I only watch Evangelion when I'm drunk.

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Mon May 02, 2011 8:29 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:So Misato does have some good taste when she comes to drinking :wink:

...She's yet to have Witte...

I can't describe how good it is. It is like good wine. very light, but it tastes amazing. You can only get it in a large bottle. If you ever see Witte, get it. You will not be disappointed.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Mon May 02, 2011 8:33 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:...She's yet to have Witte...

I can't describe how good it is. It is like good wine. very light, but it tastes amazing. You can only get it in a large bottle. If you ever see Witte, get it. You will not be disappointed.

Witte or Weissbier would be considered premium in Japan... Have to agree that they are very good! It is getting easier to obtain now but as far as mass produced domestic brand is concerned, it is still Yebisu...
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Tue May 03, 2011 5:22 pm

Japanese beers? Seriously? Pshaw. If you're going to drink good beer you should buy real good, preferably local beers, and if you're going to drink cheap mass marketed swill (nothing against that, a favorite past time of my own) then American swill is much more cost effective. Even good Japanese beers aren't much better than Miller High Life, and not up to Samuel Adams quality, which is still fairly mass marketed and either the bottom end of good beer or the upper end of cheap beer.
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Tue May 03, 2011 6:31 pm

View Original PostSenorSquiid wrote:Japanese beers? Seriously? Pshaw. If you're going to drink good beer you should buy real good, preferably local beers, and if you're going to drink cheap mass marketed swill (nothing against that, a favorite past time of my own) then American swill is much more cost effective. Even good Japanese beers aren't much better than Miller High Life, and not up to Samuel Adams quality, which is still fairly mass marketed and either the bottom end of good beer or the upper end of cheap beer.

Yes, seriously. Japanese beer can be really really good. Something I did not expect before I started living in the country but soon grew very fond of. I have compared the mass produced beer made in America (Bud, Miller) with those made in Japan (Kirin, Sapporo, Asahi) and I always prefer the Japanese ones. But I have to say that less mass produced beer (microbreweries) like Samuel Adams, Brookyln Lager, Anchor Steam are very good. Japan also has local beer (called Jibiiru 地ビール) and microbreweries and they are very good too, and from the few dozens I have tasted I can say they all match Samuel Adams quality. The problem is more an issue of availability, particularly outside Japan. One brand that is relatively easily available in Japan (sometimes even sold in supermarket) is Ginga Kogen Beer (galaxy highland beer) which is a weissbier. They have an English website too
http://www.gingakogenbeer.com/english/index.html
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Korgan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Korgan » Wed May 04, 2011 12:04 am

I rewatched a few select episodes and EoE while high on DXM. Man, that was so jaw-dropping. Felt much more real and vivid than anything in this world. I had a hallucination of being Shinji and talking to Gendo afterwards.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:45 pm

OOH, never tried this before. Time for another marathon of EVA... this time, being drunk. Bottoms up! :chug: ... oh, wait, :chug:... Ok, then... (five minutes into the show) :dizzy: ...the F*ck am I watching again?

Well, that didn't work on me.

zpoop
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby zpoop » Sun May 08, 2011 12:02 am

Screw all this beer talk. I only drink vodka.

Alone...

In the dark...

But at least I have Eva to keep me company!

PhoenixInShadow
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby PhoenixInShadow » Fri May 13, 2011 5:05 pm

Yes, during EOE. It was somehow 100 times better, which I didn't think was possible.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Sat May 14, 2011 3:57 pm

i'm not sure I would watch EVA intoxicated

i'm just fine watching it sober

though this thread reminds me I need to get some booze for my viewing of TNA Sacrifice
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Thu May 19, 2011 4:10 am

I'm taking acid this weekend. Debating with myself how prudent it Would be to have EoE playing in the background while I listen to endless Beach Boys albums.
fnord

---
Ever.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu May 19, 2011 4:14 am

if you do acid you're one stupid motherfucker

juaxoo
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby juaxoo » Thu May 19, 2011 8:22 am

not one stupid motherfucker, THE stupid motherfucker

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Thu May 19, 2011 8:30 pm

Try not to do yourself any serious harm this weekend SenorSquiid.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Fri May 20, 2011 4:36 am

I once watched it all the way through drinking Yebisu, because I figured that's what Misato would have wanted.

--C.

"There's only music, so that there's new ringtones."
—Arctic Monkeys, "A Certain Romance"

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Fri May 20, 2011 4:48 am

^ Good choice. Yebisu is a good beer (better compared to other Japanese beer not from a microbrewery like Asahi Dry or Kirin Draft). Misato (Anno?) surely got good taste.

:misato_service:
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Fri May 20, 2011 5:08 am

Fortunately, the grocery in Japantown carried Yebisu. The Japanese beers in most U.S. supermarkets are light and clean, but very standardized (I love Sapporo's classic can design, but the can is more exciting than the beer ^_^) What's that Japanese microbrew that uses the red owl on its label?

While I haven't had good luck yet with Japanese blended whiskies (Ian Fleming himself said Japanese whisky was good, so it must be out there), Suntory Yamazaki 18 year-old is very good. I toasted 2.0 with it.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Fri May 20, 2011 5:55 am

View Original PostCarl Horn wrote:What's that Japanese microbrew that uses the red owl on its label?

You asked the right person. When I lived in Japan, I sampled a lot of their craft beer. I believe you are talking about the Hitachino Nest Beer from Kiuchi Brewery. Check:
http://www.kodawari.cc/?en_home/products/hitachino-nest-beer.html

View Original PostCarl Horn wrote:While I haven't had good luck yet with Japanese blended whiskies (Ian Fleming himself said Japanese whisky was good, so it must be out there), Suntory Yamazaki 18 year-old is very good. I toasted 2.0 with it.

Japanese whisky is SUPERB!!! I have sampled their Yamazaki, Hakushu, Yoichi and blends like Hibiki, Taketsuru, Super Nikka, Fujisan-roku etc. All very fine indeed, but Yoichi and Yamazaki impressed me the most. You picked the right one to start your Japanese whisky journey!!
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Fri May 27, 2011 1:35 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:if you do acid you're one stupid motherfucker

Pish posh. There's nothing to fear if you treat things responsibly and with a little forethought.

But anywho, decided against End of Eva cause I was flying on on unconditional love and the overwhelming beauty of everything around me and EoE wouldn't have fit in with my mood. Did watch a little FLCL during the come down and that was pretty great though.
fnord

---
Ever.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri May 27, 2011 1:38 pm

View Original PostSenorSquiid wrote:Pish posh. There's nothing to fear if you treat things responsibly and with a little forethought.

Coming from you doesn't help the case for acid at all :P

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Fri May 27, 2011 1:43 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:if you do acid you're one stupid motherfucker

I wholeheartedly agree with this, but there is an exception to this "rule": Hunter S. Thompson.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”