You Can Start Again

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

Re: You Can Start Again

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:10 am

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:I'm also surprised he didn't give Shinji the cold shoulder or blamed him for the Impacts like the others did. Speaking of the others, why is it that these people aren't giving him the same treatment as he had in 3.33? I'm also wondering why Burke was so willing to take Shinji in despite knowing what he's done.

Looking forward to the next chapters.

Kensuke seems like the sort of guy who would believe in Shinji and continue to do so. So I can believe him not giving Shinji the cold shoulder.

As for the others, I suppose that Shinji has been back for months now and they've had a chance to see he isn't really a risk to them. They're also probably privy to more truths than others have have gave him the cold shoulder and realize he either wasn't entirely to blame or know the extreme circumstances behind it.

For Burke, he knew what Shinji had done but also knew just what Shinji was and it was established he and Kaji did have plans for Shinji. So he probably felt some sympathy for Shinji.

Those are just my guesses though. Cy might have different reasons of their own.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:44 pm

Chapter 12 has now been released. I would to make note that this is the longest work I have worked on so far, and could be considered the first novel-length work that I have (according to the SFWA, 40,000 words and up is considered a novel). I am quite glad that I made it this far, and there is still more to go. Again, it might be a good while before 13 comes out. Ever onward as they say.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:47 pm

I read the last chapter last night. It seems to me that Johanna is a bit like Shinji. The timid, shy type who has a bit of trouble opening up to others. I think these two are going to get along just fine. I wonder how things will be once she meets Asuka. And if Asuka is going to be the one training her to pilot the EVA, I can imagine her as the drill army sergeant who would not go easy on the new trainee.

I'm looking forward to the rest. Keep up the good work!
:asuka_thumbsup:
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:16 pm

Chapter 13 is now up. I'll admit that I had to muddle through this chapter, and there' s part of me that still is not 100% satisfied with it. The next chapter is going a lot smoother and should be up before Thanksgiving. Enjoy.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:12 am

I now present Chapter 14 for your reading pleasure. Now I have to ask, do any of you think that I have been a little cold in my interactions with this thread? I get the feeling sometimes that it's the case.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:49 am

I think you've been absolutely fine in your interactions here ^_^

Wonderful chapter by the way, said I all needed to in my review of it. You're doing a great job with this fic ^_^

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:38 pm

Wow i thought this was on hiatus but i guess i just missed a couple of chapters. So after having caught up again, yup this is still among my favorite eva fics i've read. I find the slow methodical pace to be actually quite enjoyable, leaves me wanting more. It also makes the changes Shinji is undergoing feel more organic and natural rather than feeling rushed, speaking of changes, i loved Shinjis line near the end of the last chapter where he asks Kensuke "is that the same as being in love?" it just shows and reinforces what previous chapters did, Shinjis lack of basic social skills and how he never really lived as a "normal" kid.

One small criticism though, sometimes i found myself having to reread cause i didn't notice the scene transitions/changes ( don't know the proper term) making it a bit awkward to read sometimes. Having said that, really enjoying your story so far and i hope Rei shows up again, kinda wondering if Shinji has been keeping up his visits.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:55 am

I am pleased to announce that Chapter 15 is ready. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask me. Enjoy.

Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lennik » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:43 pm

Wow, that twist at the end was definitely unexpected.

I look forward to seeing how Shinji tries to navigate having to see Misato again, since I imagine he still probably feels a lot of anxiety about that. In fact, given all the mistakes he's made and the fact that he's not even sure she ever wants to see him, it'll be interesting to see whether he's anxious and nervous to be around her or sullen. Either way, I'm sure he probably still feels conflicted about it.

And considering Misato was the closest he's had to a mother, I wonder if he'll feel lost now that she has a new family.

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:54 pm

Great chapter, that twist that cliffhanger :devil:

Anyway Looks like things are going to pick up soon as NErv looks to be gearing up to something. Shinji continues to be a rather good mentor when it comes to piloting and i feel some foreshadowing from Asukas "just live your life" line as Shinji is part of something bigger (his dreams and Kajis plan) that his life will undoubtedly be disrupted once more.

ending twist  SPOILER: Show
This should be interesting to say the least, and i must say i didn't see that one coming. Sure it was foreshadowed way back but it was still a shocker. Brings up lots of questions and implications. Miyoko seems to know of Shinji and if memory serves she showed some interest in Shinji way back when he first started school again and given who her mother is, maybe she knows more than usual. Will sure be interesting to see Shinjis reaction to all this and that conversation with Misato, ooh man excited for next chap.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat May 19, 2018 9:34 pm

It took a damn good while, but Chapter 16 is now out. I wish I had gotten to this faster than I did. Part of the problem is that it has been extremely busy at both my job, and in my home life. Part of it was that I got stuck and decided to write around it, that part I later decided not to include in this chapter (it will be in Chapter 17, and it will be posted in 2-3 weeks from now). And part of it is my own procastination (I blame Final Fantasy 12 -o-;). By far, the biggest reason is that this is the hardest thing I've had to write. There is so much on the table between Shinji & Misato, so many expectations of what the event will be like. Yet, I managed through. While I'm not completely satidifed with how it turned out, I know that it is the best I can do. There is a saying, I think attributed to Leonardo DaVinchi, that states art is never finished, only abandoned. With those words, I leave the chapter to you. As always, feel free to leave comments or questions. Thank you.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:31 pm

And here is Chapter 17. As I stated in my previous post. This was originally supposed to be part of Chapter 16, but I decided to make it it's own thing. That's why it's out so damn fast. I'm already around ten hanwritten pages of Chapter 18 so far, and while I do feel it will go faster since I have a better idea of where it's going to go, I'm not going to give an estimate of when it's coming out as I've always been wrong when I did it before. Of course, if you have any questions or concerns, about the fic, please leave a post. Thank you.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:30 pm

And here is Chapter 18. It was supposed to be longer, but I decided to make it a seperate chapter. I hope to that out in the next three weeks or so. As always, any comments or questions would be welcome.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:40 pm

And here is Chapter 19. It may be my own paranoia, but I have this feeling that this chapter might not be as up to snuff as the previous ones. In any case, all comments and questions are welcome.

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:20 pm

Lots of action and things happening without getting confusing, nothing to be paranoid about. So looks like things are finally hitting the fan, that does makes me wonder if uber Rei was actually after the Evas or simply using that tactic to lure the actual target to a more easily accessible area. Mary sue Rei and Shinji getting cut off from yelling a very familiar phrase, i see what you did there. :devil:

Been meaning to ask this for some time now but kinda always slipped my mind. you planning on addressing the curse of eva for Mari&Asuka and whether Shinji is/isn't affected by it??

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:12 pm

View Original PostSettie wrote:Mary sue Rei and Shinji getting cut off from yelling a very familiar phrase, i see what you did there. :devil:

I'm a bawd wittle boy. I'm glad you enjoyed it. When I can, I try to make those kind of little jokes about the Eva mythos, and it does give a good sense on how far Shinji has progressed. As an earlier example, see my nod to EoE at the beginning of Chapter 10

Been meaning to ask this for some time now but kinda always slipped my mind. you planning on addressing the curse of eva for Mari&Asuka and whether Shinji is/isn't affected by it??

I haven't been actively planning any plot points about it, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. I have a good idea of how things are going to go in broad brushstrokes, but I ususally leave the final details of how everything works out until I am writing it. Sorry I couldn't give you a better answer.

royabr121
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby royabr121 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:49 am

Any updates soon? This story is really good.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:54 am

I now present Chapter 20 for your reading pleasure. I don't know why, but I got this feeling that all of you will be dissapointed in the results, yet this is the best I could do.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:35 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I now present Chapter 20 for your reading pleasure. I don't know why, but I got this feeling that all of you will be dissapointed in the results, yet this is the best I could do.

Not at all, it was a great chapter. Left a review of it after reading it this morning. ^_^

royabr121
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby royabr121 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:28 am

I have a question regarding the story. In Chapter 2:

"I…heard that Shinji is now living with you vice-commander." She said.
"That's correct," Burke replied. "It's been only a week, and there are still some things to work out, but I would like to think it's going fine so far."
"I see," Misato said followed by a pause. "How is he being monitored?"
"Intelligence has eyes on him," Burke answered. "He can leave my apartment when he wishes, I made sure to tell him that. I even showed him a convenience store within walking distance. So far, he hasn't gone anywhere on his own volition."
"That might be for the best. Could it be that you're giving him too much leeway?" Misato asked. Burke titled his head in confusion as he processed her question.
"I… don't understand your question Captain," Burke replied. "He's not using much of the leeway he has already. He can't leave the city by himself if that's what you mean, and if you think he could be recaptured by Nerv, they would have to stage a full scale attack on the city, unless you believe a Mark 04 can disguise itself as a janitor or something."
"What about being able to have access the Eva Units?" she asked. Burke's face was beginning to develop a scowl.
"Not possible," he replied. "Unless he has direct permission from either myself or the Commander, he can't enter the facility to use the men's room, let alone go to the Eva cages."
"We need to take every precaution-" Misato began to say before getting cut off by Burke.
"And speaking of precautions, I do have some questions regarding the ones you took."
"Questions?" she asked.
"During our interrogations, Shinji talked about the few hours that he spent aboard the Wunder. Let's just say he didn't paint too rosy of a picture of his encounter with bridge crew." The two men could tell she had gritted his teeth.
"There were circumstances beyond our control," as all she said.
"Circumstances you say? You had him brought to the bridge when he was still unable to know which way was up," Burke countered. "Why would you do something like that? Couldn't you have gone to where he was under lockdown?"
"We had to confirm if it was really him," Misato argued. "I was in no position to leave the bridge. We did have the Nemesis series after all."
"I more than understand that you and the crew were under tremendous strain during that battle, but I have been going through your report and the ship's log, and I found that the attack didn't happen until after he was brought to the bridge. So I'm asking again, why was he brought onto the bridge? Why couldn't it wait until the ship was relatively safe?" Misato took a breath before she answered him.
"The bridge was the safest place on the ship to calibrate the DSS System. And as I stated earlier, there was no solid confirmation that he is Shinji Ikari. I felt that it wasn't necessary for me to leave the bridge at that time." Burke didn't buy it, but he decided to let it side She was right that precautions needed to be made at that point. But as it is now certain that this is Shinji, he still couldn't get her reasoning.

"They wouldn't admit this to you willingly," Burke began as he sat himself back up. "But I have been approached by several senior staff members as well as some city officials asking that we put a DSS system on him. After some prodding, they admitted that it was the Captain who brought it up with them."

If Misato did indeed confirm it was Shinji and not an Ikari-Type on the Wunder's bridge, why did they put the DSS system on him to begin with? Also, why did she insist on trying to have him fitted with it once he was in the city, when they should have confirmed by then that it was really him? It is very clear that she knows it is in fact Shinji, and still expresses concern for his well being - so why?

Return to “Fanfiction”