Episode 21 reduced me to tears

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

AceRei
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AceRei » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:28 pm

Never cried during Eva. Did during other anime like Steins Gate or Monster or Cowboy Bebop, so its not that I don't cry, but not for Eva. I guess I was too confused to cry, although it definitely left an impact on me.
In my restless dreams, I see that town.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:45 pm

The only anime that ever made me cry afterwards or during was Grave of the Fireflies. The only effect Eva had was it made it really hard to fall asleep after marathoning through the latter half of the series.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

PanzerEVA
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby PanzerEVA » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:17 am

I've decided that almost every episode after the 12th angel is far too confusing or scary to consider watching again, not least 25 and 26. EoE was also incredibly wierd. But it does leave me wondering: why is it just Shinji and Asuka at the very end? There are all sorts of questions I have about it.

Think I'd rather spend the time watching rebuild... :facepalm:

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:32 am

Quick answer: They're just the first to come back. Many would disagree with me about this. Including other mods and admins. But, many (more, I'd hope) would agree with me. That's the hopeful interpretation of the ending, at least.

There is absolutely no consensus, to say the least. :lol:
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:03 am

^ I like to believe that.

PanzerEVA
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby PanzerEVA » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:21 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:They're just the first to come back.
Actually, I just noticed on your own wiki that she is the first person after Shinji to reject Instrumentality. So it wasn't because of another reason I thought of, but rather that. Which means the rest of the world could come back following the end of EoE. Which means Reconstruction!

Hurrah! I actually understand something!

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:51 am

Reactions to a recent first watching of the show and general sharing of related reaction experiences belong here in chit-chat, no problem. Welcome to the club, PanzerEVA!

However, before anybody gets too involved in the side comments I should direct traffic. Specifically:
  • Continuing debate on the various stances people hold on concurrency or lack thereof should go HERE.
  • Speculations on post-3I existence being a message of hope or a countdown to extinction should go HERE.
...or one of the other dozen or so threads that already exist on either topic. These are old, deep battle lines that aren't likely to be resolved soon, if ever.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:44 am

Good god, Grave of the Fireflies is without a doubt the saddest movie I've ever watched, animated or otherwise. It reduced my wife and I to sobbing babies, no exaggeration.

A few years later, my eldest daughter and I who has also grown into an anime fan (like she had a choice) were for some reason talking about tearjerker movies. She claimed that there was no way an anime could ever make her cry.

Challenge was accepted.

2 hours later.... :scared: :spout: :raincloud: :boohoo: :crybaby:

And as for me, even on second viewing knowing what was going to come I had a lump in my throat that wouldn't go down for a good hour after.

In a nutshell, if this movie DOSEN'T make you cry, you're not human.

So Evangelion? Not even close. It was far too strange for that. It will definately keep you up at night the first time you see End of Evangelion, but as AceRei said, it's just too confusing to let any real sadness at the extinction of 99.9% of humanity (unless they of their own focused willpower wish to leave the sea of people soup..er..LCL.) affect you.
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:36 pm

View Original PostJurrasic wrote:
In a nutshell, if this movie DOSEN'T make you cry, you're not human.

I´m an alien?

Anyway, I´m shocked that someone cried in Evangelion, doesn´t seem the type of anime that should make you cry.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:42 pm

Let's not turn this into a dick waving contest, gentlemen. Nobody is challenging your internet tough guy credentials.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

PanzerEVA
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby PanzerEVA » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:43 pm

Just watched Rebuild 1.0. Loved it. Shame some of favourite parts from the series were missing, but I understand why.

Watching 2.0 tomorrow, can't wait!

I guess the reason I cried was that I could relate somewhat. I've had a terrible life and sometimes all I want to do is hide away.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:57 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Reactions to a recent first watching of the show and general sharing of related reaction experiences belong here in chit-chat, no problem.

That's why I moved it here from Discussion :tongue: or did you get that memo? ...Nevermind.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:32 am

View Original PostPanzerEVA wrote:Watching 2.0 tomorrow, can't wait!

2.0 and Q... you're in for MUCH more bawling...

If it's any consolation to anyone feeling they're the only weirdo out there: I was reduced to tears by the ending of Serial Experiments Lain, of all things...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

PanzerEVA
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby PanzerEVA » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:27 pm

Just finished 2.0, awesome!

3.0 next, but can't find the dub. Has dub of 3.0 been made yet? I should expect so, but may have to watch the subbed version instead.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:31 pm

No dubs yet.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

PanzerEVA
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby PanzerEVA » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:14 pm

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:No dubs yet.
Yeah ok. Just read the wikipedia page (didn't peek at the story). Guess the dub will come along later this year, maybe early next. The wait would be intense.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:08 pm

View Original PostPanzerEVA wrote:Yeah ok. Just read the wikipedia page (didn't peek at the story). Guess the dub will come along later this year, maybe early next. The wait would be intense.

Unless you plan on following TehDonutKing's lead and take a leave from the forum, I highly suggest you watch the sub. You won't stay unspoiled for long if you start delving into the Eva-related discussions in this forum.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:23 pm

...besides, we're all curious for your reaction!

:devil:
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

lilim
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby lilim » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:53 pm

i don't remember crying while actually watching Evangelion but iirc i have while talking about it, once or twice.

but the Marineford arc in the One Piece manga and the end of Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica both made me cry. i've also cried discussing certain points of Sailor Moon. i've never seen Grave of the Fireflies, but my mother has told me that if i don't cry at it when i get around to seeing it, i have no heart..

PanzerEVA
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby PanzerEVA » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:10 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:I highly suggest you watch the sub.
I didn't say I wasn't going to watch did I? ;)

Of course though, I will watch the dub when it comes along.

...besides, we're all curious for your reaction!
You sure about that?

EDIT: Watched 3.0 ahead of schedule. Have to say I'm a little disappointed with the storyline. I mean, 14 years?! I was also having computer trouble (as always), so it stuttered for pretty much the whole way through.
It wasn't terrible, just not as enjoyable as I thought it would be. Perhaps when I have a better pc I'll have fun.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”