ITT: We discuss rewatching NGE.

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

psychosis090
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby psychosis090 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:35 am

View Original PostXard wrote:oh my, thank you so much :hohum:

obviously I was confused about meaning of word instead of how word could possibly describe eva

Well, I mean come on. It can go a bit overboard at times. 'Specially if you watch it in English.
You think ignorance is cute? Well, I suppose you think mental retardation is downright adorable! - Ed Wuncler, Sr.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:12 pm

View Original Postpsychosis090 wrote:Specially if you watch it in English.
Well, there's your problem.[/Jamie Hyneman]
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:36 pm

Note in this picture:

That people are closer that are closer to him in the circle are people like Kaji, Misato, Rei, Asuka, and other people that he held close, while people that are farther away like Ritsuko, Hyuga, and Kozoman are on the rim. Perhaps this could mean that the people he held close are closer to him in the circle, as people farther way are people he didn't care that much for? The only exceptions to this would be with Gendo, but that's because she is with Yui, and Toji being so far, but that's because he is with Hikari (in other words, relationships are in affect, with the maternal side being dominant). But the only problem with this idea is with Maya being close, and Caleb (forgot his name) being so far. Just wanted to point that out.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:14 pm

^When was Maya ever close to him?

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:22 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:^When was Maya ever close to him?

Hey, she IS his big sister after all! [/crazy EVA theory mode]

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:11 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:^When was Maya ever close to him?

Exactly. This is one of the only problems with this theory.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:14 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:Exactly. This is one of the only problems with this theory.

Hyuga is closer to him than Toji.

Gendo is closer to him than Toji.

Kensuke is also inexplicably distant, now apparently equivalent to Aoba on the Shinji relationship scale.

I don't think your theory really works...

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:03 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:Exactly. This is one of the only problems with this theory.
(:| Like Essel pointed out, there are a lot of problems with your theory. Going by proximity alone, Rei, Misato, Maya, and Kaji are all closer to the kid than Asuka is; his best male friends are as close to him as the bridge techs, Fuyutsuki, Ritsuko, and dear old Dad; and given the considerable distance between people such as Hikari & Toji and Misato & Kaji, I can't agree that "relationships are in effect" (staff could have drawn them like Gendo & Yui: next to each other).

I don't really see where you're going with this.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun May 01, 2011 8:01 pm

It might not work, but it is something to think about. This could have been done so people wouldn't suspect otherwise (but.. that would be too perfect a situation). To play devil's advocate:

@Essel: Hyuga, I can't answer for, but Gendo is closer to him because Yui is close to him. I think it is done by relationships (which is why Misato is near Kaji, Toji near Hikari, etc.), being lead by the maternal (female) side. Therefore, if he didn't hold the girl/woman close to him, the boy/man wouldn't be close either (and vice versa). And with Kensuke, he actually is closer to Shinji then Aoba (it is visibly distinguishable).

@Merridian: Well, of course they are closer to him then Asuka. I may be blind, but I don't exactly see when Asuka showed... affection(?) for Shinji. She has been polite (the cello scene), but I'm not sure affection would be it. While, on the other hand, Misato has shown motherly affection, Kaji has shown affection in a more, older friend type of way. And Rei.. Rei is difficult because what she and we consider affection is different. Rei.. thanked him. That doesn't sound like much, but that's a big leap for her. And I think at some point, Rei and Toji meet on top of the school, in which Toji figures out that Rei has a crush on Shinji (I'm not sure it is in the Manga, or in the Anime). And about the bridge bunnies being as far as his best friends, I think I could estimate that the bunnies had about as much screen time as the best friends (or, the more likely possibility, the buddies had far more). Not saying that his best friends are not that much of friends, its just that he could established a just as good relationship with the bridge bunnies as well, only reason that you don't see them together often is that Shinji is at school, and they are at work. But even then, you could develop a good relationship with someone you don't meet often, if ever (the internet). I understand that the bridge bunnies would have been together, but I think, since this is mostly from Shinji's perspective, the only argument I have is that this is strictly the relationships between the character and Shinji, and the relationships Shinji sees between the characters but, we don't know if Shinji knew that the bridge bunnies secretly wanted to have a threesome.
The Moats of Quotes

MaskedOmega
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MaskedOmega » Sun May 01, 2011 9:02 pm

And even Kaji is closer than Asuka is. I like the idea of your theory except it just does not work.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”