:My reaction to that is "close, but no cigar".

Still, pretty good for what's probably a coincidence.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”