Evangelion interest waning?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:33 pm

It's not so much that I'm less interested; just that I'm that much stronger now than I was a few years previously.
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Tribblepoo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:30 am

Ok, no more browsing these forums first thing in the morning for me. I first read the title of this thread as "Evangelion Incest Warning".

Fuck, I need coffee...or to get laid. Or both.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:31 pm

View Original PostTribblepoo wrote:Ok, no more browsing these forums first thing in the morning for me. I first read the title of this thread as "Evangelion Incest Warning".

That tile would have just invited me to enter :wink:

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Tribblepoo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:41 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:That tile would have just invited me to enter :wink:

You're implying that's not what motivated me to click the link.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:49 pm

View Original PostTribblepoo wrote:You're implying that's not what motivated me to click the link.

Assumed it wasn't. If it was, :glomp:

BlackberryMilk
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BlackberryMilk » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:44 pm

I think with every new generation, there will be the rediscovery of Eva. The same goes for just about anything, the waxing and waning of movies, shows, fads.. Then the sudden rehash of popularity from the newcomers. This forum itself has a pretty big spectrum in terms of age..I guess it kind of shows this.

Rebuild has really made it accesible for said newcomers, I've noticed another spike in interest, and quite a lot of new fans, these guys...they keep the dream alive.
PSN: HTMLOL

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Tribblepoo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:01 pm

View Original PostBlackberryMilk wrote:I think with every new generation, there will be the rediscovery of Eva.

This is a good thing, but this phenomenon is exactly what has led to the remake fever that Hollywood has become infamous for. I suspect this was part of the reason behind Rebuild. In order to appeal to a new generation that, in general, can't be bothered to watch something as "old, stale and dated" as the original, they trotted out a flashy, new product with the same name and some resemblance to the original.

However, in the case of Rebuild, they didn't do a bad job. They kept much the same mood and elements as the original, even though they are disappointingly lacking in a lot of the deeper aspects that made the original appealing, likely due to time constraints.

One thing I do wonder though; 20 years from now, will another generation be anally probing Rebuild for some of the silly frame by frame analysis and fanwanking to the same degree as with the original? I honestly hope to be around to find out.

BlackberryMilk
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BlackberryMilk » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:05 pm

In an weird way.. I kind of hope it continues.. Maybe not going as far as saying I want an American live-action remake with Michael Cera as Shinji, but in doing so it brings more money to the series, and keeps it accesible for us.
PSN: HTMLOL

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:13 pm

Oh, please not Michael Cera - he almost (not quite, but almost) spoilt Scott Pilgrim for me, and I don't see him being any better as Shinji.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:15 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Oh, please not Michael Cera - he almost (not quite, but almost) spoilt Scott Pilgrim for me, and I don't see him being any better as Shinji.

I can see how you wouldn't like his acting, but I thought he did a pretty good job as Scott. Shinji, though? Nope.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:20 pm

I think a big factor is whether the series gets some kind of restoration or update at some point. I don't think people are going to want to watch series like Eva in grainy black boxes on their 12k hypervioletray televisions 20 years from now.

Madonna
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Madonna » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:52 pm

Anime has it's lows and peaks in terms of popularity, with the early 2000's being a huge peak in interest of anime (including Evangelion).

However I do think that Evangelion has started to really stand on it's own especially with the rebuild films which have taken Evangelion from being "just" an anime series to a franchise.

user-02
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby user-02 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:11 pm

Michael Cera basically is Shinji. Especially in his Arrested Development days.

Haters gonna hate!

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:20 pm

View Original Postuser-02 wrote:Michael Cera basically is Shinji. Especially in his Arrested Development days.

Wait a moment, he's right... :vomit:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:56 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Oh, please not Michael Cera - he almost (not quite, but almost) spoilt Scott Pilgrim for me, and I don't see him being any better as Shinji.
The stars of the Scott Pilgrim movie are the Evil-exes, not Scott or Ramona.
Specially Jason Schwartzman : a guy able to make Gideon even more of a dick than in the comics really deserves praise!
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”