The most disturbing moment in Evangelion

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

SJCrew
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby SJCrew » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:24 am

Evangelion subjects you to some pretty disturbing shit on a regular basis, but the one that hit me the hardest was when Ritsuko showed Rei all those clones of herself...felt a deep depression in the pit of my soul for that girl right then and there, and could never look at her the same way again.

That doesn't stop me from necessarily liking Rei as a character, I just really dislike the fact that out of all the character trauma occurring through the series, she gets it the worst, being hurt, used, and even killed on a regular basis; all without the capacity to express how she feels about it. That's like, beyond sad...that's just heartbreaking

If they gave her one crying scene, just one, I wouldn't feel so bad about the way they completely and utterly raped her character throughout the entire series. She's probably meant to be some unsympathetic rag doll, but she has a human side to her that makes you wanna just hold her and give her a shoulder to cry on.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:03 am

View Original PostSJCrew wrote:Evangelion subjects you to some pretty disturbing shit on a regular basis, but the one that hit me the hardest was when Ritsuko showed Rei all those clones of herself...felt a deep depression in the pit of my soul for that girl right then and there, and could never look at her the same way again.

That doesn't stop me from necessarily liking Rei as a character, I just really dislike the fact that out of all the character trauma occurring through the series, she gets it the worst, being hurt, used, and even killed on a regular basis; all without the capacity to express how she feels about it. That's like, beyond sad...that's just heartbreaking

If they gave her one crying scene, just one, I wouldn't feel so bad about the way they completely and utterly raped her character throughout the entire series. She's probably meant to be some unsympathetic rag doll, but she has a human side to her that makes you wanna just hold her and give her a shoulder to cry on.

A few pointers that I want to let you know on (SPOILERS AHOY):
SPOILER: Show
1) Actually, Risuko showed Misato and Shinji the clones of Rei.
2) Also, she did break tears in the same episode...probably twice (after seeing her inner evil self, of course).
3) Since she is a clone, she is designed to not have all of the human feelings. If she did, why would she still use the EVA? Why do you think she doesn't give much sympathy nor happiness (well, there was a little happiness) to Shinji, the son of the one (Gendo Ikari) who made Rei?

Truth be told, I'm not the full expert on this, so don't fully rely me as the best source. Can anyone else clarify on this?

SJCrew
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby SJCrew » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:58 am

Not designed to have all of the human emotions? Where did you hear that from? I don't think Rei was "designed" to do anything, other than pilot the Eva. Other than that, her cold mannerisms were simply adopted from the lack of any major influence or social contact besides Gendo. She felt happiness, sadness, embarrassment, and possibly even love throughout the series quite clearly.

If any of the other stuff you've said is true, then it must have been quite a while since I've last seen any Eva episodes. I suppose I'll need to catch up.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:15 pm

View Original PostSJCrew wrote:Not designed to have all of the human emotions? Where did you hear that from? I don't think Rei was "designed" to do anything, other than pilot the Eva. Other than that, her cold mannerisms were simply adopted from the lack of any major influence or social contact besides Gendo. She felt happiness, sadness, embarrassment, and possibly even love throughout the series quite clearly.

If any of the other stuff you've said is true, then it must have been quite a while since I've last seen any Eva episodes. I suppose I'll need to catch up.

You're right, she does feel "happiness, sadness, embarrassment, and possibly even love throughout the series quite clearly", but sometimes, she does her orders with no regrets, just... you know what? Forget what I said about the "designed" thing and let's move on...

Kaworu-chan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kaworu-chan » Sun May 02, 2010 4:57 pm

All of EoE was disturbing especially the Shinji Asuka hospital scene.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sun May 02, 2010 5:00 pm

View Original PostKaworu-chan wrote:All of EoE was disturbing especially the Shinji Asuka hospital scene.

...along with this line, "I'm so f***ed up."

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sun May 02, 2010 6:16 pm

I guess I’m just strange, but nothing in the TV series or the movies really disturbed me.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:18 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:I guess I’m just strange, but nothing in the TV series or the movies really disturbed me.

We have a champion here! Looks like we have someone who can handle the entire show without being disturbed! :clap:

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sun May 02, 2010 8:30 pm

I don’t really know if that’s something to take pride in or not but thanks anyways for the round of applause. :thumbsup:
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Mon May 03, 2010 1:18 pm

the most disturbing moment in the series for me has to be in episode 19, unit-01 pouncing on and eating zeruel. there's something about the shadowy sketchiness of the whole scene, the way sho moves in such an animalistic way-- biting and pulling and ripping and the sounds and oh man, at one point it pauses and, still crouching on its legs it looks back at the camera with those big, bright eyes and it looks almost like a hyena or some other sort of wild creature and it's just... damn, that image is just seared into my brain.

it was the first complete episode of eva i saw. fortunately, it shocked me enough to recognize that this series was something different altogether, and made me want to keep watching it. unfortunately, it scared the crap out of me. i still have nightmares.
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

Bloopy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Bloopy » Mon May 03, 2010 4:37 pm

For me personally it was the sudden realization after several years had passed after I had seen EoE that Shinji nutted on his hand. I saw the movie when I was the tender, innocent age of 12 and I was like, "Why did he sneeze on his hand??" Then I came back to it years later and I was like AHHHHHHHH THAT'S NOT SNOT!!!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ ┻━┻ WAI YOU FRIPPU MAI TABERU

Meghan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Meghan » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:56 pm

"Disturbed" isn't the appropriate word to use when explaining how I felt 80% of the time while watching the entirety of the series.
Better words would be "puzzled", "intrigued" and "shocked".

Although, the scene where it is implied that Kaji and Misato are having intercourse and Shinji is standing there watching is VERY disturbing to me, personally.
:asuka_sad:
As for the Shinji and Asuka hospital masturbation scene: I don't think that a 14 year-old boy masturbating to a naked woman is that disturbing. What is MORE disturbing is seeing a brief shot of Shinji holding his semen in his hands. Dear god, that shit is nasty! I betcha it smells like french fries.
ARGGHHHHH!
"I'd rather live in a world with people in it, no matter how stained it is with sin."
-Kouzou Fuyutsuki

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

I will never eat french fries again.

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:28 pm

View Original PostMeghan wrote:What is MORE disturbing is seeing a brief shot of Shinji holding his semen in his hands. Dear god, that shit is nasty! I betcha it smells like french fries.

I'm so tempted to put that quote in my sig. So very, very tempted.

Anyway, the most disturbing part of the series for me would be in EoE when Asuka's torn apart by the harpies. After that scene ended, I realized I'd been watching it with my mouth hanging open in horror. Nothing has ever coaxed that reaction out of me before or since.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:07 pm

View Original PostMeghan wrote:What is MORE disturbing is seeing a brief shot of Shinji holding his semen in his hands. Dear god, that shit is nasty! I betcha it smells like french fries.
:hitthetable: It's not all THAT bad. Texture-wise it's like liquid soap... It just doesn't lather very well. ;)
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

NatTheWriter
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby NatTheWriter » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:47 pm

^ ...oi, seriously? o-o that's what it is?

well then.

---

A good number of the moments in EoE I found disturbing were in what people said, rather than what happened to them. :S Asuka berating Shinji in the kitchen ("You're all you have and you've never even loved yourself!"), for one.

Probably worst of all was this entire conversation before Instrumentality starts, overlapping as one of the saddest moments in the show for me:

Shinji: Nobody wants me. So, everybody just die.
Rei: Then, what are those hands for?
Shinji: Nobody cares whether I exist or not. Nothing will change. So, everybody just die.
Rei: Then, what is that heart for?
Shinji: It'd be better if I wasn't here either. So I should just die, too.
Rei: Then, why are you here?
Shinji: Is it okay for me to be here?
(Silence.)

Especially that last part. o_o "Silence". Gah.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:57 pm

View Original PostNatTheWriter wrote:^ ...oi, seriously? o-o that's what it is? well then.
What's funny is that after writing that I seemed to recall a Will & Grace episode (I think) where they were bottling "samples", mixing it with something else, and selling it as shampoo...
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:00 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote::hitthetable: It's not all THAT bad. Texture-wise it's like liquid soap... It just doesn't lather very well. ;)

:vomit:

Meghan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Meghan » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:45 pm

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:I'm so tempted to put that quote in my sig. So very, very tempted.

You totally should. :lol: Everyone can read your signature and associate me with french-fry flavored, Shinji semen. :wink:

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote::hitthetable: It's not all THAT bad.

I whole-fully disagree.
"I'd rather live in a world with people in it, no matter how stained it is with sin."
-Kouzou Fuyutsuki

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:13 pm

View Original PostMeghan wrote:You totally should. :lol: Everyone can read your signature and associate me with french-fry flavored, Shinji semen. :wink:

Done and done.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:19 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote::vomit:
You should look back about 5 years in this thread and see how much tamer it has become since.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”