Introducing Others to Evangelion

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:18 pm

ZapX wrote:Have them watch up to "Why don't you try smiling" and see from there. That's where most people that I watch with get hooked.

That's pretty much what confirmed me that I need to watch it all when I first watched it

so i'll have my birth daddy at least see the first six episodes when the time comes
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:23 pm

ZapX wrote:Just have them watch up to Episode 6.

There. Now you have to do it or you'll get in trouble. They sound like they're open to it anyway. Have them watch up to "Why don't you try smiling" and see from there. That's where most people that I watch with get hooked.

Indeed. And, while personally I probably wouldn't show them Eva, if you do show them, show them the TV series, not Rebuild. (At the very least because it's finished and we already know it has a thought-provoking final arc and ending. ;) Less in the way of awkward, impossible-to-ignore fanservice that serves no story purpose, too. )
Last edited by esselfortium on Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:27 pm

Mad wrote:@Septim: Your avatar and post are sending me mixed messages.

Is this better?

AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

Grimmjow
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grimmjow » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:20 pm

I'm not really sure if I should introduce them to Eva. The fanservice and goofiness in the first part of Eva would be a big turn off to them. Might try to get them to watch Eva 1.01 one day.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:12 pm

I remember my mom was tired, so she sat down on the couch as I was starting the director's cut of episode 23. She was utterly confused by the time Rei had already blown up and show up again claiming to "be the third one".

Of course, I was kinda cruel like that anyway. I timed it so that way that was the last thing she saw before having to go do something else just as Rei showed up again, so that's all she's seen of it. But I helped her out with the chore that interrupted the show, so I was completely heartless.

She still talks about that scene every so often.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:55 pm

Why would want my mom or dad want to watch the series anyways? They would think it's the biggest piece of crap ever.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: Introducing to Parents

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:05 pm

supershinjiasukashipper wrote: if they refuse to sit down, show them this post.

For the love of Gendo do NOT show them ANY post from this forum if trying to convince them to watch show.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:27 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Due to my age (50's) I think it depends on the individual in question.

Tines, you're a bit of an aberration.

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:This is inherently a bad idea. You could end up getting yourself either/or
1) Ridiculed.
2) Signed in.
3) Disowned.

THIS.

On one hand, I'm somewhat perturbed my parents never really bothered to watch "this thing our son is spending so much time with", but on the other hand, I'm relieved because Eva is kind of messed up in a lot of little ways that are quite outside American norms.

Don't show your parents Eva, especially if you're a minor.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:31 pm

I think you guys just have really uncool parents.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

JiForce
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JiForce » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:33 pm

My parents cannot tolerate anything that is controversial/politically incorrect. They already banned me from Evangelion. heheh

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:36 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Tines, you're a bit of an aberration.
That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me all day!
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:49 pm

I showed Evangelion to my dad and mom some years ago. They wanted to watch it dubbed though cause they couldn't standing reading all of the text on screen. They didn't give too much of an opinion of it other than it was pretty good. And they didn't say much about the End of Evangelion. Never got back to them on that.

Mad
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mad » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:17 pm

Well I'm back.

I decided to show them 1.01 instead of the series due to less goofy fanservice. It went a lot better than expected. My dad's reaction was pretty much a huge "FUCK YEAH" and my mom didn't say much but she liked the "Try smiling" part as many of you have said.

Bonus points: My dad really loved the way it gave the 5.1 surround sound a workout.
Lolfreudian

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:23 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
The Eva Monkey wrote:Tines, you're a bit of an aberration.

That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me all day!

We love you, you old fart.

Pop quiz. If you had a teenage kid, let's say he's 15. What would you think of him watching Evangelion, including The End of Evangelion?

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:30 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
Pop quiz. If you had a teenage kid, let's say he's 15. What would you think of him watching Evangelion, including The End of Evangelion?

I watched when I was 14, he should be okay.
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:38 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Pop quiz. If you had a teenage kid, let's say he's 15. What would you think of him watching Evangelion, including The End of Evangelion?
I don't really see a problem with 15. Probably won't understand a whole lot of EoE, but there's no real problem with watching it at that age. Not like 12-years-old. Or 8.

Though TBH, I'd let my hypothetical kid watch Akira before NGE. Akira's got its doses of WTFAMIWATCHING moments, but NGE/EoE has those moments coupled with soul-crushingly devastating implications. I guess it's mostly up to viewer digression, but I think 15 is fine. Not ideal, but fine. He/She is likely to revisit it at an older age if exposed to it at 15, but it’s also old enough that it won’t (shouldn’t… well… it might I dunno) keep them up at night.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:51 pm

when I saw NGE for the first time years ago I was 15

so yeah

I'm not sure why eva should be shown to parents at all tho... :chinscratch:

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:51 pm

[redacted]
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:21 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Pop quiz. If you had a teenage kid, let's say he's 15. What would you think of him watching Evangelion, including The End of Evangelion?
General principle in these things : There are things -- especially as related to sex -- for which Parental Guidance applies (the guidance being that your parents don't need to know). So I would try not to let him know that I knew, if he didn't want me to know.

The nearest to testing this out IRL is with the older child of friends of ours, who we met many years ago on the D&D/SF con circuit. They borrow anime from us to watch anyway, so when their daughter was ~15, I offered two classics that she might like to watch (NGE and Utena). The parents were happy about that -- though as it turned out she didn't watch much of NGE, instead devouring Utena (as one might expect).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:24 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:General principle in these things : There are things -- especially as related to sex -- for which Parental Guidance applies (the guidance being that your parents don't need to know). So I would try not to let him know that I knew, if he didn't want me to know.

So, you'd be covert, but let him be a kid that needs to explore?

I don't quite understand.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”