Evangelion 4.0, do you really want an alternate ending?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:27 pm

The ending? Neither I want it to be like the other two endings, nor I want to have it made saccharine (like a cliched happy ending); it should be resolute, acceptable for all while retaining the philosophy of the original TV series with a bit less of the hopelessness presented in EoE.

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:46 am

View Original PostSeph wrote:I thought Gurren Lagann felt pretty ended :-s

As for the lack of proper endings in anything else Gainax does, I think it has a lot less to do with them being super-savvy postmodernist auteurs, and more to do with the fact that they are otaku man-children who have never finished anything in their lives except for gurren lagann.

There fix'd. Happy?

trkk-KAAN
Lilith

How should the final Rebuild of Evangelion movie end?

•      
  •      

Postby trkk-KAAN » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:48 am

How should it end? Not like EoE or The show. Post in your ideas.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:53 am

It should end on a cliffhanger.

Just for the laughs.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:32 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:It should end on a cliffhanger.

Just for the laughs.

because of this I just had the idea that what if the story goes to some sort of ending only to have Shinji wake up in the hospital, and him realizing that it was just a dream he had while he was unconscious from Ramiel's attack in 1.11.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:44 pm

It should end with Gendo writing on a computer revealing it was just some fanfiction he came up with.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:57 pm

The fact that the sea starts off red suggests that they don't intend to end the world, but rather to restore it. In other words, I expect to be disappointed.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily opposed to a happy ending, I just don't like the thought of everything turning back to normal.

View Original PostSun Stealer wrote:As for the lack of proper endings in anything else Gainax does, I think it has a lot less to do with them being super-savvy postmodernist auteurs, and more to do with the fact that they are otaku man-children who have never finished anything in their lives except for gurren lagann.

There fix'd. Happy?

I haven't seen all of their work, but as far as I know only Kare Kano lacked a proper ending.

trkk-KAAN
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby trkk-KAAN » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:32 pm

it should end like Cowboy Bebop, here is my idea,

Something cool just popped in my head, this is how the final rebuild movie should end, it should end Shinji having the final battle with the angels and then after the angels are gone, Shinji is injured, there is blood coming out of his eyes, still in his plugsuit, he startes flashing back the memories he had and then he leaves the NERV headquaters with the NERV staff and his classmates or the bad guys stopping to look at him, he stops going down the stairs and then he makes a pistol with his injured arm and then "Bang" and then collapses, Just like the Final Episode of Cowboy bebop, this is how the movie should end, make a reference to a really good anime, Cowboy Bebop, what do u think?, i'f you dont like it, that's ok. im trying not to plagirize CB.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:08 pm

Instrumentality is going to occur or maybe 4th impact, judging by the presence of quantum Rei, but it won't be as apocalyptic as EOE.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:59 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:maybe 4th impact

Third Impact technically hasn't happened yet. The event at the end of 2.0 gets branded "Near Third Impact".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:03 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Third Impact technically hasn't happened yet. The event at the end of 2.0 gets branded "Near Third Impact".

To add to that, considering after the credits how U-01 got a spear to the chest, I think what could've been third-impact would've been halted. Also, during the preview, we still see U-01 pierced, which suggests that third impact was halted. Although, the previews are most likely not reliable (as seen with comparisons with 1.01 and 2.22), it is most likely not going to be fourth-impact next time around.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:20 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:To add to that, considering after the credits how U-01 got a spear to the chest, I think what could've been third-impact would've been halted. Also, during the preview, we still see U-01 pierced, which suggests that third impact was halted. Although, the previews are most likely not reliable (as seen with comparisons with 1.01 and 2.22), it is most likely not going to be fourth-impact next time around.

Sorry, just refer to it as third impact. I'll change it to 'near third impact', but it was definitely stopped because we literally see Unit-01 getting speared stopping the world from breaking,followed by Kaworu saying he'll make Shinji happy(That wasn't apart of the Next time preview).

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:30 pm

I want it to have at least seven different endings like in Clue, and I want them all to be simultaneously canonical and contradictory.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:58 pm

Stryker: Well, yeah. "Near Third Impact" as in "close, but no [s]cigar[/s] apocalypse".

The only point I was making is that, since Third Impact proper hasn't actually happened, any successful Impact event that might occur in one of the next films would probably be called "Third" and not "Fourth".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:41 am

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:It should end with Gendo writing on a computer revealing it was just some fanfiction he came up with.

So, you want the series finale of Roseanne?

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:17 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Stryker: Well, yeah. "Near Third Impact" as in "close, but no [s]cigar[/s] apocalypse".

The only point I was making is that, since Third Impact proper hasn't actually happened, any successful Impact event that might occur in one of the next films would probably be called "Third" and not "Fourth".

Impact 2.22?

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:09 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:Instrumentality is going to occur or maybe 4th impact, judging by the presence of quantum Rei, but it won't be as apocalyptic as EOE.

I'm still holding out that the many Reis is kinda a hark back to that scene with loads of Reis in a line in NGE, and it's her psychological musings.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:42 pm

yes I really want an alternate ending, something like the whole sequence of events were all a hallucination brought on by head trauma Shinji suffered.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:49 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Stryker: Well, yeah. "Near Third Impact" as in "close, but no [s]cigar[/s] apocalypse".

Knowing Anno he'll call it Fourth just to fuck with people about sequel theory.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:00 pm

View Original Postliquidus118 wrote:Knowing Anno he'll call it Fourth just to fuck with people about sequel theory.

If he wanted to do that, he would've called Second Impact "Fourth".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”