The headcanon thread

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:55 pm

^Love all of it. At some point I imagined Asuka going to Heidelberg as well. I don't know why, but her father being a Colonel just fits.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

Ash1969
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ash1969 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:13 pm

View Original PostGlor wrote:^Love all of it. At some point I imagined Asuka going to Heidelberg as well. I don't know why, but her father being a Colonel just fits.

Thanks, I always thought Asuka was a [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_brat[/url].
No my name is not a sex joke

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:31 pm

Point of clarification: Yui Ikari and Kyoko Soryu almost certainly had doctorates in metaphysical biology. There's no way they could design and build the Evas otherwise.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ash1969
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ash1969 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:05 pm

I thought in Episode 21 they said Yui was a bioengineering student?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:08 pm

Maybe a post-grad writing up, then.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:19 pm

Yeah, doctoral students often do fellowships and lots of other post-doc work for a few years after they get their degrees. There's just no way those ladies could do what they did in the setting with naught but a Master's degree; they, along with Fuyutsuki, are the established masters of the field. And, going by their ages, they certainly had enough time to complete a doctoral degree.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:29 pm

View Original PostAsh1969 wrote:I thought in Episode 21 they said Yui was a bioengineering student?

Episode 21 covered quite a few years. Pre-Second Impact she was a student under Fuyutsuki, but by the time of Gehirn's formation and her absorption into Unit-01 it was already 2004. Plenty of time there to finish up a degree, depending on how far along she already was when introduced as a student.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

SEELE
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:46 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:Episode 21 covered quite a few years. Pre-Second Impact she was a student under Fuyutsuki, but by the time of Gehirn's formation and her absorption into Unit-01 it was already 2004. Plenty of time there to finish up a degree, depending on how far along she already was when introduced as a student.

Yup, my management m. degree was the same thing in the past years. But by the time Yui and Fuyutsuki meet she was already thinking about marriage. So it is save to assume that it is either Pre-Second Impact (1998) to Post-Second Impact (around 2002/3). I don't remember who long i took for the master because i had a dual appranticeship. I was both a trainee and a student. So it is safe to assume that she was much faster than i was. I dealt with 6/7 semester in my last year of the appranticeship.

View Original PostAsh1969 wrote:Since no one seemed to mind either way about it, here's my headcanon:

SPOILER: Show

Kiel Lorenz
Alma Mater: Yale University
A Bachelor of Divinity and a PhD in Economics
Born August 8 1922 Hamburg, Germany

Gendo Ikari (Born Rokubungi)
Alma Mater: Kyoto University
A Doctorate in Engineering
Born April 29 1967

Yui Ikari
Alma Mater: Kyoto University
A Master’s in Bioengineering
Born March 30 1977
Died November 2 2004

Ryoji Kaji
Alma Mater: The 2nd University of Tokyo
A Master's in Sociology
Born June 17 1985

I highly doubt that Kaji is the sociology-type of guy. And please remember that Ritsuko and Misato were close to each other. Wouldn't suprise me if (when they were freshmens) had some courses together. So i highly doubt that Misato has this education but rather something similiar to Kaji and Ritsuko - she must have go for the Civil Service or something like that or military education. Kaji to me seemed the kind of guy who works like Gendo. He pragmatic so he must have learned something that would bring him into the higher spheres of the Goverment. And then it doesn't matter, because he was a tripple agent. So i assume he studied something like History or History related. Because his journal suggested that he is interested in the past. Wouldn't supprise me if he had a Master in History or something like that (Psychology or something Art-like). But he doesn't seem this sociology guy to me. It could also be that Kaji is Master in Natural Resources and Applied Life Science.

But i like your Gendo - to me he always seemed to be the smarter guy. Especially because he is rather pessmistic (train-scene where he talks about Rei's name with Yui). Is the Tokio University the 'Todai' we all know about? Because this undermines the assumption about Kaji.
And Keel seems to be right with the education in Divinity. But it could be possible he had something like political science or natural science.
Only Asuka seems out of place because this is based on 'Magma Diver'. I assume that she has a degree in humanities.
Shinji for example seems to go for a performance arts or something like that. Because he is rather skilled with the Cello for his age.
"Shinji repeatedly rises to the occasion, overcomes his own doubts and fears and puts others ahead of himself to the point of self harm. The situation overwhelms him. Victory does not define a hero. Intent does. He breaks at the end, but after inhuman, overwhelming, borderline comedic suffering." - Chuckman talking about Shinji as a hero
Final Fantasy 7 gets a remake. I hope it doesn't goes the same way NTE did.
Plus I kinda want to be done with this franchise for a while and concentrate on other things in life. - Guy Nacks

Ash1969
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ash1969 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:13 am

I agree with you guys that Yui and Kyoko probably had doctoral degrees.

View Original PostSEELE wrote:please remember that Ritsuko and Misato were close to each other. Wouldn't suprise me if (when they were freshmens) had some courses together. So i highly doubt that Misato has this education but rather something similiar to Kaji and Ritsuko - she must have go for the Civil Service or something like that or military education.

Ever head of the [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Corps_of_Engineers[/url]?

View Original PostSEELE wrote:i assume he studied something like History or History related. Because his journal suggested that he is interested in the past.

What's this journal you're talking about? I don't remember anything about that.

SEELE
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:28 am

View Original PostAsh1969 wrote:I agree with you guys that Yui and Kyoko probably had doctoral degrees.
Ever head of the [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Corps_of_Engineers[/url]?
What's this journal you're talking about? I don't remember anything about that.

2015: The Last Year of Ryohji Kaji is an Evangelion book that was released in June 1997. It was designed to be Kaji's journal that he kept throughout the Evangelion series, containing his thoughts and motives behind many of his actions.

http://wiki.evageeks.org/2015:_The_Last_Year_of_Ryohji_Kaji

It feels like Kaji is a historian or something related. He certainly has artisan tendencies which also applies to psychology in some range. He just don't seem to be a sociology-guy. It must be something practical. My bet - Master in Natural Resources and Applied Life Science and some courses that push his desire to know the 'truth'.

I read your link. It applies to engineering and i think Misato is more the management-type. Which is ironically not her strongest feature. She has a lot of Kaji and her Father for digging up the dirt. My bet is military service like from the Proposal of Evangelion. She wears a uniform - so something like that. I know - but i highly doubt that she was remotly close to engineering. It is more believable for Asuka to have a degree in Physics which i don't believe either. Asuka seems to be into sociology because she sees through certain social conventions and so on. This is what i think. And either way a degree doesn't say anything (haha, tells the one that has a master :hahaha: )
"Shinji repeatedly rises to the occasion, overcomes his own doubts and fears and puts others ahead of himself to the point of self harm. The situation overwhelms him. Victory does not define a hero. Intent does. He breaks at the end, but after inhuman, overwhelming, borderline comedic suffering." - Chuckman talking about Shinji as a hero
Plus I kinda want to be done with this franchise for a while and concentrate on other things in life. - Guy Nacks

Ash1969
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ash1969 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:46 am

Well let's agree to disagree. This is all just speculation at best, anyway.

SEELE
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:52 am

View Original PostAsh1969 wrote:Well let's agree to disagree. This is all just speculation at best, anyway.

Okay. May i ask why? Because i don't see the speculation other than my reasoning for the certain degrees. Everything else is evidential (and my reasoning, which is speculation). But what am i pointing at in the head-canon thread. :lol:

Ash1969
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ash1969 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:58 am

It's speculation because none of it can be proved (that goes for both of us).

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:01 am

If Kaji had an advanced degree, I'd expect it to be in something like political science rather than history or sociology. I mean, all are appropriate, but the guy knows how politics works.

SEELE
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:03 am

View Original PostAsh1969 wrote:It's speculation because none of it can be proved (that goes for both of us).

Yeah i got that on the first turn. What specifically now? Misato is speculation that the Proposal applies to NGE/NTE in any sense. Asuka is purely based on a speculation from 'Magma Diver' from your side. Kaji is evidential because of his journal but it is the determination that is speculative. Everything else is clarified. Especially because Sociology has nothing to do with this Arc - nutruing and watering the plants (and Shinji). ;)

View Original PostBagheera wrote:If Kaji had an advanced degree, I'd expect it to be in something like political science rather than history or sociology. I mean, all are appropriate, but the guy knows how politics works.

You got me. Never thought about it. :facepalm:
Shame on me - political science.
Maybe some courses in Philosophy because he is like Kaworu pretty philosophical.

Ash1969
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ash1969 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:06 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:If Kaji had an advanced degree, I'd expect it to be in something like political science rather than history or sociology. I mean, all are appropriate, but the guy knows how politics works.
[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_sociology[/url]

SEELE
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:18 am

View Original PostAsh1969 wrote:[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_sociology[/url]

Political-sociology (and/or Political Science) and Sociology has some much to do as an electric chair and a normal chair.
Same goes for other stuff. It is on the spectrum of socio-scientific work. Political science is something Bagheera mentioned - which applies in the sense of his character arc. What you mentioned is something that views political-movements and try to understand the interaction in politic outside the executive. There is a fundamental difference. But please read the article first. :tongue:
Political science and Political sociology are different things.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_sociology
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_science
It is like with gender studies, biology and other similiar scientific degrees. Sounds alike but are completly different. Especially because socio-biological studies are fundamental different from evolutionary-psychological studies.
But yes i have to give up ground both have something to do with Anthropology and draws upon the fields of sociology. :rolleyes:
Last edited by SEELE on Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ash1969
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ash1969 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:34 am

My apologies, you guys know more about this sort of thing than me.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:46 am

^

Never apologize for learning new knowledge!
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:45 am

The hospital scene was the first and last time Shinji actually jerked off.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”