Entertainment Value of Evangelion

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

Entertainment Value of Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:02 pm

What is it you find entertaining about Evangelion? Not intellectually interesting, but entertaining.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:54 pm

Meh, entertainment value for NGE isn't very high, Rebuild on the other hand is chock full of entertainment.

I mean unless you are entertained by angst and dysfunction, then NGE is right up your alley.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:59 pm

The action arc was pretty entertaining, Dance Like You Want To Win especially.
Leave Shinji alone

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:06 am

The spectacle of seeing giant robot battles being done in a pseudo realistic way for one. The rest is the empathy we have with the characters, the slice of life comedy aspects.

The thing is though Eva is meant to engage and inform its audience as much as it entertains, it baits you in with promises of a fun lighthearted Giant Robot anime. Then shows it's true colors as a grand tragedy about the pros, cons and inherent importance of human communication.

Of course then we have to ask ourselves, what makes a work of fiction entertaining to begin with?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:06 am

I find that intellectual interest and entertainment are very closely linked as far as I'm concerned. What did I find entertaining? Pretty much all of it. That's why I'm here on the forums, you know. :tongue:

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:35 pm

I think Evangelion can still be considered entertainment. Sure, it has a lot of deep intellectual themes, but it's still fundamentally a TV series meant to provide entertainment.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:43 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:I think Evangelion can still be considered entertainment. Sure, it has a lot of deep intellectual themes, but it's still fundamentally a TV series meant to provide entertainment.

Yeah, this. Sure, Anno wanted to make something groundbreakingly different, but he still understood that the show is supposed to be entertaining so that people keep tuning in.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:19 pm

Entertainment is from the word “entertain”.

Google wrote:en·ter·tain

ˌen(t)ərˈtān/

verb

1. provide (someone) with amusement or enjoyment.
"a tremendous game that thoroughly entertained the crowd"
synonyms: amuse, divert, delight, please, charm, cheer, interest; More
antonyms: bore
receive (someone) as a guest and provide them with food and drink.
"a private dining room where members could entertain groups of friends"
synonyms: receive, host, play host/hostess to, invite (around/round/over), throw a party for;

2. give attention or consideration to (an idea, suggestion, or feeling).
"Washington entertained little hope of an early improvement in relations"
synonyms: consider, give consideration to, contemplate, think about, give thought to;

I would say Evangelion does all of these very well, with the Action Arc there to provide amusement and enjoyment, and the latter half there to give attention or consideration to various ideas, suggestions, and feelings. In the Next Preview at the end of Episode 17 the voice-over even invites the viewers to “bring their friends,” which would mean that Evangelion is defined in that Next Preview to be able to entertain a group of friends. Evangelion somehow ends up being the very all-encompassing definition of “entertainment”.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:27 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:In the Next Preview at the end of Episode 17 the voice-over even invites the viewers to “bring their friends,” which would mean that Evangelion is defined in that Next Preview to be able to entertain a group of friends.

Given what happens in ep. 18, this is hilarious.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:10 am

Let's see... A genetically engineered little girl trolling a female scientist, a teenage boy using his giant momborg to fight a giant living laser-tentacle dildo, an alchoholic major with a pet penguin trying to be a mother to a couple of teens who don't get along, Rei Ayanami, giant cyborgs fighting bizzarre-looking angels, and... just about everything else, too. :lol:
[Redacted]

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:13 am

My answer is yes, except for episode 7 and maybe episode 13. The angel in episode 11 is pretty lame too
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:48 pm

Wouldn't be a very good show if it wasn't, Evangelion IS entertainment.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:11 pm

I guess I'm in the minority. I find the action arc rather boring. The show doesn't really get good for me until the end.

mechashiva
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby mechashiva » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:27 pm

View Original PostSgt. Griff wrote:The action arc was pretty entertaining, Dance Like You Want To Win especially.

This. It happens to be my favorite episode. Shinji and Asuka clashing and learning to work together to beat Israfel through the power of dance. ^_^

[s]Noooo, I don't ship Shinji/Asuka. Of course not! *shifty eyes*[/s]

I think for me, the show benefits from the rewatch. I kind of knew vaguely what I getting into the first time around but what I enjoyed, in a storytelling/worldbuilding way, is how the early episodes foreshadow at least vaguely "Things are not right here". One example that jumps out at me is dialogue from this news radio or tv talking about how since the Second Impact, the world is in a perpetual summer. Its meant to be background noise but if you're paying attention to it, it makes the world so much richer, in a way.
"Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up."-Pablo Picasso

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:22 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:Rebuild on the other hand is chock full of entertainment.

True, NTE manages to feel entertaining (Even 3.0 is entertaining, even though it's depressing asf and the atmosphere is one of the darkest/bleakest I've ever witnessed) and deep at the same time, which is pretty rare to see in films/anime.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:18 am

^ and thats why i love NTE
uh.........NTE or NGE? if NTE: the fights dear god are they awesome.
if NGE:.....................i'll get back to you on that
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:16 pm

At first i didn't expect a mind fuck experience from Eva, so pretty much i watch it at first for entertainment value. I was not disappointed, the battles were beautifully animated, the Evas were cool looking and the characters all felt realistic and believable so that made it that much better to watch. The angels were all defeated in different manners, so that kept the fights from getting boring. The entertainment value of eva lies in the first 19 episodes, not to say 20-24 weren't entertaining, but they were more psychological experiences meant to mess with viewers head than to entertain them.
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:02 pm

Seeing Rei naked was pretty entertaining.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

strawhatpatriot
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby strawhatpatriot » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:46 am

The way the series focused on the psychological crap during the last 9 episodes.

IT was entertaining seeing how depressive the episodes were. I will never forget hearing "Rei I" and "Thanatos" being used a lot at that time.
Congratulations!

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:39 pm

The things I found entertaining about the original series were the epic fights, especially the action arc (the fight in episode 19 being the most brutal Angel (physical) attack imo). I also like the characters' "off days" when they were just sitting around having conversations or were at school etc. These held some pretty humorous and humanizing moments that were fun to watch.
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”