Questions you want answers to

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:25 pm

I just want to know what happened during the time gap. I actually find it more interesting than what can potentially happen after 3.0.

Third impact is done, the world was destroyed, most of the human race already perished. Very anti-climatic.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:58 pm

Answers? Well. . . here's the thing. Answers don't always give you everlasting satisfaction. Sometimes you've got to brace yourself for at least a little bit of disappointment.

You've been through everything with these characters, the ups, the downs, the death and destruction, the disappointment, the love and hate, good and bad, and then at the end of it all. They explain everything in one exposition dump.

Would you be happy? Satisfied? Or would you be disappointed? Imagine what you'd think after the answers are given.

"That's it? That's what Gendo/Seele's master plan was? Really?"

Of course, that's not to say I don't think there wont be some answers. I've said before there is a difference between hiding answers for the sake of the mystery, and just being a massive troll. I'm expecting answers. But ALL the answers? Forget it, that's probably not Anno's intent.

skulkidcachi90
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby skulkidcachi90 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:53 am

What is the deal with Mari?

Why the frienship between Kaworu and Shinji feel so manipulative?

To Anno.

How could do you think than timeskip is a good Idea?

Do you think than is a Really good Idea?

Are you going to show us what happen in the time Skip?

Can at least you show us a little of the development than Asuka, Mari and Misato have between 2.0 and Q?

Why Q feel so incomplete?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:17 pm

^ To answer your questions .

1. Mari is a character. She exists in the world. End of story.

2. Kaworu & Shinji's relationship is manipulative because it's all about placing your faith in another person. Flawed way to live.

3. Timeskip is a good idea. Just cause you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad. The timeskip helped make the Rebuild franchise it's own thing after the first two movies which while I love them, often came off as simple pandering to the fans.

4. No idea what this question is.

5. Probably not. The only thing we need to cover from the time skip is Misato's emotional journey from caretaker to conflicted warlord who has to hide her emotions. Hearing some of Asuka's story would be good too. But everything else, how Wille came to be, what happened to the missing Evas & Angels is fluff. The series has never been about that stuff & as great as Anno is at world building that has never been his focus with Eva. Very little that happened in the 14 year time skip outside of what Misato & Asuka were experiencing emotionally is relevant to Shinji's story.

6. The development for those three characters is there. Misato more than the other two but it's subtle. And Eva has never been particularly subtle so I'm loving the new Misato. I'm pretty certain she'll have a huge sequence with Shinji in Final.

mechashiva
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby mechashiva » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:07 pm

Mostly I just want to know the answer to who Mari is. She's a loose end I really want to figure out, vis a vis her place in Rebuild movies.
"Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up."-Pablo Picasso

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:51 pm

^
The only question I would like to have answered in Final is THIS: "How much of the relationship between Misato and Asuka can Shinji salvage in Final?" I don't expect him to be fully forgiven, but at least harken back somewhat to their old mother/son dynamic.

I'm fine with whatever mindfuck thing happens in Final, I can take that. The only thing I need to know if that relationship, especially between Misato and Shinji, can be redeemed.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:55 pm

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:IF the relationship between Misato and Shinji, can be redeemed.

Literally the only thing I am hoping for to happen in the last film.
:pray:

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:08 pm

^ I'm 100% certain that will be one of the key dramatic throughout points in Final. In 3.0 Shinji is clearly most hurt by what he feels is Misato's rejection. Right before he pulls put the spears he loudly states pulling out the spears will fix everything & his proclamations intentionally ends with something along the lines of "Even Misato will..."

I hypothesize 3.0+1.0 dramatically will be a bit of a return to the emotional focus of 1.0 meaning the centerpiece of the film will be Shinji + Misato & Shinji + Rei. Aside from maybe one key dramatic scene here or there Asuka, Mari & the rest of the Eva cast will just be along for the ride.

skulkidcachi90
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby skulkidcachi90 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:56 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:^ To answer your questions .

1. Mari is a character. She exists in the world. End of story.

2. Kaworu & Shinji's relationship is manipulative because it's all about placing your faith in another person. Flawed way to live.

3. Timeskip is a good idea. Just cause you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad. The timeskip helped make the Rebuild franchise it's own thing after the first two movies which while I love them, often came off as simple pandering to the fans.

4. No idea what this question is.

5. Probably not. The only thing we need to cover from the time skip is Misato's emotional journey from caretaker to conflicted warlord who has to hide her emotions. Hearing some of Asuka's story would be good too. But everything else, how Wille came to be, what happened to the missing Evas & Angels is fluff. The series has never been about that stuff & as great as Anno is at world building that has never been his focus with Eva. Very little that happened in the 14 year time skip outside of what Misato & Asuka were experiencing emotionally is relevant to Shinji's story.

6. The development for those three characters is there. Misato more than the other two but it's subtle. And Eva has never been particularly subtle so I'm loving the new Misato. I'm pretty certain she'll have a huge sequence with Shinji in Final.

Yeah Sorry but I do not agree with you in anything , also good for you if you Enjoy Rebuild Series (I am kinda jealous for that). But Again thanks to you for the answers.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:54 am

View Original Postskulkidcachi90 wrote:also good for you if you Enjoy Rebuild Series
Should have gotten off Anno's wild ride at an earlier stop (that's what I did).

@topic
It would be a disappointment if the Rebuilds don't provide as much of an answer to "what the hell was really going on?" as the original did.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:15 am

I would like to know what's up with the coffins on moon.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:53 am

FoIs. We know nothing at all about them really. If they are people, why those and not the main cast? Why are some clustered around Lilith? What would they have become? What state are they really in now, and can their souls (presumably) be recovered? What about the sea of skulls (related to FoIs or not)?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:36 am

^
So in short, it boils down to wanting to know what the hell happened in that damned Chamber of Lilith 14 years ago! :lol:
And indeed, that seems to be the key for understanding nearly everything of this new world.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Dr. Talos
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Talos » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:59 pm

I'd rather like to get just a hint of what happened during the time skip. I mean a lot of stuff had to be going down in the last 14 bloody years and the almost complete end of the world probably churned out at least some interesting events. Not that I'll think we'll many, if any, answers though. It's kind of the perfect thing sprinkle a few hints about and leave open for years and years of speculation.

Also what happened to Kaji? I swear to god if they killed him off screen I'll, I'll.... be a bit disappointed probably.

skulkidcachi90
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby skulkidcachi90 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:43 am

View Original PostDr. Talos wrote:I'd rather like to get just a hint of what happened during the time skip. I mean a lot of stuff had to be going down in the last 14 bloody years and the almost complete end of the world probably churned out at least some interesting events. Not that I'll think we'll many, if any, answers though. It's kind of the perfect thing sprinkle a few hints about and leave open for years and years of speculation.

Also what happened to Kaji? I swear to god if they killed him off screen I'll, I'll.... be a bit disappointed probably.

To me that sound like a lame excuse to not tell us important things of the plot.
But its kinda obvious than Anno is not going to tell much about those 14 years.
Heck we even do not know if Anno himself knows what happen in those 14 years.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:15 am

If we are not told anything about the fourteen years, that will be because we are instead being told something even more interesting/.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Fredsq
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fredsq » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:16 pm

View Original Postskulkidcachi90 wrote:To me that sound like a lame excuse to not tell us important things of the plot.
But its kinda obvious than Anno is not going to tell much about those 14 years.
Heck we even do not know if Anno himself knows what happen in those 14 years.

Oh you faithless peasant! Anno’s got it all figured out I promise you. Thing is we’ve gotta dig deeper in that content we have, all the answers we need will be given.

Sometimes it’s best to leave some parts to our imagination. If we were shown what happened after EoE’s final shot, it would lower its quality significantly, wouldn’t it?

That said, the only things I really want to know is Mari’s past — She looks older indeed, look at this shot http://i.minus.com/ibp6y6eXAn0g0f.gif ,— and what the flying fuck are those coffins on the moon. Why are some of them already open?

And PLEASE I hope we never get a true answer to sequel theory. I really hope we are left in the dark regarding that <3

skulkidcachi90
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby skulkidcachi90 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:39 pm

Oh you faithless peasant! Anno’s got it all figured out I promise you. Thing is we’ve gotta dig deeper in that content we have, all the answers we need will be given.

Sometimes it’s best to leave some parts to our imagination. If we were shown what happened after EoE’s final shot, it would lower its quality significantly, wouldn’t it?

I really not have any kind of hope of Anno Making a good job answering crucial points on the Plot of the Rebuild Series.

And Sorry but I disagree about "leave some parts to our imagination" in this case, that sounds as an excuse not to demand in better Movie.

Dr. Talos
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Talos » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:37 pm

View Original Postskulkidcachi90 wrote:I really not have any kind of hope of Anno Making a good job answering crucial points on the Plot of the Rebuild Series.
And Sorry but I disagree about "leave some parts to our imagination" in this case, that sounds as an excuse not to demand in better Movie.

Given that Final isn't likely to have a much longer run time than the previous films and Eva's general love of leaving things ambiguous I don't think we can expect too much time to be given to the time skip events.

At best I'd expect a short recap style explanation from one character or another and maybe some flashback images. It wouldn't be all that bad to leave it vague honestly. Final's going have a huge amount of other events and information to get through and dedicating too much time to explaining past times is a surefire way to screw the momentum.

Maybe at a future date they'll make a series set during the time skip. I'm sure it'd sell well enough.

skulkidcachi90
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby skulkidcachi90 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:59 pm

Maybe at a future date they'll make a series set during the time skip. I'm sure it'd sell well enough.

God Please No, I prefer they not explain anything in that case.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”