If you could create your own character and put them into NGE

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Nyanlathotep
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Nyanlathotep » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:49 pm

View Original PostClover wrote:Think of all the hot babes you'd have to sacrifice for such a project. I'd rather have a bunch of angst-ridden milfs piloting their children.

Writing up a fanfic right now.
開いたばかりの花が散るのを
見ていた木立の遣る瀬無きかな

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:49 pm

The cultist idea isn't bad, either.

In the project I'm currently working in, I put in a few minor ones, maybe to bring about certain situations, often giving them lines by random techies or having them do spy and sabotage work that we already know someone must've done.

I have:

Shinji's SEELE affilated maternal grandmother.
There's the implication that Gendo did certain things/made use of quite a few contacts to keep her and the rest of the family far away from his son, be it because he can't have a well-indoctrinated SEELE puppet in his favored doomsday machine, or genuine will to protect his child.
But this woman finds her way of contacting him, and I think that could create an interesting situation of "temptation" for Shinji to face -
He doesn't know anything of his mother or of having a family, so meeting someone who can tell him about her (only what they want him to know, of course) and an actual relative who offers to treat him like one isn't something he's likely to resist, even if he's told to stay away from her, even if she's ebil. And he'll wonder "If I have living relatives, and father didn't want me anyway, why didn't he leave me with them?" He'll feel like something was witheld from him. Excellent drama source.
And the lady herself? Does she want to secure him as a pawn for the scenario, does she really want to connect with him or is it in-between? I think I might leave that a bit ambiguous, actually.

This setup could also provide interesting opportunity for interaction between Shinji and Gendo. Putting something of a test of trust there that seemingly worked out, just before Bardiel? That sounds suitably evil. Still thinking about it.

Asahina Najiko, a minor antagonist, apparently a section 2 agent (because, they can't be a total sausage fest!), but actually a SEELE operative implied to have a personal Grudge against Yui, and something of a foil to her, a childless business-woman in her thirties (because that's the one age group that isn't represented in EVA XD )
Turns out to be Yui's younger sister, Ikari Honoka, my main idea being to do something with the whole "Yui is from a clan of conspirators"-information tidbit and to tell the individual story of a SEELE supporter and their reasons for supporting SEELE, to give them more of a face, so to speak. Can't give the big interger bozos a face, they're shadowy monoliths for a reason, but they must have goons.
She's also there to give both Gendo and Kaji something more tangible to oppose, I guess.
She's rather icy and professional (we see her rebuffing one of Kaji's flirting/triggering-mIsato's-jealousy attempts pretty coldly, and while she did some socializing under her various guises she used when employed a different NERv bases (before she moved to HQ, she was stationed in bethany base as "Ueda Nadesha")) but secretly pretty fanatic and hate-filled. She believes that instrumentality is the only way that society can ever be truly equal, since individual human's differences and imperfections will always inevitably lead to some being better off than others. Outwardly, she seems to think of herself pretty highly/as "chosen", looking down at the "unknowing masses" because she was born into an elite family knowing the truth - but the truth is that she secretly has an inferiority complex from being in her genius sister's shadow, which is also why she ultimately really desires for everyone to be one - so no one can be better than anyone else.
She sees Yui as someone selfish and manipulative, and a traitor to their cause, and that she set it all up to become immortal, maybe only being so fiercely loyal to SEELE simply because Yui was not. She also lacks any respect for Gendo and pretty much things of him as a small fry who doesn't know his place and is only in charge of NERV because Yui considered him an entertaining boytoy untill she got bored with playing family, and is disgusted that Shinji and Gendo are even allowed to carry her family's name. (She'll often call Gendo "Rokubungi" whenever they're alone or surrounded by people privy to her identity) She only sees her nephew from afar, but never seeks interaction with him or tells him that she's his aunt, even if there was ample opportunity - She sorta saved him once in her work as the security lady, and he went to thank her the next time she saw him - she sorta endures his presence whenever they meet being polite but never anything more.
There is, however, the implication that she has neglected chances for her to be happy with her own life because of her obsession with what her family wants, to give it more dimension/shade.
She could've gotten together with some guy, but broke off all bonds because she put "the cause" first.

Then, perhaps the most prominent ones in the fic (not too prominent - Nagato's role is comparable to Hikari's or Kensuke's), Mitsurugi Minoru and his son Nagato, sort of foils to Shinji and Gendo, respectively, and inserted to bring about certain situations. Particularly Nagato exists to say certain dialogue lines that Touji or Kensuke aren't serious enough for.

I guess he's meant to partially be the harmless resignated type Shinji is at times mistaken for, but he's more serious and doesn't have that just-ignore-weirdness-trait, though he still only quitely muses about it - but he does, for example, notice the conspicous absense of mothers in their class and point it out to Shinji.
He kinda admires Shinji, but his view of him as a hero who sacrifices a lot for the greater good is a bit off and also makes Shin-chan a bit uncomfortable. He sort of admires him, but not in the way Kensuke does.

And then there's his father, a NERV technician, Widower, single parent and the classic embarassing doting father, but there are also implications of a dark secret - he often feel inssuficient in his job of raising the kid and even contemplated putting him in a boarding school some which comes as a shocking reveal to Shinji.
Ocassionally drives his Junior to school, and all of you can probably already picture how witnessing this makes poor Shin-chan feel.

But while he has virtues that Gendo doesn't have, I'm planning to show that he sorta lacks some of the virtues Gendo does have.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:22 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Plus, he points out that while pilots usually get all the credit for a victory, they'd be unable to do their job without the non-combat support crew keeping their rides in one piece - which is where he comes in as logistics officer (I figured his military fetish would mean he has the mental faculties to memorize lots of small details).

Kensuke seems like a young Otacon to me. He could design all sorts of sick tech for the Evas.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:17 pm

View Original PostClover wrote:He could design all sorts of sick tech for the Evas.

In the story I mentioned, he's a Gundam UC fan but he's not R&D. Shinji, on the other hand, IS a scientist and finds Kensuke's "demonstration materials" highly interesting... I'll leave the rest to your imagination as I believe we're getting too off-topic already; if not satisfied, PM me.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:34 pm

Being the semi-anime sadist that I am, I'd insert a character that would further destroy Asuka's mental well-being while interacting with her when doing so. It would be interesting to have a character that Asuka had some kind of communication with during her breakdowns, instead of merely screaming at herself inside of her head.

Of course, that's just me.

EvaBrothers
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaBrothers » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:49 pm

I don't mind SIs and generally like OCs in all forms, shapes and responsibilities within a FF. I like to explore a fan's feelings behind a FF and SIs/OCs do that just fine. ^^

My OCs take different roles in the continuity (post-3I). I like to use them to help the canon characters bring out aspects of their personality not shown in the TV series or the movies, or those that are fruit of speculation.
~ Luana Spinetti ~ [email protected] (Email)
Note: I'm no longer the author of the fanfiction "Eva Brothers from Cybertron". I passed authorship to a friend (Lia Dospetti) who's turning it into her own work, while still maintaining homages to NGE and Transformers, as well as Star Trek. I still draw the artworks, though, and I have some fragments of the old fanfic here.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:00 pm

Finally got around to tracking down the Evangelion Mary Sue Test on the Wayback Machine.

Interestingly enough, of the characters I've inserted into the canon in fics, with the intent of the derailing the handcart to hell in which the cast find themselves (so that Asuka doesn't end up in "Kimochi warui" land at the end), the telepathic emortal werewolf from the future with a starship and a whole personal industrial base behind her scores much lower than the Angelic Layer champion who manages to parlay that skill into Eva piloting, while getting to look after Shinji.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:08 pm

"Four points if that includes Gendo"

LOL.
Then again, I can say that this applies to none of mineXD
Two are explicitly enemies with him (being SEELE affilated) and the third (afore mentioned doting-father-guy) eventually grows to dislike him a lot, with Gendo himself being mostly meh about him.
They notably consider each other more terrible parents than themselves. Gendo's probably worse, but the OC guy really hates himself. (Because, who other than Mari and Kaworu doesn't?)
He offers one to spare another's life, but that's entirely related to their connection to Shinji/similarities to his own situation, under the circumstances, it IS a sadistic choice, and Gendo decides to have them killed in the end, and I mean for the whole thing to end up feeling like a snark back for the bardiel incident. "So Shinji, you said you'd rather die? Then you should be glad that I'm giving your little buddy that choice now that the whole plan isn't at stake..."

in b4 someone snarky posting Mari's score on this.

EDIT: It's 25. So she's only slightly above the most-definitely-not-a-sue-line and still far from the danger zone, counting "Illustrious" as a "cool name" and assuming her synch ratio is somewhere between Asuka's and Shinji's, as stated by some unused material/indicated by her in-movie degree of physical injury from her first battle and assuming that she
clarifying Q related details that aren't relevant if you haven't seen it  SPOILER: Show

looked her age in 2.0, not counting looking younger than she is in Q because, as with being a teenager, that applies to all pilots by default
, counting her piloting EVA 02, but not counting her other non MP-Eva modells because those are frequent in Rebuild, like Kaworu's Mark Six, but counting EVA 05 as having "special equipment".
comment related to Mari befriending someone or lack thereof  SPOILER: Show

Not sure if post!Bardiel-epiphany Asuka still warrants three points, but I added those anyway

She's definitely trying to SEELE/stop 3-I/save the world, but only Final will tell if she suceeds...
something Mari does in Q, and how that affected her score  SPOILER: Show
But I gave her a single point for stopping fourth impact
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Lance of LoL
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Lance of LoL » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:30 am

Am I the only one who would enjoy creating a shameless self insert of myself into Evangelion, then to brutally murder myself?

Not for any badass, going out like a boss type thing. Just dies. Gets introduced, followed for half a chapter, then rofl-stomped in a battle. Just to prove that people with lives and faces die in this series. All those ships Gaghiel takes out, Those tanks and airships that get obliterated. Don't get me wrong, after the comically evil JSSDF from EoE, I have no sympathy for them, but just something to prove that ordinary people, no one special get absolutely shit on in this series.
Avatar: MAKE WAY FOR THE HOMO SUPERIOR!

>>>>Rebuild of Evangelion RP "If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough."~Meister Eckhart<<<<

Nuke-kun: I know not of this "civil conversation" bullshit you speak of.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:28 am

View Original PostLance of LoL wrote:Am I the only one who would enjoy creating a shameless self insert of myself into Evangelion, then to brutally murder myself?

There's really not much point to that; any nameless character would suffice as sacrificial lamb.

Thing is, the many badly-done self-inserts have ruined the genre so badly, almost everyone has a gut reaction of crying Mary Sue at the first sign of a SI. I still think it can be done well, albeit it would take a very good writer to do so as realistically, the SI shouldn't be able to make any serious alterations to the verse without risking being fragged by the schemers (Gendo, Keel, etc.).

Optimally, the SI shouldn't have any connections to NERV whatsoever; if he/she does, only as a formerly-nameless technician or similarly low-rank position. Classmate of the pilots is out of the question as we all know the whole class is made up of pilot candidates (with one EU exception who was backed by the JSSDF anyway), which the SI is definitely NOT.

It goes without saying that shipping yourself with anyone in the cast is a no-no. In fact, shipping yourself with anyone at all sounds cheesy to the audience; it's the Evaverse they're interested in, not your romantic fantasies. Still, if you really must do it, just make an OC for that purpose. Still sounds cheesy but at least it won't piss off anyone.

EvaBrothers
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaBrothers » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:44 am

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:It goes without saying that shipping yourself with anyone in the cast is a no-no. In fact, shipping yourself with anyone at all sounds cheesy to the audience; it's the Evaverse they're interested in, not your romantic fantasies.

Unless one is writing for 'serious' fans, I see nothing wrong with that. Personally, I enjoy reading people's fantasies (and writing mine) about their favorite fandom. Then again, that's good I'm writing for a circle of friends or fans of the same kind. If I write for all the other fans it can't get too personal to make it interesting; but I still think it's important that the fan puts some of him/herself into the work-- or it doesn't convey personality. :)
Note: I'm no longer the author of the fanfiction "Eva Brothers from Cybertron". I passed authorship to a friend (Lia Dospetti) who's turning it into her own work, while still maintaining homages to NGE and Transformers, as well as Star Trek. I still draw the artworks, though, and I have some fragments of the old fanfic here.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:50 am

I meant romantic fantasies involving oneself.

It depends on one's preferences, I guess. I for one have decided not to write myself into any of my stories unless it's an unnamed cameo - and for good reasons, seeing that I'm not in any position myself to fix anything in the verse anyway.

EvaBrothers
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaBrothers » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:57 am

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:I meant romantic fantasies involving oneself.

I know you meant that. ^^

Personally, I have no interest in inserting myself into the Eva world, but I've done that with Transformers because I have a strong emotional attachment to them (as in, 'imaginary family'). But I wouldn't pass that as 'fanfiction', rather 'my fanfictional imaginary life'. I make it public on my blogs, but I'd never put it on FF.net, as it's not fanfiction in the classical sense.

I'm more into OCs having an active part in a story, since I see these characters are what defines a fan from another. But that's just how I see things. ^_^

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:45 am

View Original PostEvaBrothers wrote:I'm more into OCs having an active part in a story, since I see these characters are what defines a fan from another.

We're in agreement about that.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:07 pm

If I could create a character and insert it into the Eva-verse, it would totally be BoBBQ aka Smith aka Sumisu-san, from The Tenant of Room 404.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Return to “Fan Works”