Is there a deeper reason we pick our ships?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:30 pm

Man cannot love a god.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:59 pm

I don't really "ship" as hardcore as I used to, but pairings I like: Misato/Kaji, Toji/Hikari, Yui/Gendo, Ritsuko/Gendo (= say a slight AU where nobody's insane or Yui gives her blessing so to speak post-Eva-01--I'm sure she'd rather see Gendo happy than nuts) and Shinji/Asuka are as far as I can tell, supported by the show. I'm sure some would argue Toji/Hikari and Shinji/Asuka aren't depending on how you look at things, but eh, I still think they're cute couples either way.

Though, I also like Kaworu/Rei -o-; Webuild-wise, I think Mari/Kensuke (or NGE game canons, Mayumi/Kensuke and Mana/Musashi) would be adorable.

There's no deeper reason for me other than being a sucker for happy endings and I love me some cute shit. :heart:

...I just had a hilarious mental image of Ritsuko as Shinji's new stepmom. She'd probably start ordering him around to light her cigarettes or bring on the beers ala slave driver Misato. :tongue:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:23 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Man cannot love a god.

Well except for all the Manga, Anime, Myths, and bumper stickers about the subject.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:01 am

Confuse a wish fulfillment magic pixie waifu with a god at your peril.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:27 am

^Well, in certain myths men did fall in love with gods. The myth of Ganymede is probably one of the few examples where this actually turned out well for the mortal in question.

Back on topic, I only ship Shinji and Asuka because they're the last ones standing (or lying on a beach, whatever) when the series is over.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Mr. Jive
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Jive » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:58 pm

I see nothing deep about anyone shipping. People just pair characters up just cause they think the paring look good or for a sake of lame romance story. If you understood these character like you think you do then you would see that most of them don't belong in a relationship due to them not having any love in their heart none more then the lead character himself. The only characters who have any love in their hearts is kensuke, toji, hikari and probably Rei. The only reason why people put Shinji whit a girl is to hide the fact he is LGBT. Then you have websites that also make it look like something romantic is going on between him and the girls. This is not a romantic anime, Rei and Asuka are not love interest and Shinji is not the center of their universal. These girls are more complex and stronger then his sorry ass ever would be. The woman who voice Shinji in Japan was ask which one he likes and she say he DON'T really like either girls. Keep in mind she ben voicing this loser sense 1995 so if anyone knows how this guy think then it the woman who is the voice of Shinji. Seeing how badly he treated these girls toward the end prove this. But she never said anything about him not liking kaworu.

Asuka VA said the girl has a wall around her heart that she wont let anyone in. The fact she don't want to have kids prove this. Years later she would also say Asuka is like a mercenary who is a leader of her own army. Does that sound like a girl who looking for love? Even if she does change her mind, she would want to be whit someone who understand and accept her. That not Shinji cause he a prima donna that think girls should be like a Disney princess. Kensuke would be a better fit for her seeing how he has a better understanding of people around him and would accept her for who she is including her flaws. In the manga he said she was strong and cute, no guy in eva has ever say that about Asuka. Some video game seem to hint there something going on between those two that has yet to be seen....for now. However, most Asuka fans prefer she be whit mari due to them having a working relationship in rebuild. Asuak fans hate the idea of her and Shinji as a pair due to how unstable and abusive their relationship was. Can't say I blame them. Nobody want to see their favorite character whit a misogyny brick that don't respect or understands her. Shinji just not a safe for anyone, the kid is more dangerous then his own father. He is a loser and a monster in a plugsuit.
Kensuke not a saint but at least he's not a psycho jerking off to a girl in a comma.

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:07 pm

You must make Anno proud of his legacy... :shifty:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:20 pm

View Original PostMr. Jive wrote:I see nothing deep about anyone shipping. People just pair characters up just cause they
put their favourite girl with the self-insert character.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:50 pm

I can at least agree that NGE isn't supposed to be about romance.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:57 pm

View Original PostMr. Jive wrote:I see nothing deep about anyone shipping.... The only reason why people put Shinji whit a girl is to hide the fact he is LGBT. Then you have websites that also make it look like something romantic is going on between him and the girls. This is not a romantic anime, Rei and Asuka are not love interest and Shinji is not the center of their universal.

Evangelion should have "Romance" as one of it's genre tags now that I think about. Romance is a pretty big deal in the show. The only reason we know how messed up the characters Kawuro, Misato, Rei, and Asuka and etc is because we ship. Like for example you say Asuka is at a point in her life where she is incapable of loving anyone. Well we only know that because when she was shipped with a character she liked (Shinji) she totally failed. We know how deep Misato's electra complex goes because of the inappropiate romance between her and Shinji. We know how desperate Shinji is because of Kawuro. Kawuro just gave Shinji what "he wanted" and became his BFF in less than 24 hours. Shinji didn't care if he got it from a guy or girl because he was desperate. My point is the romance in evangelion has purpose, I mean you only know Shinji might be gay/Bi/curious is because the show lets you ship him with Kawuro. And I would say the show is about romance. I mean if it's about connecting with people/understanding then romance is the peak of "connecting with others". Also AuskaXShinji is the truth lol even if he is bi.

To OP: I'm not aware of any subconscious reason of why I ship lol. I'm a weirdo who enjoys rom-cons...so yeah lol.
But I do know I have I can have mental blocks when it comes to certain shipping sometimes. For example when I first started watching Eva I had a hard time accepting that Misato was into Shinji even when looking over the evidence because the idea of an adult like Misato and a kid just was bizare to me when I was Kid and plus not something I was used to in my fiction.

In "the last of us" video game and in the Korra:TLA I had a similar issue. I didn't notice the LGBT shipping because I just was not used to seeing LGBT shipping so I wasn't expecting it. So it was like "duh" after the fact but I was just was not seeing it in the moment.
Last edited by zlink64 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:00 pm

Wow i forgot this existed, i also forgot how embarrassingly open i was there, but i still stand by what i said in that post.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”