Has Anyone Ever Used Evangelion In School?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

TheMessiah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TheMessiah » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:53 pm

cain luppus wrote:My opinion is you shouldn't use Eva as a topic in school for presentations, essays and reports if they person(s) are very unfamilar or have no idea what your talking about. Now if you know the group or person has had experience with Eva or is interested in anime and has heard of Eva, then it would be appropiate. I don't about you guys but I would NEVER use Eva in a academic/school presentation or paper, fearing of being failed and the estranged looks from my peers and others.

actually, i disagree, if one was able to explain it to a point the reader would be able to understand i think it would be appropriate.

<---taking psyche this coming school year
monstrum in fronte, monstrum in animo

houtaru
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby houtaru » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:08 pm

Hunter21 wrote:Unfortunatly Shinseki your going to run into the same problems in college, while there are some open minded students/professors, most of them are just going to look at you strangely. Best way around this is if you are going to use EVA as a topic for a project find out what the prof thinks first, if they respect the idea go for it. You can easily ignore the other students in class as profs tend to care more about what you are doing as opposed to class reaction, and as an added bonus some profs will reward you for going outside the norm.

Hunter21 is right, Shinseki. Some of the professors will even get offended when exploring hot topics such as religion (although I never took any religious courses, my teachers are mostly conservative). But if you have the respect of the professor, the students will be intrigued, even if they dont agree. Much more than in high school anyway.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:52 pm

If I had to do a presentation, I wouldn't choose Eva as a topic unless it was very applicable, for instance, a presentation on a piece of cinema you find to be a trend setter, or a piece of fiction that incorporates religious themes. It would have to be something other than "pick a topic" for me to do a presentation in front of my peers. I wouldn't want to instigate harassment. If it were an essay, I wouldn't be so hesitant, I've seen quite a few people write Eva-ish essays for literature or writing courses, some of which are at the college level. And in fact you'll find a few in the site's written statements section, such as the essays by Charles Duan, Genevieve Petty, and Dedguy.

But its true, some teachers look down on the "anime thing". We would all be so fortunate as to have Vulkurt as an english prof.

Xanatose
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Xanatose » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:51 am

I've never had any such experience. I'm not one to drag my personal hobbies into the public sphere. All the same, I am formulary with one story I'd heard on another Eva forum. A film student was to make a standing presentation on cinematography techniques before his class, and decided to use the infamous EoE instrumentality scenes in his report. He set up the movie for viewing on a film projector (which he took note of as an especially interesting way to view the movie, so I'll pass on the advice-- go see EoE on a projector someday :wink: )

The scenes he displayed followed after young Shinji's symbolic destruction of a sand pyramid. So I take it that he showed the quick cuts of the Asuka/Shinji positional/sex(?) scene; the shots of Asuka and Shinji saying "momma," Misato and Kaji's sex scene (during which he said there was a lot of snickering :roll: but that would soon end...); Asuka's offer to kiss Shinji; the mindwarping train ride of the soul; the final descent into madness as Shinji's projection of Asuka rejected him in the kitchen; and ended with Shinji snapping and strangling her just before "Kom Susser Todd" began to play. Needless to say, by that time they had all stopped snickering. In fact, he described an awkward moment of silence following that. Of course, he just continued on with the presentation.

He didn't describe anyone as having become interested in the series, but I wouldn't be surprised if somebody had decided to follow up on it.

Esion
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Esion » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:38 pm

Oh...I don't know why I didn't think of it. In art classes I'd always paint/draw evangelion characters. For some reason I never connected art class with school because it was actually enjoyable.
Yea and God said to Abraham, "You will kill your son Issac." And Abraham said, "I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:42 pm

The only time I have incorporated Eva into my work was in my MIDI class. I did a cover of "Borderline Case" which actually got a standing-o. Unforunately, we had to ue Macs, which I don't use, so I don't have the file on hand. Here's a hint: imagine if Korn played it... with a koto... and a full-on choir. Yeah, that was a good day. 8)

Oh, and there was this one time when I wore my NERV shirt to Psychology class, and my professor commented in front of the class that she was a big fan of the series, which prompted a brief description from both of us on the subject. That felt... weird, but hopefully some students decided to check it out.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Vulkurt
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Vulkurt » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:45 am

What I do for my ENG 122 class is to let students pick whatever they want to analyze for their papers (not just short story, poetry, and drama, but song lyrics, movies, television shows, novels, manga, etc.). Given that most popular culture can be broken down by formalist analysis, and can include many other types of literary critical perspectives (biographical, cultural, historical, psychological, etc.), then it really does not matter what students use, as long as they can demonstrate competent analysis. Last semester, I had an interesting paper for the thematic unit on "Learning and Education" with a discussion of the various student/teacher relationships in Naruto. I only wish I had more students that were anime fans.

Someone made a point that it depends on the professor/teacher. That is true. The guidelines they set down for their classes [should] directly correlate to the objectives of the course. But, if you are dealing with a course that allows you to chose the topic, and you can use anime in the context of the assignment, then there's no stopping you. What is even better is that if you have a good professor, they will work on revision strategies with you if, say, you would like to get your essay published somewhere.
Done. Guarding.

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Farenheight 451?

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:53 pm

It does depend on the teacher/professor but I'm going through my first year of college, and I am shocked at just how narrow minded everything seems to be!

I was hoping for some kind of release after High school, and now I'm in college, and everyone seems even dumber! (I know that's a blanket statement but it pisses me off!)

I never tried a Evangelion project in High school (I already knew it would be futile) but I'm itching for a chance to turn a college asignment on it's ear with a touch of that Anno goodness! 8)

One thing you have to keep in mind is that 85% of the people in college don't want to be there, and don't give a damn what's being said.
The college higher ups are used to this so things have become more rigid.
At least that's what it feels like.

Anybody else have the same problems (or better yet DON'T have the same problems?)

By the way Shinseki, I have to hand it to you for stretching, and damn! cain luppus, is there anything more frustraing then trying to explain something near and dear to you, when everybody around you just plain doesn't give a $#**?

A little off subject but I've never understood why so many christians, catholics, baptists, religous groups etc. etc.
Have such a problem with Eva. Any Ideas?
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Farenheight 451?

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:11 am

Olin of Xephon wrote:A little off subject but I've never understood why so many christians, catholics, baptists, religous groups etc. etc.

Because they see a little bit of it and see all the crosses and other religious stuff and don't bother to watch the rest of the series.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:42 am

Don't worry too much Olin of Xephon, it tends to get better the further along you go. Usually you get to know the teachers/professors better and you can get a little more leway in topic selection.

A little off subject but I've never understood why so many christians, catholics, baptists, religous groups etc. etc.

These tend to be the same people who will complain about anything that might seem to be outside of their norm, so it is just another thing for them to yell, and be unaccepting about (which by the way is not a very christian attitude). I myself am Catholic and the only problems I have with the series is some of the plot holes.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

ShoKenju
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: Farenheight 451?

•      
  •      

Postby ShoKenju » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 am

Olin of Xephon wrote:A little off subject but I've never understood why so many christians, catholics, baptists, religous groups etc. etc.

cuz theyve tried for a long time to keep stuff like Lilith out of christians minds

thinking = thought
thought = chance of becoming an individual
individual = singualar thought
singulaur thought = no longer Christian
a man within the trap of one sided love is a man torn beyond his imagination.
-----------
Reason = Virtue = Happiness

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:58 pm

Remember a lot of these religous groups that have problems with Eva also have problems with Harry Potter. Something like Eva is like blasphemy to them and is like a deadly cult or something.

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:19 pm

Hunter21 wrote: I myself am Catholic and the only problems I have with the series is some of the plot holes.

I'm Catholic too. I think most Catholics tend to be pretty relaxed on their religious views and more open minded. Most of the crazy religious groups are protestant.

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:36 pm

WOW, i hope this won't become a war...
I've heard many pilotical and religious off topic opinions in this forum that really bothered me, but i haven't said anything, because i didn't feel identified with those obtuse views of the christian people.

I'm a Catholic, as the most people in my country are. My family never spoke to me about God or anything, i grew mi faith for myself, and all my beliefs are mine, not for the beliefs of others. I'm very conservative, but that doesn't forbid me of enjoying an inteligent anime like Evangelion, or neither even listen to a great album like Antichrist Superstar by Manson. The crazy conservative people are just Totalitarians that want everybody to think the same way they think, and are afraid of everything else in the world.
*insert cool signature here*

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:16 pm

i am a christian but this doesn't mean that i cannot watch evangelion or listen to black sabbath or to watch some movies related to satanism.But unfortunately there are a lot of people here very narrow-minded who believe that these kind of stuff will make you satanist and other crazy things and the worst some other people believe them!

Shinseki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Shinseki » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:53 pm

Well, that's the thing. I always hoped that religion would be kept separate from school, even if students create a religious club or something. Since prayer in schools has been shot down (at least for now), we have to wonder were the boundary is between the church and state. I consider the education system a major part of the state.
Image Image Image

Abaddon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Abaddon » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:03 am

Oh geez, well since religion has been thrown into the mix I’ll say my piece. My father (and in fact many of my ancestors) is a preacher. To make matters more complicated he is a very conservative Protestant Preacher. He looks at scientific theories like Evolution and The Big Bang theory has foolishness. In fact, he never has approved of my love for Science, Philosophy, Technology, Psychology and other religions. This saddens me greatly, after all, he is an intellectual, a Educated Man with a Ph.D in Theology.

If I were to start talking to my father about NGE, he would more then likely destroy my dvds and mangas.
He also doesn’t believe in separation of Church and State, it shames me. When I told him about
Nanotechnolgy, he thought I wanted to create human beings or replace god. I decided, the best way for him to cope with the idea was to feed him information bit by bit.After a few months, he finally came to understand the amazing Possibilities Nanotechnology promises. I don’t think he well able to ever understand eva.
Farwell happy fields, where joy forever dwells. Hail, Herrors, Hail abominations, and thy most profoundest hell, welcome your new ruler. One who's made is not changed by place or time. For the mind is it's own place, and can make a hell of heaven a heaven of hell. What matter where if I am eternally the same. Thus, for me, it is better to rule in hell then serve in heaven.

Vulkurt
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Vulkurt » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:55 am

This is getting radically off topic. If you'd like to discuss religious views concerning Eva, might I suggest starting another topic?
Done. Guarding.

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Off Topic? We don't need no stinking topic.

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:26 pm

Hold up!
I'm Catholic too! I had no Idea there were so many of us into Evangelion!
(thought i was the only one) I feel better! :lol:

i am a christian but this doesn't mean that i cannot watch evangelion or listen to black sabbath or to watch some movies related to satanism.

Amen! Being a christian (or catholic) is not about having a narrow mind!
That's what gets me. All this stuff, Lilith, the book of Enoch, even to some extent hell, is getting taken out of the religon!
I mean, there cleaning it up! Since when is Christianity poltically correct!?

i grew mi faith for myself, and all my beliefs are mine, not for the beliefs of others. I'm very conservative, but that doesn't forbid me of enjoying an inteligent anime like Evangelion, or neither even listen to a great album like Antichrist Superstar by Manson. The crazy conservative people are just Totalitarians that want everybody to think the same way they think, and are afraid of everything else in the world.

Preach it!
If you don't grow your faith for yourself, if you're "beliefs" aren't yours then you're just being false to yourself. Your supposed to have your own opinions on everything, not be afraid of everything!
I mean, what are you afraid of? If your afraid of a black sabbath (Manson, Metallica, AFI, whatever) Album, doesn't that say more about the strength or your own faith?

What is faith and belifs but a fearless establishment of ones personal choices?

He looks at scientific theories like Evolution and The Big Bang theory has foolishness. In fact, he never has approved of my love for Science, Philosophy, Technology, Psychology and other religions. This saddens me greatly, after all, he is an intellectual, a Educated Man with a Ph.D in Theology.

Everyone in my family but my parents are the same way.
And I really don't know why. I'm catholic, but I love all the subjects you just listed, and does that mean I'm a heathen? No.

I just belive a narrow mind is a danerous one. And nobody should be able to say that someone else's belifs are foolishness. At least they belive in something.
No one ahas all the answers, we should be finding out as much as we can.
Why does a difference in personal belifes create such havoc? Just agree to disagree.

thinking = thought
thought = chance of becoming an individual
individual = singualar thought
singulaur thought = no longer Christian

Good point. Why? Why does being a christian mean you have to stop thinking? I must have missed that verse in the bible.

This is getting radically off topic. If you'd like to discuss religious views concerning Eva, might I suggest starting another topic?

Yeah, we are getting of topic, but that's what happens during a good discussion, it often leads to another good discussion.
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:16 am

People who don't like Evangelion because of their religious beliefs fall into two categories: (A) the scared Jesus-watchdogs who feel uneasy about the presence of the obtuse symbolism and the fact that Angels are being slaughtered, and (B) those who are very dedicated to their faith and also happen to recognize the actual message of the story: that of singularity and a free mind. There are diverse interpretations of the story, but overall you have something that conflicts directly with what virtually all Christian churches have to say: that happiness is only found through salvation in Jesus Christ.

The Gospel of the New Age is just that; it may be an anime and manga, but it also presents a concept which, as we will see, is going to meet harsh resistance. The reason there is not as big a stink about it as there would be if it were, say, a book in Scriptural form is because of its face value: it is an animated series, designed to entertain. I'm not saying that Anno had a secret agenda to seep unChristian ideas into the minds of otaku everywhere (I'll also not deny it), but it is definitley a representation of something that is oppositional to traditional beliefs about life and values.

Looking at group B, only a person serious about their faith would dislike Evangelion for the stated reason. Acceptence without belief constitutes the other subdivision. For example, if you took seriously the idea about not accepting or promoting false faiths, and the idea that Christianity is the only true faith (this shit's in the Bible, people), you would have no choice but to hold Eva up to the blacklight and tell others that it is a false Gospel.
As someone who grew up believing and studying the Bible, I can say that by Christian standards, an open mind is not something that can be embraced so readily, if at all. Thank Lilith those days are over. Praise Myself!

But anyhow, this is extremely off-topic. Please veer back to school discussion.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”