Weird observation about Asuka's many traumas

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Weird observation about Asuka's many traumas

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 14, 2012 3:05 pm

It probably doesn't mean anything, but something occurred to me just recently:

-- Asuka gets mindraped by Arael, and Shinji's father stops him from intervening.

-- Asuka gets dismembered by the MPEs and Shinji's mother stops him fron intervening.

-- Asuka gets choked out by Shinji (in real life, mind) and Shinji finally intervenes, making his own choice with no one else to get in the way.

Like I said, probably nothing. But it's still a neat little detail IMO.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Redaye
Adam

Re: Weird observation about Asuka's many traumas

Postby Redaye » Mon May 14, 2012 3:22 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It probably doesn't mean anything, but something occurred to me just recently:

-- Asuka gets mindraped by Arael, and Shinji's father stops him from intervening.

-- Asuka gets dismembered by the MPEs and Shinji's mother stops him fron intervening.

-- Asuka gets choked out by Shinji (in real life, mind) and Shinji finally intervenes, making his own choice with no one else to get in the way.

Like I said, probably nothing. But it's still a neat little detail IMO.

IMHO: Gendo's wife was at stake, Misato was too busy saving Shinji's butt to let him get there in time and Asuka stroked his face like his mom had done (if your ref is to EoE).
Process: Attempting to Comprehend
╔═══════════════════════════╗
║█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░║ (20%)
╚═══════════════════════════╝
Estimated Time Until Completion: RUNTIME ERROR 601

EVAJedi
Embryo

Postby EVAJedi » Mon May 14, 2012 10:52 pm

So what you are saying is Shinji's family always stopped him from saving her from her suffering, but when pitted with making her suffer as well, he eventually overcomes his family's sins against Asuka and intervenes on her behalf?

I would say that you have a point.
"Don't deceive, don't be deceived...don't show weakness, show your spirit....that is all."

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Tue May 15, 2012 12:52 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:-- Asuka gets choked out by Shinji (in real life, mind) and Shinji finally intervenes, making his own choice with no one else to get in the way

With "intervenes" you mean that he saves Asuka from his own hands, right? (For some reason i'm assuming you refer to One More Final)

I have the feeling that Anno intended that, and hoped that it would get noticed. It makes for a nice contrast between Shinji and his family, as well as some, uh, vision? of character development on both his and Asuka's part. I do wonder too, if the situations and other factors related to it have something to do (Thematically) with the parent who is preventing Shinji from helping.

For whatever reason this makes me think of a comment in Fight Club about how you have to eventually reject the value system of your parents (And others) In order to attain happiness or enlightement, or to attain yourself.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

EVAJedi
Embryo

Postby EVAJedi » Tue May 15, 2012 12:58 am

View Original PostDream wrote:With "intervenes" you mean that he saves Asuka from his own hands, right? (For some reason i'm assuming you refer to One More Final)

I have the feeling that Anno intended that, and hoped that it would get noticed. It makes for a nice contrast between Shinji and his family, as well as some, uh, vision? of character development on both his and Asuka's part. I do wonder too, if the situations and other factors related to it have something to do (Thematically) with the parent who is preventing Shinji from helping.

For whatever reason this makes me think of a comment in Fight Club about how you have to eventually reject the value system of your parents (And others) In order to attain happiness or enlightement, or to attain yourself.

Good point dream about "rejecting value system of your parents" - we have to remember that Shinji is in this mess because of his parents - (I mean we know that Seele would have probably found a way to do this without Shinji's mother) but the fact that Shinji is living with his teacher and had a disgraced upbringing is because of his parents actions.

The fact that he has to keep listening to his father throughout the series, which he hates and eventually seeks to disobey him,...and the fact that he says goodbye to his mother shows how he has taken that step away from his parents and will make his own decisions.

In other words, stop choking Asuka :)
"Don't deceive, don't be deceived...don't show weakness, show your spirit....that is all."

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Tue May 15, 2012 4:49 am

Yet another reason to hate Gendo, Shinji's late like always poor Asuka. :asuka_sad:
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Korgan
Adam

Postby Korgan » Tue May 15, 2012 9:42 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:-- Asuka gets dismembered by the MPEs and Shinji's mother stops him fron intervening.

Redaye wrote:Misato was too busy saving Shinji's butt to let him get there in time

Um... presumably, Yui/Unit 01 was aware of what's going after absorbing the S2 Organ and could've broken out of its cage and the bakelite in it, but decided not to? That's what I thought, anyway. Sure, Shinji thought that there was no way to launch the Eva at that point, but he probably hadn't quite understood that 01 was literally his mother until the Instrumentality itself.
"Why should things be easy to understand?"
-Thomas Pynchon, whose works I've never actually read

EVAJedi
Embryo

Postby EVAJedi » Tue May 15, 2012 2:25 pm

So in other words it was all apart of the plan, but unfortunately these children had to continue to suffer - as poor Asuka...literally experiencing the pain of being eaten alive...

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sun May 20, 2012 4:16 pm

I don't think anything but the first instance can be classified as someone "intervening", Yui probably had only a limited idea of what was going on outside (She could probably tell when "the time was right", but not every detail like who is fighting whom...), if anything stopped Shinji from saving Asuka's butt, it's the JSSDF guys and their bakelite.

The third incident can't really be called an intervention either, Shinji only stopps when she makes him stop by appealing to the better parts of him by touching his cheek.

Don't really see a repetitive motif there, nor any visual cues (similar camera angles, recycled footage...) that would suggest one, the only common denominator in the first two instances being that Shinji finds himself in a position where the people he cares about suffer and he can't do a thing about it (or so he thinks) which is by no means exclusive to Asuka's misfortunes - The Bardiel incident and Misato bawling her eyes out come to mind.

And as for Gendo stopping Shinji from saving Asuka... the harsh truth is that he was right. Letting an already psychologically unstable teenager who has a history of threatening to blow up the base near a psycho probe thing? Bad idea, especially since they couldn't exactly pull the cable out anymore.
Remember that Asuka was pretty much shooting anything in sight after Arael first got her.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Sun May 20, 2012 4:38 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:...If anything stopped Shinji from saving Asuka's butt, it's the JSSDF guys and their bakelite.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought Unit 01 was frozen in place by NERV's own Bakelite deployment, which just adds to the whole bitter irony of that scene.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

View Original PostFireand'chutes77 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought Unit 01 was frozen in place by NERV's own Bakelite deployment, which just adds to the whole bitter irony of that scene.

Correct. In fact, I don't remember the JSSDF guys deploying any bakelite. I believe it was Misato that ordered the Bakelite deployment to slow the JSSDF's advance into the NERV building.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun May 20, 2012 9:08 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:I don't think anything but the first instance can be classified as someone "intervening", Yui probably had only a limited idea of what was going on outside (She could probably tell when "the time was right", but not every detail like who is fighting whom...), if anything stopped Shinji from saving Asuka's butt, it's the JSSDF guys and their bakelite.

The first instance was Gendo.

But anyway, it was NERV's bakelite, and as we saw Yui could break out of it at her leisure. The fact she didn't until Asuka was dead means there's really no one else to blame there -- no one else had the power to do anything.

The third incident can't really be called an intervention either, Shinji only stopps when she makes him stop by appealing to the better parts of him by touching his cheek.

No, that means he stops. She didn't make him do anything -- she asked him to stop, and he chose to do as she asked. The only one who could make that decision was him, so he gets the blame (or, as the case may be, the credit).

Don't really see a repetitive motif there,

I explained the pattern in the OP. If you don't find it relevant you don't, but it's not like I'm making shit up here.

And as for Gendo stopping Shinji from saving Asuka... the harsh truth is that he was right.

No he wasn't. Letting some alien have access to one of the most potent weapons ever created is stupid. Letting someone drag said weapon out of the line of fire isn't. There were any number of options he could have used to address matters (including the one he ultimately used), but the sad fact is he considered Asuka utterly expendable. His general attitude toward the pilots and their role was abominable, and about as far from "right" as you can get.

But it's irrelevant anyway, since his reasons don't change the pattern I described.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Warren Peace » Mon May 21, 2012 1:40 am

Gendo was right. Letting Shinji out would have only resulted in two pilots being contaminated. What could Shinji do? Push Asuka out of the light (without coming into it himself), pick up the gun, activate his visor, allow the targeting system to set up a shot, and hope Arael is too slow/stupid to do anything about it? The lance was the only feasible option.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Na7e » Mon May 21, 2012 1:40 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Gendo was right. Letting Shinji out would have only resulted in two pilots being contaminated.

That doesnt stop him from sending Shinji out in the very next episode, to save Rei who is more relevant to his plans.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon May 21, 2012 2:03 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:That doesnt stop him from sending Shinji out in the very next episode, to save Rei who is more relevant to his plans.

Arguably, it's the amalgam of the defeated Angels emerging from Eva-00's body that prompts Eva-01's deployment, not the threat to Rei.

Far as Yui's inaction goes, I'd guess that she knew Eva-02 had to die one way or another: to remove the obstacle to her plans, to free the soul within for HIP, etc. With that in mind, the only logical course would be to first see how the battle above resulted on its own.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Mon May 21, 2012 2:41 pm

It was the JSSDF Guys.
Remember the scene right after Misato picks up Shinji and then tries eavesdropping on the enemy's communications? She picks up something like "the purple one has been secured, there was no problem injecting the bakelite".

View Original PostReichu wrote:Arguably, it's the amalgam of the defeated Angels emerging from Eva-00's body that prompts Eva-01's deployment, not the threat to Rei.

^This. Also, keep in mind that the situation just wasn't the same, namely, in episode 22, they still had another EVA in store who did NOT have an unpredictable pilot or an S2Engine, namely, EVA 00.
And why risk the volatile EVA with the volatile Pilot if you still have obedient little Rei?

Gendo follows exactly the same alghorithm in episode 23: He didn't want to risk the EVA with the S2 if he could help it, so he sent out EVA 02 first... but since Asuka was no longer able to pilot it, EVA 01 was the last remaining option. They couldn't have sent anyone but Shinji.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon May 21, 2012 3:13 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:we don't know enough about just how much she could tell about what was going on above to pin the blame on her.

Even before she has the S2 Engine, she seems keenly aware of her surroundings: cf. her ability to block the falling lights. [Gendo also seems to rely on this assumption: he personally goes to her cage during the Zeruel attack (to continue efforts to get her to accept the dummy system... as if his presence will make a difference?), and he speaks to her directly in #24.]

In any case, Yui frees herself from the bakelite no sooner than, and promptly after, Maya's announcement that the Soryus are dead. A connection is heavily implied.

@The OP, I think the "pattern" is a bit forced and it doesn't seem particularly relevant or meaningful to me. Let's look at this again:

A) Gendo and Yui prevent Shinji from providing aid; Asuka gets hurt (or more hurt) through forced inaction.
B) Shinji assaults Asuka (...for the second time, or third if shaking her around on her hospital bed counts), her gesture induces an emotional breakdown, and he stops.

If Gendo and Yui had personally abused Asuka, and Shinji started to "inherit" this behavior but overcame it, then you might have something. As is, however, Gendo and Yui only provide impersonal obstructions to aid and do not harm Asuka directly. The one who hurts Asuka in an intense and personal way is Shinji. That's his burden, not his parents'.

I also think you give him too much credit for stopping his assault in the final scene. I mean, thank goodness he did, but I don't think he did for the "right reasons". The caress harkens straight back to Yui's from the previous scene; Asuka's got him crying for mommy.

Overall, a more fruitful analysis would be gained by looking at the bigger picture, i.e., what's this really all about? On a most basic level, we're dealing with Shinji discovering, through Eva, his strongly intertwined capability to both help others and to hurt them, a far cry from his prior life of quiet and non-notability. All else -- e.g., also learning that he is sometimes helpless to help and that inaction can hurt as much as action; and, for that matter, discovering his capacity for violence -- flows from there.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 21, 2012 8:03 pm

Thanks for adding some perspective to the matter, Reichu. I do think there's something to be said for growing up, attending to matters of one's own volition without the interference of authority figures, etc, but I agree that that doesn't necessarily flow from the examples presented. It would probably be fair to say that the "pattern", such as it is, is more one of happenstance than design.

Ah well. I did say it was probably nothing. -o-;

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon May 21, 2012 8:43 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I do think there's something to be said for growing up, attending to matters of one's own volition without the interference of authority figures, etc, but I agree that that doesn't necessarily flow from the examples presented.

Very good, then. I must admit curiosity as to how your thought process took you here in the first place, though. I'm also a bit vague on what you're referring to with "growing up" and "attending to matters (...) authority figures".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue May 22, 2012 8:19 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Very good, then. I must admit curiosity as to how your thought process took you here in the first place, though.

Just a random observation, really. When you have Asuka on the mind these are the events that stick out, and when you're thinking about how they'll interact post-3I the issue of blame (or lack thereof) naturally comes up. From there noting the roles of the parents just amounted to a moment of fridge logic, in a "that's an odd coincidence, wonder if there's anything to it?" sort of way.

I'm also a bit vague on what you're referring to with "growing up" and "attending to matters (...) authority figures".

Nothing in particular. Mainly just the whole agency thing, asserting control over one's own life, making decisions and dealing with the consequences, etc.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”