From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:46 pm

View Original PostVUX wrote:That's because i would like people to tell me if my ideas i'm pushing forward are good and creative

View Original PostVUX wrote:What about a crossover with Wizards or Fritz the Cat?

NO. :facepalm:

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:49 pm

View Original PostVUX wrote:How wouls you know, its not like your my concious

Maybe not, but you did ask for peoples opinions on your ideas, i simply gave you my own
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby VUX » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:53 pm

I thought you meant that "I" knew it wasn't a good idea and thst i was just throwing it for no reason
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:55 pm

View Original PostVUX wrote:How could i suggeet fanfics seriously?

By actually making serious suggestions. It would be one thing to suggest something like Evangelion and RahXephon, as those are both shows with similar characteristics.

But suggesting something like Evangelion and Fritz the Cat? Seriously? What do those remotely have in common with each other?

These threads are supposed to be serious and productive to some reasonable degree. If you're going to just spam ridiculous passing thoughts of little value, go hang out on the Discord, or go start a "Ridiculous Eva Crossover" Twitter account.

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby VUX » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:07 pm

After I'm done with the fanfic i've started, which may take me awhile, i'll make a crossover between the Guyver and Evangelion, which involves the Chronos Operation attempting to create a bioweapon by stealing technology from Nerv, and using it against the Guyver
Ps. Did that sound better?
PPs. I'm staying off this post for awhile

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:47 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:These threads are supposed to be serious and productive to some reasonable degree.

Um... everything serious I ever suggested here was either ignored or dismissed on the basis of not being canon-compliant. No matter who posts or what, only crack fic ideas ever elicit any kind of response in this thread and its rec thread sibling.

Just sayin'.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:06 pm

Try writing one rather than (barely even) talking about it. I mean, really try - and offer your efforts up for criticism. That might give you the chance to get some idea of what's involved in making such things work.

I wouldn't want to suggest ideas to others if I had no idea whether or not they would work.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:10 pm

Or, if you're going to make a batshit suggestion for a crossover, explain WHY the crossover would exist. Why would you crossover Evangelion with Fritz the Cat? Like, what about that crossover pops up in your mind as something that can be done? Give a reason for why, and if it boils down to, "I don't know, I just want to see if it's good," then you have your answer.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:34 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Try writing one rather than (barely even) talking about it. I mean, really try - and offer your efforts up for criticism. That might give you the chance to get some idea of what's involved in making such things work.

I wouldn't want to suggest ideas to others if I had no idea whether or not they would work.

...I honestly don't know whether that was meant for me or VUX. Especially because of the 'suggest ideas to others if I had no idea whether or not they would work' thing, as I never suggest anything I know it wouldn't work. I'm not Stillborn.

But the 'writing one rather than (barely even) talking about it' thing makes me question the very point of this thread's existence. I mean, if we're to write ideas instead of talking about them, then why even have a Story Ideas thread?
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:17 pm

It was for VUX, whose ideas are questions rather than even suggestions. I'm not saying that suggestions are worthless - they're fine if they have a germ of an idea how the ideas presented might interact as a reason for making the suggestion; but throwing out apparently random connections and asking whether they might work is, in my view.

OTOH, I suspect that most fanfic writers write because they had an idea for themselves, which is why ideas in a thread like this don't get much attention. I certainly did my writing because I felt impelled to myself.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby VUX » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:57 pm

I have a question, how could i adress the size difference between an Evangelion and the Guyver if they are in a fight?

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:25 pm

Guyver's so small in comparison that the Eva has trouble even seeing it, let alone stepping on it. Especially if the Eva tries to stomp but misses and knocks up a dust cloud, allowing the Guyver to use the cloud as concealment to scale the Eva's foot and go for the ankle for a mobility kill. The Eva pilot might be able to feel what the Eva feels - but that logically means they can't feel something small clinging to the armor without touching the Eva's skin, so if the Guyver hitches a ride, the Eva pilot can't tell without direct visual contact that there's an irate biocyborg-thing on its way to rip out the power cable or pry open the entry plug hatch to go straight for the pilot.

The Eva may be massively more powerful than the Guyver, but that power doesn't mean squat if it can't see the Guyver coming, especially in an urban environment where a human-sized target can hide and ambush from just about anywhere. Even against the Angels, the Evas had the most trouble with the ones that didn't go for the direct approach.

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:39 am

View Original PostVUX wrote:I don't understand why your freaking out, i just suggested an idea for a fanfic jeez

Vux is right. This thread's purpose is to get ideas going, there's no need to get worked up because you find an idea uninteresting.

Additionally, there's no story which [i]couldn't[/i[ be good. It all comes down to execution. Which a good enough writer, an idea that you find outside your comfort zone could become a great story.

If you don't like how his ideas make up most of what is being posted on this thread, then why don't you start posting your own ideas?
View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:But suggesting something like Evangelion and Fritz the Cat? Seriously? What do those remotely have in common with each other?

Since when did a 2 stories need to be similar to be put together...
Just a big bro looking out for sistah

Mess with this crew, and I'll give you a blister

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:14 am

Shinji has a Half Sister.

Fanfic Idea I wanted to tackle but don't have time. Sort've a more deconstructive/creepy take on a less common Fanfic trope. The "Fanon Relative' Idea. Which is basically where a Fanfic author gives a character a sibling. Either through adoption, or if the father is a bad guy or in a morally grey area, from another mother.

That's where this comes into play

Gendo knocks Ritsuko up, and she decides against having an abortion for whatever reason (is this in character for her?) , and that starts a ripple effect that turns the entire plot of Evangelion on it's head.

Shinji comes to the city to find he has a half-Sibling who's also a Candidate for the Eva program, who's only about 7 years old. If Shinji thinks he has issues, he hasn't seen the issues his little sister has. As to be expected with both Cold Clinical Scientist Ritsuko as her mom, and cold calculating literal Supervillain Gendo Ikari as her dad.

I'm thinking her name should be Tohsa Akagi.

Several hurdles to leap though.

1) Ritsuko's Character.
Assuming an accident happened. Is it in character for her to keep the baby? Is she the kind of person who wouldn't get an abortion given she's comfortable helping out Seele and Gendo? Even if it is in her character not to kill a baby. Would she really be a decent mom? Would she really want to aid Gendo and Seele in starting Instrumentality with someone she actually cares about (even on a base Maternal instinct level) someone who will be caught up in it?

2) The character of Shinji's Sister
This idea is a blank slate to draw any Idea you want on her. But you have to write a whole bunch of different things for her. One she's a child character, and one even younger than Shinji so that's a hard thing to write. Two. She has GENDO and RITSUKO as her parents. How would she feel about that? Would she even be old enough to understand? Would she defend Gendo when Shinji calls him out? How would she interact with Rei?

3) The Evas?
If Shinjis Sister is an Eva pilot Given the mothers souls power the Eva then that necessitates killing her off (at least in the story). If I killd Ritsuko off I'd lose how to examine her as a character and how she'd function as a mother. I could NOT make her a pilot. But then the plot of Eva would happen pretty much the same just with an added character.

Or I could go with the Rebuild timeline and say only Shinji has his moms soul in the Eva. . . But then you lose all the juicy character bits from NGE proper/

4)Shinji's Reaction (Jealousy? Anger? Resentment?)
How does Shinji react to finding out he has a little sister? Does he hate her for taking his place in his fathers life? Does he try to get to know her because she's blood? Does he hate Gendo even more than he did because of this?

Theres a bunch of other plot parts that fell off the machine before I decided to junk this idea. But those are the key factors I need to think about before anyone tackles this.

I'm currently working on another Non-Eva Fanfic right now. I don't know if i'll be revisiting this or SIRP anytime soon.

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:28 am

Tohsa Akagi offers a helluva lot of potential for character development.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:14 am

Let's see. Considering Gendo's and RItsuko's commitment to the project, I'm thinking that neither of them would really bother making time for being with the kid. So Shinji's initial jealousy could mellow out when he realizes that his sister is every bit as neglected by her parents as Shinji himself is, which would give them something to bond over.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:22 am

Character development for Ritsuko a mom? Also, where does Rei Asuka and Misato fit in this story?

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:48 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Character development for Ritsuko a mom? Also, where does Rei Asuka and Misato fit in this story?

It's your story, you tell us.

ErgoProxy
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby ErgoProxy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:23 am

Misato would be a sutured aunt of course, at least until Ritsuko would hit the wall of "my child considers her mother". You know what to do next.

As for Rei and Asuka, you could make them babysitters and when Asuka would try to turn it into a rivalry with "the favorite one" (you can use Matarael ep as basic pattern), Rei could develop a watchdog complex, or how would she call those emotions which she would be unable to name properly.

And of course piloting Eva would be the forbidden fruit for Tohsa, so she would eventually sneak into Unit 03 somehow and then shit would hit the fan...
JUSTICE & MERCY

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:21 am

View Original PostErgoProxy#874221 wrote:Misato would be a sutured aunt of course

That's what I was thinking too, until I remembered that Misato wasn't always in Tokyo-3 but arrived fairly recently.

Return to “Fanfiction”