Eva gun weaponries>conventional weaponry......?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

consrv4us
Embryo

Eva gun weaponries>conventional weaponry......?

•      
  •      

Postby consrv4us » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:46 pm

I've always wondered what exactly what kind of rounds were the evas

using in their machine guns. Especially when it came to episode 14

against Matatiel. Couldn't conventional explosive could have done the job

there?

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:40 pm

I believe Gendou explains this in the first episode.
"Conventional weapons are useless against the angels." or something like that.
but an AT field is a very powerful shield that the Angels employ, if a n2 mine generally can't do much damage, what will in the humanities arsenal of conventional weapons.
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:31 pm

Conventional weapons ALONE are useless against the Angels. Any weapon powerful enough to penetrate an Angel's AT Field would deal more collateral damage than desired. The Eva's greatest weapon is the AT Field. With its own AT Field, it can neutralize the Angel's field and then destroy the Angel with conventional means. Matarael was destroyed by a pallette gun, but it's still just a big machine gun, there's nothing particularly special about it. Unit 02 neutralized Matarael's AT Field, making it susceptible to pallette fire. It very well could have been destroyed by an N2 Mine or heavy arms fire, but the Evas were deployed specifically to deal with it.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:01 am

Judging by what happened to Matariel, I'd say that the pallet rifle / huge ACR fires caseless armor piercing rounds of heavy non-expanding design. Given that the weapons have both iron sights and computerized targeting, the tracers are largely superfluous.

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:16 am

Then how about Zeruel? Both Eva 02 and Eva 00 tried to neutralise his AT Field but were still defeated. Does it imply that his AT Field is exceptionally strong?

PS I wonder if the Eva's assault rifle can switch between smei-auto and full-auto mode.
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

Six Winged Angel
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Six Winged Angel » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:19 am

maybe when the EVA unit fires a gun, it transfers part of it's AT-field power to it and it's rounds.
and here's something similar to what I say from DnD:
"any weapon weilded by a Half-Celestial is treated as good aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction"

I assume that Eva-02 didn't have such strong AT-field as Zeruel's to neutralise it's AT-field with ranged weapons
~But someday you will come to understand that on your back, there are wings with which you can fly on the distant future.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:39 am

tinmeigut wrote:Then how about Zeruel? Both Eva 02 and Eva 00 tried to neutralise his AT Field but were still defeated. Does it imply that his AT Field is exceptionally strong?

He is the Angel of Might, isn't he?

PS I wonder if the Eva's assault rifle can switch between smei-auto and full-auto mode.

Given the lousy aim and lack of effect per individual round, I doubt it. The giant AWM and Desert Eagle would be more useful in that department.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:26 am

Both Eva 02 and Eva 00 tried to neutralise his AT Field but were still defeated. Does it imply that his AT Field is exceptionally strong?

Not just his at field, Rei managed to get the n2 mine through it, but his body was so tough even without the at field it barely scratched him.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:50 pm

tinmeigut wrote:Then how about Zeruel? Both Eva 02 and Eva 00 tried to neutralise his AT Field but were still defeated. Does it imply that his AT Field is exceptionally strong?

Strong perhaps, but Rei did indeed neutralize its AT Field, but it protected its core from the N2 Blast. Asuka was pretty dumb when it comes to AT Fields, and she did ask herself "I am neutralizing its AT Field, aren't I?", or something to that effect. For some reason, she wasn't able to or wasn't capable of doing it.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:18 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:

Strong perhaps, but Rei did indeed neutralize its AT Field, but it protected its core from the N2 Blast. Asuka was pretty dumb when it comes to AT Fields, and she did ask herself "I am neutralizing its AT Field, aren't I?", or something to that effect. For some reason, she wasn't able to or wasn't capable of doing it.

Possibly because of her low sync rate to Nigouki.

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Titus » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:45 pm

Ive seen a thread like this somewhere before....I know...

I posted this...

This is my rifle....

blah blah blah..

8)

I love big bullets. Go Asuka....
"I say Evamonkey did it himself. After seeing that Titus had more Eva images than him, he was driven into a fit of jealousy that led him to set this up in the hope of infecting everyone with a trojan that automatically rooted through their harddrives and sending him any images he didnt already have." - Space Penis
"some of the most intelligent people I know are complete fuck ups, and some of the less intelligent ones are incredibly interesting and promising." - The Eva Monkey
"Titus I love you!" - Zugzwang
"TITUS + ADSL = Disaster" - Timesplitter 01

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:32 am

Given the lousy aim and lack of effect per individual round, I doubt it.

Well sometimes accuracy is more important than power. But in the case of the fighting a monster that couldn't be killed by shooting in his head it doesn't really matter does it.
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:43 pm

What I've though was kinda screwy was N^2 weapons.

I mean, one goes off in #1 and doesn't do a whole lot of damage to Sachiel. Even though at least some of the blast got through his AT field, it didn't do a whole lot apart from muck up his face and make him sweat a lot. Great.

And then it says that Ramiel's AT field, which is apparently extremely strong can be pierced by an 800GW beam that fires for less than a second. Let's just assume, for a moment, that it delivered a full 800GJ. That's only 0.19KT. This must be more powerful than any easily acquired N^2 bomb, since they didn't just lob one at the Angel.

Can anyone see the problem here? N^2 weapons, which AFAIK were replacements for normal nukes, are at the very most two orders of magnitude less powerful than the first fission bomb used in the 1940s!
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

felineki
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby felineki » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:47 am

The difference is that the Postiron Rifle's beam was concentrating ALL of that power on one point, being a beam and all. An explosion, like that of an N2 bomb, radiates its energy outward in all directions, so it's not going to be as effective.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”