Awesomely Ridiculous Eva Crossover Ideas.

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

Awesomely Ridiculous Eva Crossover Ideas.

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:53 pm

Alright, Evangelion crossover fanfics have always been a staple of the Eva fanfic varieties. It's right up there with the Shinji/Asuka romances, The Gendo/NERV comedies, and the yaoi Shinji/Kaworu gay...stuff...

...and may we never speak of that last one again :roll:

I've had the privilege and pain of reading fanfic that mash Eva with many other types of film and anime...

...most of which have been pretty scary :shock:

But I ask of the forum goers, What do you think of Eva crossovers?

Are they good, bad or just plain ugly?

Let's hear your opinions and, if you want, your own Eva crossover ideas and recomendations.

Remember, you have the power!

Ganbatte!
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:12 pm

I think Eva crossovers are horrible. Ever heard of Sailor Moon meets Eva? Maybe Raxephon and Eva would be appropiate.

Asuka Loves Toji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Loves Toji » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:20 pm

yeah we find out that the shito were mulians and NERV is a resistance program planted inside of tokyo jupiter (which is in the year 2015 Coincidence? no) using mulian technology created to destroy the shito

sorry i let my imagination run wild there
comming soon so a siggy near you

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:46 pm

yeah, Sailor Moon and Eva?!

Well...That's pretty bad, but I think I've heard of worse...

My top three of the best of the worst crossovers would have to be:

3. Eva/FLCL
2.Eva/Gundam (This one had a gratuitous amounts of shounen ai :shock: )
1. Eva and...Kenshin?!

One fan writer decided it would be "cool" if the three children were brought back in time :roll:

Puh-lease!

I'm currently working on a manga project which is an Eva crossover of sorts (I wouldn't call it a crossover, more like putting Eva characters into a different anime)

If I put in the effort to actually finish it, I'll post it in the omake section for all to critisize (and/or flame and discourage, if you wish)
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:54 pm

AS a an author of an EVA/Gundam crossover I will say this: Karwou pilots a Zaku I Prototype Model against Unit-01 for a reason. I hate the guy. I have never seen one that is shounen ai BTW, most of 'em seem to be Shinji/Mana though.
Personally I think that crossovers are a good thing, though EVA/SM seems to be the most popular. I think it puts a nice creative spin on the franchise and allows for things you wouldn't think of to surprise you later.
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:47 am

Eva/Gundam is one of the better mech crosses, i guess

www.fanfiction.com

This site is usually jam-packed with the yaoi stuff...

...Rasberry jam packed...that is!

Oh, and to anyone who got the Winnie the Pooh reference in my title, you get a cookie!

Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston Pie!

Ganbatte
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:33 am

Yea bout the Sailor Moon and Eva crossover.....ever heard of Sailor Moon and the Seven Dragon Balls? :wink: Shinji gets lucky finally, oh AND Eva-01 too..... :mrgreen:

Mr.Guy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mr.Guy » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:52 am

Isn't Children of an Elder God a crossover fic? Or was it a fusion?

Nonetheless, it is one of the best Eva pieces of fanfiction out there. I highly suggest everyone read it, if they haven't already.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon May 23, 2005 3:20 pm

Some Eva crossover comics here

http://www.amazonmandy.com/comics.html

NEON GENESIS AZUMANGA, and PROJECT EVA

I'm so going to have to cite the 2nd NGA one when the commentary gets to ep#16... :twisted:
Last edited by Mr. Tines on Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Mon May 23, 2005 6:01 pm

Why is yukari in ritsukos role and nyamo in Misatos? That's mismatched, given their personalities it should be the other way around. Kimura as gendo was a good idea though, the art couldve used some work though.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:29 pm

Yeah, Yukari definitly reminded me more of Misato.
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

Oroboro
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Oroboro » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:58 pm

Personally, I despise fanfictions. I think they're absolutely disgusting. It's terrible when a fan takes someone's characters and twists them to his or her own personal whims. It takes someone with a total lack of originality to hammer out a fanfiction. Fanfictions that are based on the reality but use original characters are a bit better, but not much. It takes a writer with real talent for me to enjoy his or her fanfiction.
a Dream that never ends
a Love that never dies
like living on the other side of the sky
When everything’s an illusion
Life is neither borrowed nor bought it’s just something that you’re using
Nothing is my freedom
yet,
Nothing my cage
Man! it’s great just to be living
in the paradox age.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:36 pm

Personally, I despise fanfictions. I think they're absolutely disgusting. It's terrible when a fan takes someone's characters and twists them to his or her own personal whims. It takes someone with a total lack of originality to hammer out a fanfiction. Fanfictions that are based on the reality but use original characters are a bit better, but not much. It takes a writer with real talent for me to enjoy his or her fanfiction.

Mostly the only reason for reading fanfictions is to sate one's own hunger for an expanded experience with the parameters of the original fiction, not to actually prolong the core experience. The saying is true (most of the time) that, "It's just a stage." When taking one in, the intent should not be to find something deserving of its borrowed properties, but merely to enjoy something for what it is on the grounds of wanting distraction.

And in my experience, fanfictions which employ the realities while implementing original characters are never better than the standard type. I'd ask for a reference to what you have in mind by making this assertion, but I'm past being able to devote more than an hour to anything of the sort. That's what happens when you stick with some of the longer ones.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:36 am

Oroboro wrote:Personally, I despise fanfictions. I think they're absolutely disgusting. It's terrible when a fan takes someone's characters and twists them to his or her own personal whims. It takes someone with a total lack of originality to hammer out a fanfiction.

You apparently aren't familiar with the sort of fanfiction -I- write. But that's okay -- you probably don't want to be.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:45 am

You apparently aren't familiar with the sort of fanfiction -I- write. But that's okay -- you probably don't want to be.

To be fair, I haven't seen anything hammered--only processed.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:41 pm

Reichu wrote:
Oroboro wrote:Personally, I despise fanfictions. I think they're absolutely disgusting. It's terrible when a fan takes someone's characters and twists them to his or her own personal whims. It takes someone with a total lack of originality to hammer out a fanfiction.

Wouldn’t hammering out a fanfic exactly like what Anno or Sadamoto has produced represent a total lack of originality?

And what would be the point of writing something in another person’s style? It would be easier to just copy and paste the entire script onto a document and then call that document your fanfic. Plus that is the only true way you could ever create a fanfic that is 100% loyal to the original and contain absolutely no OOC. Changing even one minor point could be construed as going away from the story and any characters from that point on will be OOC.

To create something original, you must add your own personal touches. Otherwise it wouldn’t be original.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:26 pm

In the ideal world, then the advantage of works of extension or interpolation are that the writer has less need to establish characterisation or setting : the audience can be presumed to know the characters and want to visit them some more. In payment, however, the writer is more constrained by the received/shared vision of the characters and their setting.

In the real world, Sturgeon's law applies with a vengeance (there is a heckuvalot of crap to sift through to find the occasional gem); not least because the allure of more of something one enjoys draws many first-time writers to the medium; and in the days of the Internet, the whole world can see it (as opposed to the oblivion wrought on my own juvenilia after maybe 2 or 3 people saw it). This means that a lot of fan-fics out there are written by people who are making their early mistakes. And those mistakes range from lack of basic mastery of the language through to the more insidious ones of not hewing to a "fair play" style in making changes from the consensus, especially in significant aspects of characterisation (which is a charge that could be levelled against Sadamoto's take on the Children, too).

Mischaracterisation is a pity, since some of the most fun (albeit entirely out-of-continuity) fics I've read are ones in which some element of the absurd has been introduced, and the characters are then played pretty much straight (Misato's Predicament, Two Salarymen).

But in keeping with the original thread topic, doing a crossover actually changes the rules of the game slightly, giving new interactions to play with, at the cost of keeping more characters true to some kernel of their original vision. Along those lines, one of the few fully played-straight fics out there that I would actually recommend is a crossover, Shin Kakumei Evangelion, which quite convincingly blends in cast and plot from Revolutionary Girl Utena. If I had to fault it, it would be that she makes a couple of the Utena characters nicer than I saw them as being.

Oh, and besides, writing fan-fics (especially for Eva) can have a simple therapeutic value for the writer, to get something out of their system. Reading it is entirely optional.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:17 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Oh, and besides, writing fan-fics (especially for Eva) can have a simple therapeutic value for the writer, to get something out of their system. Reading it is entirely optional.

You could have saved yourself a lot of Engineer talk by saying this first. :P
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:38 pm

Hunter21 wrote:
Mr. Tines wrote:Oh, and besides, writing fan-fics (especially for Eva) can have a simple therapeutic value for the writer, to get something out of their system. Reading it is entirely optional.

What is it with you guys calling programmers "Engineers" anyway? Just curious.
Natsukashii, ne?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:22 pm

Hunter21 wrote:

I shall decline Biscuit's invitation to the Art/Craft/Engineering religious war :P, and feel gratified that you recognise the attempt at precision in language.

I could just have said "the real problem with fan-fics is that most of the practitioners can't write"; but that would be a bald assertion.

I should also have added that I missed pointing at the distinction from franchise fiction (e.g. Star Trek novels) - fan-fic is done for love; franchise fic is done for money. (Of course NGE shows us that things done for love can end up pretty screwed up, mind you.)

Return to “Fanfiction”