Shin Eva - Official Social Media

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Evangelion Official Social Media - Biding Time to Shin Eva

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu May 24, 2018 4:09 pm

Thanks for that rundown.
While I was there for part of the 3.0 marketing (2012), my memories are vague as to the distance in time between things.
What's really funny to me now is that back then a friend and I said we'd wait until all the films were out to watch them lol. 3.0 was way too interesting to me to go through with that. Also I disvovered the communal experience is very fun.

Yeah, the trailers so far are awesome, they are tone pieces more than anything and imo trailers done right.

EDIT: Yeah I remember the "full trailer" as well (EDIT2: shitty wording, sounds as if I'd watched it years ago, it's probably the traiker I've watched most times ever, because of how well done it is and because of Sakura Nagashi), and the intense feeling of WTF when commercials with the new designs came out.
God avoiding spoilers for tge current film will be a challenge.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Thu May 24, 2018 4:37 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Not sure how actual marketing for Final will go. Each film has approached marketing the film differently with the only uniform factor between the previous three being that films themselves were relatively unspoiled. Khara has control over their marketing team so they don't pull crap like "Here's the entire story in chronological order". It helps that Khara favors marketing that is pure imagery. The Rebuild trailers are all simply a collage of images set to a killer track from Shiro Sagisu without any snippets of dialogue to give an idea of story.

I remember the TV spots for 3.0. At least a couple of them had money shots of Unit 13 but the way it was edited, you couldn't really tell it wasn't Unit 01 unless you had a really keen eye or freeze-framed it. :lol:

It's interesting that we already have New Unit 02's design from last year's lantern festival. Unit 02' first showed up in 2011's but the mechanical part of the head wasn't included. Then Unit 08 showed up in 2012, just a couple months before release. I think that's a good sign too.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu May 24, 2018 5:14 pm

Something else I wanted to ask and always forget.
When did merchandising start to come out? Like toys of the new Evas.
Was any if that prerealease?
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu May 24, 2018 6:21 pm

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure toys, figurines & statuettes have all been post theatrical release by at least two months. Could be longer. I don't collect too many figures now.
Again, Khara is on top of preventing spoilers and last thing they need is "Action Figure reveals new Evangelion/Character/Angel/etc". They don't pull a Star Wars where the pre-release merchandise spoils everything.* Unlike contemporary big-budget Hollywood cinema where EVERYTHING is about the lead up to the release and once the film has had it's opening weekend grosses all focus turns to the next movie - Half of the financial success of Marvel right now is the movie you're in the theater watching is also selling you the next two or three upcoming movies in the universe while telling you a "story" - Khara knows the fanbase will engage with the films long after release.

(For the prime example of Hollywood merchandise vs. telling a story logic: the Novelizations of the three Star Wars Prequels all hit bookshelves well over a month before the movies were released in theaters. This was after the production crew did everything in their power to keep the majority of the story underwraps.

**I can also only imagine that if Eva 3.0 had been made & marketed by a US studio the 14 time-gap would be the very first thing everyone would be aware of.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Thu May 24, 2018 7:01 pm

^ Funimation did exactly that in their marketing for the dub's home video release. Some of their promo pieces for the movie mentioned the timeskip outright. The movie was 3 years old when it finally landed over here but I feel like the statute of limitations still applies to spoilers for something that wasn't widely available to a western audience through legal channels.

kuribo-04 wrote:Something else I wanted to ask and always forget.
When did merchandising start to come out? Like toys of the new Evas.
Was any if that prerealease?

It depends. 2.0 had revoltech figures of Units 1, 2 and 5 release in June, a couple months ahead of the movie's release in September, but Unit 02's new design and Unit 05 had both been revealed in promotional material for the movie and the 1.0 next time preview. Unit 05's movie accurate colors and the awakened Unit 01 came out the month after the movie. I don't think the Mark.06 got one until some time in 2011. Likewise, I don't believe Mark.09 or Unit 13 got anything until after the movie. Unit 13 did appear in some of the trailers (mentioned above), but khara didn't advertise what it really was except in the theatrical artbook. It seems like the stuff they choose to reveal in advance is fair game for merchandise but anything that's not isn't advertised or released until a little while after. I actually have a little figure of that unfinished TV preview Eva 02' with the grey arm around here somewhere.

I recall the pre-movie merchandising for Q involving a lot of more "generic" stuff that didn't feature movie content. Like UCC ran a campaign for the movie under the Q branding with some special cans and figures featuring Mari, Asuka and Rei, but they were in their 2.0 designs.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Stan » Thu May 24, 2018 7:15 pm

I really like that new image of Unit 01 they posted on the official evangelion twitter :o

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Fri May 25, 2018 2:48 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:

Lewd! Saved to my Eva pics folder though for archival purposes :nyao:
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Fri May 25, 2018 3:06 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:^ Funimation did exactly that in their marketing for the dub's home video release. Some of their promo pieces for the movie mentioned the timeskip outright. The movie was 3 years old when it finally landed over here but I feel like the statute of limitations still applies to spoilers for something that wasn't widely available to a western audience through legal channels.

The theatrical trailer for 3.0 here in Italy included:

- Kaworu explaining what Instrumentality is
- Moneyshot of the Moon
- Yui and the contact experiment
- Shinji saying "so it's true that 14 years have passed"
- Misato explaining what Wille is
- Lots of cool shots

Basically it spoiler the whole movie.

It was also my first exposure to Eva back in the day, I didn't pay a lot of attention to it and I didn't watch the series until 4 years later, but I still remember this trailer.

Returning to marketing scheme: my feelings tell me that Anno will reveal the international subtitle of the movie at the lanter festival in early August. :tongue:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri May 25, 2018 3:44 am

The thread is feeling a bit aimless, to the point I'm getting itchy to close it and start off fresh. Some guidelines:

- We're in the subforum for the FINAL movie. This should be for social media posts that have SOMETHING to do with the upcoming movie. Being Eva-related is not the same thing as being Shin Eva-related.
- The "biding time" subtitle I added for lulz was not an invitation to introduce tangents (questions and specution about marketing, timing of release, etc.) that have nothing to do with the content of the social media post. I've renamed the thread again in the hope of once more clarifying its purpose.

If these basics can't be followed, we're going to go back to the super not-fun and uncool way of doing things where everything got locked the moment there was no longer anything new to talk about and the same old baseless speculation was being regurgitated out of boredom. Don't say I didn't warn ya! I've even made this post all ugly and bold and red so it's pretty damn hard to miss and none of you have any excuses if you post a response that ignores everything I've said. (Please don't do that, guys.)

A general version of this thread could be created in Everything Else to accommodate much of the content that had found itself getting unceremoniously dumped here.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Shin Eva - Official Social Media

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon May 28, 2018 3:32 am

Those are storyboards for this film folks:
https://twitter.com/khara_inc2/status/1001016253975162880
Editing work apparently.

DrthRvn
Embryo

Postby DrthRvn » Mon May 28, 2018 3:32 am

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:18 am

From the tweets that came afterward, I think I got (from the really bad literal translation) that the twitter admin was informing people that the storyboard gets used in the whole process, especially with Eva, and that this does mot mean they are just beginning.
Maybe what they said was something else though.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon May 28, 2018 12:00 pm

Super loose translations ahead:

If I'm reading Khara2's Twitter thread right, the 3rd tweet is saying there's no footage to show yet because this is such a long step by step production. (Funny enough, the 2nd tweet in the thread more or less parrots what Anno said several years ago: "Work on the storyboards are constantly being revised until the last minute. Especially with Eva.")
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Mon May 28, 2018 1:37 pm

View Original PostDrthRvn wrote:

Men of culture at khara.

SPOILER: Show
@Reichu: this won't get you text all red and scary, right? :asuka_sad:

In this text

鶴巻さんと設定制作がシン・エヴァのシーン全体の◯◯◯◯について確認作業をしてる図

what is

◯◯◯◯

?

My only experience with that is in the Detective Conan fanbase. The author leave hints or comments every week in Animal Crossing for 3DS (example) and he uses "◯" when he wants to hide a hiragana/katakana. Is it used in the same way in this case? Google and Bing translate don't know what to do with them.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon May 28, 2018 4:41 pm

To me, the photo and captions indicate that Tsurumaki and a production associate are working on storyboarding an action sequence with a brand new Eva unit that they don't want anyone to know about yet, as the precise name has been censored.

My guess is that it's some upgraded form of Unit 01, since we've already been clued into the Unit 8+2 combo in the preview at the end of 3.0. Yui can't stay in the Wunder forever now, can she?

Also, general question: Does the scripting phase necessarily coincide with the storyboarding phase? Because Anno's had the script for final in various states of total completion for the past several years, since at least late 2014. One would have to imagine that some material from all of his drafts has been storyboarded in some way.

It seems to me like he's really struggling with finding a satisfying way to finally close the book on his version of the franchise.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon May 28, 2018 6:59 pm

Everyone’s process is a little different.
Can’t say for sure but from what I’ve gleamed from other tidbits of information other members have dropped on here throughout the years it seems Anno is pretty open to introducing new element/filling in the gaps in his films during production than say a Hayao Miyazaki. Seemingly on Miyazaki films it goes that he scripts the movie, then he personally storyboards every shot and then everyone else on the production sticks to those boards with little to no deviation. Once Miyazaki is done with the boards you can literally watch entire movie. The rest is just making those boards move.
Anno sounds more free from in that he’ll set the story and the tonal mood he wants the movie to achieve but leaves room for inspiration, experimentation and new elements to be added during the course of production. I would not be surprised if his scripts include things like “Big Action Scene here. Character A suffers defeat. Saved by Character B. To be planned out later.

I also imagine that while he may have had a full draft of Final in 2014, after experiencing Shin Godzilla he must took another crack at it and changed things greatly. If you rewrote the same story once every year you’d have a completely different manuscript from one year to the next.

Either way. Glad they’re so far in production!

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby SEELE-01 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:53 pm

View Original PostDrthRvn wrote:

Was half-expecting everyone here doing a CSI-like scene in the like of "close-up, close-up, enhance, turn around, enhance" on the page in the binder :lol:
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue May 29, 2018 10:09 pm

No point. The cheeky buggers blurred all the pages in that photo except for the note hanging off the shelf above the blue tote. They even blurred that page way in the back. :lol: https://imgur.com/GynTSsJ

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu May 31, 2018 10:57 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:In this text

鶴巻さんと設定制作がシン・エヴァのシーン全体の◯◯◯◯について確認作業をしてる図

what is

◯◯◯◯

?

Censoring placeholder. Think of it like "X month, X day" in video games.

Oh, the translation (apologies if any of this is backwards, another quick job):

"Photo confirming work of Tsurumaki-san's film creation (settei) concerning all of Shin Eva's ______ scenes." (Maybe "Shin Eva's scene's ____"? Uncertain.)

Don't know how often I'll be around these days, but I wanted to pop in and reply to this, at least :asuka_thumbsup:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:40 am

Yet some more nothing, apart from the "S" cut that I think has no deeper meaning.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”