Which Character Should Kill Gendo?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:29 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Gendo will pilot the Gendovangelion to ascend to godhood and Shinji will have a giant robot swordfight with him, but ultimately defeat him with the power of love.

Or maybe both father and son will wear super-skimpy Kamui and fight to the death with scissor-shaped swords! :lol:

Kill la Kill jokes aside, if Gendo has to die, he'll either die at the hands of Yui (again) or through having his grand plans finally get unstuck on him, and go out with another "I'm sorry, Shinji" or a variation on it appropriate to the new continuity. But getting Gendo killed is all too easy - after all, he and Fuyutsuki were practically the most "natural" characters to sacrifice in NGE. If Anno really wanted to go for something different this time around, Gendo would live but, to quote the end of Cowboy Bebop, "he's gonna carry that weight".
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:42 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:If Anno really wanted to go for something different this time around, Gendo would live but, to quote the end of Cowboy Bebop, "he's gonna carry that weight".

Honestly, I think for FINAL, that's what Anno would be going for this time around. We'll see, of course.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:51 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:If Anno really wanted to go for something different this time around, Gendo would live but, to quote the end of Cowboy Bebop, "he's gonna carry that weight".

Well, Gendo being captured by WILLE, sentenced to prison for life (bonus point if Gendo cybernetized himself expanding his life expectancy for many decades), and have a scene maybe a few months later, or even a few decades where Shinji, now adult and married (or not) visits him and they have their first father-son talk since the cemetery in 2.0, where Shinji tells him what he has been doing the past years, how the rebuilding efforts are going... and maybe have Gendo admitting that he was wrong all along and tell him that he's sorry in the face, with Shinji answering that he knows, giving them a closure that never happened NGE.

Yeah that would be cool. Or Yui bites him in half and spats him in the red seas, that works too.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:41 am

Further adding to my belief that 3.0 + 1.0 should take nods from MGS4. :tongue:
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:25 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Well, Gendo being captured by WILLE, sentenced to prison for life (bonus point if Gendo cybernetized himself expanding his life expectancy for many decades), and have a scene maybe a few months later, or even a few decades where Shinji, now adult and married (or not) visits him and they have their first father-son talk since the cemetery in 2.0, where Shinji tells him what he has been doing the past years, how the rebuilding efforts are going... and maybe have Gendo admitting that he was wrong all along and tell him that he's sorry in the face, with Shinji answering that he knows, giving them a closure that never happened NGE.

Yeah that would be cool. Or Yui bites him in half and spats him in the red seas, that works too.

Bonus points if Asuka leads the team sent to capture him, and she pretty much castrates him by going ORAORAORA!!! on his balls.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:05 pm

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:Bonus points if Asuka leads the team sent to capture him, and she pretty much castrates him by going ORAORAORA!!! on his balls.

Video is not Kamina. I am disappoint.

Grub
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Grub » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:53 am

Gendou should kill Gendou.

Oh, look I've posted here already! Opinion hasn't changed :)
"The closer you resemble a samurai, the higher your chances for survival." -Carl Sagan (What the!?)

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:57 am

Ritsuko should get to pull the trigger this time.

Although to be fair in this continuity we have no idea if they're in a relationship or not so maybe Shinji or Yui should get to do it.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:10 am

Besides if there was anything between Gendo and Rits in NTE, I really hope that after 14 years she turned the page and moved on and that her sole motivation for working with WILLE isn't to get personal revenge on Gendo, that would be really petty and a waste of the character. (even if she's not used much in NTE)

And she already got her shot at Gendo in the manga, Yui got hers in EoE, now only Shinji and Misato are left!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Cosmo11
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cosmo11 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:44 pm

Misato should kill him this time. She's spent the last 14 years of her life dedicated to destroying NERV after all.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:25 pm

Do you think Misato would kill him outright, hesitate before killing him, or pull a Q and stop at the last second?

Cosmo11
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cosmo11 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:07 pm

I'd see her asking him if it was all worth it or if he had any regrets. Then she'd kill him.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:06 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Do you think Misato would kill him outright, hesitate before killing him, or pull a Q and stop at the last second?

Hesitate? No, she already didn't showed any hesitation to dirty her hands before (like in EoE) so after 14 years of fighting against him to save the world she won't hesitate even half a second, maybe just ask him if it was worth or any other one-liner, as Cosmo11 said.

There's also Shinji who could kill him, after all "voluntarily killing someone" is still part of the things from his NGE counterpart list that he didn't do yet, so far it was only accidental and unwilling deaths (Kaworu and whatever many people died in N3I)

Mr. Jive
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Jive » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:18 pm

Shinji don't have the guts to kill his dad Unless he in a giant riding robot. Just like he don't have the guts to kill someone unless it's a helpless bang up one eye girl who can't defend herself.

What I like to know is what Gendo plan is this time? He don't look like he want to be whit his wife this time. Other wise he would have Rei bring U1 back and the hell whit Shinji, instead it seem to be the other way around. Does he still need Shinji for his plans or has Shinji out live his usefulness to him? He always needed a kid or two for his plans so if it not Shinji nor Rei then who? There a good chance it may not be any of the kids that was in the 3rd movie.
Kensuke not a saint but at least he's not a psycho jerking off to a girl in a comma.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:23 pm

View Original PostMr. Jive wrote:Shinji don't have the guts to kill his dad

And you would? It's not a thing that most people would even want to contemplate, so it's unreasonable to hit Shinji with it (especially as it's an issue that hasn't arisen ).

There a good chance it may not be any of the kids that was in the 3rd movie.

It seems unlikely that he would change the cast around at this stage.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:41 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:It seems unlikely that he would change the cast around at this stage.

I get the feeling that Gendo doesn't even needs any kids anymore: he has his awakened Evangelion thanks to the kids, and with that his floating fortress/weapon factory that disappeared who knows where, his own army of MP-Evas (if the trailer is to be believed) and if needs a pilot to do some precise work that an Eva IA can't do, he just have to pop out a new Ayanami-type.

Nekoleon15
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nekoleon15 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:11 pm

View Original PostMr. Jive wrote:Shinji don't have the guts to kill his dad Unless he in a giant riding robot. Just like he don't have the guts to kill someone unless it's a helpless bang up one eye girl who can't defend herself.

To be fair, that only happened because Gendo kicked in the Dummy Plug System, forcing Shinji to do what he didn't want to do with Asuka, it was beyond his control since he hesitated out there once he found out who was in the other Eva unit.

As for his poor excuse for a dad, he does deserve to have his plans blow up in this face.

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:03 pm

Just let Unit 01 do it again, no better irony than being eaten by your wife after you tried to end the world for her.
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:27 pm

View Original PostNekoleon15 wrote:To be fair, that only happened because Gendo kicked in the Dummy Plug System, forcing Shinji to do what he didn't want to do with Asuka, it was beyond his control since he hesitated out there once he found out who was in the other Eva unit.

I believe Mr.Jive was getting Rebuild Shinji mixed up with Original NGE Shinji . . . you did read te original post right?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:08 pm

KID: Who gets Gendo?
GRANDPA: I don't understand.
KID: Who kills Gendo Ikari? At the end, somebody's got to do it! Is it Misato? Who?
GRANDPA: Nobody. Nobody kills him. He lives.
KID: You mean he wins? Jesus, Grandpa, what did you show me this thing for?
GRANDPA: You know, you've been very sick, and you're taking this story very seriously. I think we'd better stop now.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”