Shin Eva - Official Social Media

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Shin Eva - Official Social Media

Postby Blockio » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:01 pm

Hype indeed
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:58 pm

Hopefully it's not just Unit 08. :sweatdrop:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

ArtyumR
Adam

Postby ArtyumR » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:30 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:^ Thats a uniquely pessimistic stance on the series. Usually detractors opine either “It’s different, I hate it,” or are “It’s depressing, I hate it.” This is the first time since the release of 1.11 that I’m hearing “It’s the same, I’ll be disappointed.”

I very much disagree with your assessment, actually. Just on an interpersonal level, Shinji is in a very different spot in Q than his development had him in either EoE or the events leading up to it. He’s aware of the actual inner workings of Impact and the lengths he can go to actively change the world. (For better or for worse is still the struggle.) Also, Eva Q kinda already did much of EoE’s Third Impact imagery. Watching a fully realized Impact occur in Shin Eva just as it had in EoE would simply be redundant on Eva Q, say nothing of its relation to NGE.

I apologize for not answering immediately.
You see, I personally appreciate when a work tries to distance itself and be different.
I take as an example things like gundam (or any work of tomino before 2008), the works of katsuhiro otomo, Nobuyoshi Habara, Izubuchi Yutaka and others.Izubuchi was in charge of directing uchuu senkan yamato 2199, the remake of uchuu senkan yamato had a clear intention to distance himself from the narrative arc of his counterpart.on a level where there is no character focal point.
almost all members of the crew (characters) have an arc of development or background. even the main antagonist has completely different motives.

in the original, he is a tragic hero.able to do whatever it takes to save his world (literally).In 2199, he does so for a completely selfish and twisted motive. that makes the whole series interesting. Izubuchi made "his own version of the myth".

Another example would be Gundam.the original series is "realistic" in regard to the consequences of the warbut it ends with a positive and hopeful message "people can get to understand each other, the efforts that are made, their desires and ideals are not vain words"

and then we have Zeta gundam.the thought of the previous series is naive.the "hero" of history will not manage to be admired or be the hope of the closest people, in fact it becomes depressing. you get to show the war as something vain and useless.the end of the series becomes hopeless.

the same with any Gundam series, the environment may be the same but its theme or development becomes "different".

Gundam 0080, the end of childhood and ingenuity.
Gundam 0083, love triangle, corruption etc.
char's counterattack
Gundam MS Team etc etc etc.

I can mention the same of Ghost in the shell each iteration is different.
GITS 1995, is philosophical, about the human condition.
GITS S.A.C is sociological and political.
GITS Arise (it's not my favorite) becomes a political drama.

I'm not saying that Evangelion has to change his message.but it can change personal interactions, their motivations, their egos.
all "rebuild" seems an eternal return.where any change is restored by the next "change". "Rebuild" has only changed the "external", the "superficial". (change the world, but not the characters)
I do not want to expand, or explain why I think so but you just have to see Shinji. There are multiple answers or actions which he could take.
but he is "castrated", he can behave apathetic instead of "catatonic", frustrated, hopeless or disinterested instead of simply active-passive

Rei also shows the same.
At this point it does not matter what happened in the previous two films, she is not Rei, she is another person but still has the same context and motivations as a previous iteration (NGE) that dissonance.(in addition to making the previous Character Arc completely useless and pointless)

I can not talk about Asuka and Mari, because I do not know what changes Anno wants to make with these two characters.
but they seem to be minor changes to the "retcon"
I know I can sound "disappointed" but I really like rebuild.only that after a while wait (six or seven years are a short time) it can get to reduce your soul

and sometimes I think
Was it really necessary to make these films?
Is there any reason, other than to exploit the desire of the fans?

It really matters little.the effects and consequences have already been shown, "evangelion" is already a purely commercial franchise for a while.
and not in the right way (if there is one)

It's not like the PERSONA franchise.or Gundam, GITS, or any other.
Last edited by ArtyumR on Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:36 pm

in addition to making the previous Character Arc completely useless and pointless

I'm very sure Rei II will be very important in the last film.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

ArtyumR
Adam

Postby ArtyumR » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:45 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I'm very sure Rei II will be very important in the last film.

Yes, also notice that.
but I have no idea if it's not just cynicism on Anno's part.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:18 pm

You want some pretty picture?

TOO BAD

YOU GET KANJI SPAM

http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-5591.html
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:26 pm

What does that mean?

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:19 pm

^Part I in 2020, part II in 2021, & part 3 in 2022 perhaps?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:51 pm

My bois and gals, this is a puzzle, a test.
Or it just means the wait could go on till 2021 or 2022.
I dunno.
Those are some pretty kanji.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:35 am

2018 ~ 2020・21・22

場 在

Good, no idea of what that means.

EDIT: I've been told on Facebook that it it an expression meaning that he's extremely focused on something he's doing.

Maybe 2020 is 3.0+1.0
2021 is 3.33+1.11
2022 Director's Cut of 1.11/2.22/3.33 (I really want the at least the right preview at the end of the movie)

I presume it's Eva releated and Shin Eva is coming out in theaters in 2020, so there's the question of what will happen in 2021 and 2022.

View Original Postcyharding wrote:^Part I in 2020, part II in 2021, & part 3 in 2022 perhaps?

I hope not because we know how what happen to Anno's schedules...

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:45 am

I really didn't expect something like this.
Unless Rebuild truly has three movies left, which I doubt (but is possible I guess?) maybe those are the dates for new big khara projects. Maybe a new Evangelion show/film is already being planned made by other directors, planned to come out one of those years. Maybe it's a complerely new thing. Who knows

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:55 am

https://jisho.org/word/%E5%B8%B8%E5%9C% ... 6%E5%A0%B4

じょうざいせんじょう
常在戦場
shōzaisenjō

Noun
1. always conducting oneself as though one were on a battlefield; being combat ready at all times (of a person)

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:10 am

I could see this as "I plan to be extremely focused until 2020/21/or 22, abd will take a pause after that.
Keep in mind after the last film Anno wanted to release the CRCs for both last Eva films. So there is some Eva related stuff he wants to do still.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:58 am

Minna no Eva updated its article, but the content is basically "who knows".

Also there's a dot over the 20 in 2020

I also checked previous lanterns and back in 2014 Anno drew "Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 etc. 無在原点", the following month it was announced that 3.0+1.0 was the title of the final movie. Should we expect something in the next months?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:38 am

I have never been so excited over numeric nonesense.

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby CommanderFish » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:15 pm

This is some real Anno shit right here :lol:
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:52 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I have never been so excited over numeric nonesense.

That sums up my experience with the Rebuild in general.

Anno's lanter was removed for a few hours because of some damages and what was left was either an Evangelion reference or Anno's tombstone :lol:

one-eyed
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby one-eyed » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:35 pm

I was already skeptical about Anno doing the fourth film, I thought it would be like the film about Napoleon's life that Stanley Kubrick could never do even though the director eagerly wants it. Now, with these strange and variables dates for a seemingly variable and capricious future, it makes me even more skeptical. I do not know what Anno is planning and frankly I do not even know if I want to know. Anno's head is a place I never want to visit.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby SEELE-01 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:54 pm

View Original Postone-eyed wrote:Anno's head is a place I never want to visit.

I have a glimpse of that:
:shinchair:
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:36 pm

I also checked previous lanterns and back in 2014 Anno drew "Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 etc. 無在原点", the following month it was announced that 3.0+1.0 was the title of the final movie. Should we expect something in the next months?

Evangelion:2020.21.22 sounds like a great new title.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”