From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

Postby amitakartok » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:55 am

Back when I was still planning SCE, I too got the idea of using God as the "final boss" of sorts. I ultimately decided against it because, as you said, what could possibly motivate him into fucking around with humanity this much and possibly take a personal hand in their demise? It just didn't make sense and had no point other than the writer trying to be pretentious.

Hence how I arrived to my present solution: the entity the Angels answer to and consider to be God is explicitly not God (though some of the Angels believe he is) and has a far more mundane origin. He's also the background manipulator type, not the boss-to-be-fought type; I'm still undecided on whether he'll be fought at all or not but if he is, he will only be fought to make it clear to the audience that he's way out of everyone's league and that the only reason humanity still exists is because he considers crushing them a pointless waste of effort as long as they're not in the way. Beating him is not the point of the story; he's a threat, yes, but not outright antagonistic (and is kept in check himself by higher powers), comes into conflict with humanity through no fault of his own and his overarching goal doesn't even involve humanity in any way.

Simply put, a big and spectacular final boss fight might be satisfying to the audience, but "and now everyone's gonna live happily ever after" is simply not Evangelion. "We still have a tomorrow to enjoy with our friends and families, so let's get to it", on the other hand...
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:00 am

You could go with Preacher route. In other words, God is, as an entity, extremely flawed due to His/Hers/Its isolation prior to the creation of Existence and All Life. Essentially, every horrible thing that has ever happened is God hurling awful events at Creation to see how Creation reacts, and who turns to Him/Her/It more out of love and need in times of desperation, because God NEEDS that love, and is unable to find a better way to gain it beyond manipulating people.

Then again, Garth Ennis has a very pessimistic view of humanity and existence in general.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:31 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:It just didn't make sense and had no point other than the writer trying to be pretentious.

Eh, it's a bit more than that. A major theme in Evagellion is moving on from the past. Asuka finds the will to live rejecting her mom's wishes for her. Shinji rejects his Father's isolationist approach to life. The rejectionof instrumentality is the rejection of what we used to be, LCL. In NGE, figures of the past try to control figures of the future. "God" would be the very epitome of the past, and him trying to control his creations would be this theme present in NGE taken to the highest extreme.
Essentially, every horrible thing that has ever happened is God hurling awful events at Creation to see how Creation reacts, and who turns to Him/Her/It more out of love and need in times of desperation, because God NEEDS that love, and is unable to find a better way to gain it beyond manipulating people.

yeah I'm thinking I might do something like that and draw inspiration from Kubo and the Two Strings treatment of immortality.
comes into conflict with humanity through no fault of his own and his overarching goal doesn't even involve humanity in any way.

Why? Why he created life is a question that would be intriguing to answer and one with immense narrative/thematic potential. I also don't see any reason for god to be omnipresent or all powerful, by my story he would simply be the one who created life.
(And for the record, I'm not religious).
"and now everyone's gonna live happily ever after" is simply not Evangelion. "We still have a tomorrow to enjoy with our friends and families, so let's get to it"

Uh, you realize "happy endings" usually can be simplified down to "We still have a tomorrow to enjoy with our friends and families, so let's get to it." A happy ending is usually not one where you're guaranteed complete happiness...

Also, I've just encountered a new dillema. Orhginally, I was under the impression Kaji, having died well before instrumentality would be dead. But the EOTV has him involved in instrumentality. Kaji is certainly someone I would think has the will to live. But at the same time, having written chapter 4, Misato seems far more interesting of a character when having to deal with Kaji's absence. Should I go what would be logical and rewrite the chapter, or stick with what I have?

And if I was to choose the latter, how would I justify Kaji not coming back despite still being a part of instrumentality and having a very clear will to live?

Never mind, I figured out the perfect solution.

Episode 4 is finished, offered Shinji some subtle character development and Misato even subtler development:
post/869009/Evangelion-2-A-Legacy-of-Angels/#869009
I've also made some more revisions of the earlier chapters to make the story flow better.
Just a big bro looking out for sistah

Mess with this crew, and I'll give you a blister

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby VUX » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:46 pm

What about a story wheres theres an evil or reverse Shinji whos the complete oposite of the regular one
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

Geometer
Adam

Postby Geometer » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:25 pm

View Original PostVUX wrote:What about a story wheres theres an evil or reverse Shinji whos the complete oposite of the regular one

I've tried to write story where Shinji is older and a bit more cynical, but IMO it doesn't work out, he became too close to the typical angry teenager. Making an "evil" Shinji would essentially be creating a new main character and really changing the whole series up a lot. Shinji for all his flaws never has much malicious intent, giving him it completely changes him and the feel of the narrative.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:36 pm

View Original PostGeometer wrote:I've tried to write story where Shinji is older and a bit more cynical, but IMO it doesn't work out, he became too close to the typical angry teenager.

Funny you say that... the second ever Eva fic I wrote had me giving the "angry teen" treatment to Rei and girl!Shinji.

Namely:
  • When Gendo told her to get into the Eva, she gave him quite an earful of a loud tirade to the effect of "no, you never gave two fucks about me so fuck you and the horse you rode in on"... to which his only response was a calm "Are you finished? :emogendo: "
  • When Asuka accidentally got caught with her underwear in hand because he wasn't told she's living at Misato's place too and was confused why is there a girl's lingerie on what he thought was his bed, Shinji's response was to bodily chuck him out of the room and warn him that if she ever catches him doing that again, she'll nail his family jewels to the wall.
  • When the confrontation with Toji happens, Shinji promptly points him at Rei as the target of his vengeance despite knowing full well that Rei is not an ordinary teenage girl to trifle with, leading to Toji getting his ass manhandled when he tries to deck Rei but Rei beats him to the punch and decks him hard enough to send him flying several meters.

Do not mess with the Bastard King's girls. What's in the family stays in the family - and remember that Gendo used to be quite the troublemaker in his youth.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby VUX » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:58 pm

What about a fanfic where Shinji joins the avengers?

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:31 pm

Closest I ever got to that one is a for-fun concept of canon!Shinji, S&WH40K!Shinji, ND!Shinji and my fanfics' Shinjis interacting with each other. I still have the file for that: dated 2012, less than three pages long and all of that is dialogue between the Shinjis fact-checking each other's universes.

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby VUX » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:32 pm

I've goten closer to making my fanfic, Angels, Gods, and Monsters
One of its themes is a three way rivalry between Nerv, G-Force, and the Jeager Program
What do you think of that?

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:12 am

I am so happy with all of your guys's thoughts, you really hitting upon what I I want to write about but just don't have the motivation to do. I hope one of you guys can start writing this stuff up
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby VUX » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:32 am

Anyone can write a fanfic, you just got to believe in yourself

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:44 am

View Original PostVUX wrote:Anyone can write a fanfic, you just got to press buttons on your keyboard

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:20 am

^
Like so:

SPOILER: Show
laksfkjsalkfjlk

ljfasncnsaovnaijfoiwqejronasdjkfnlkaslkasfkjasdlksl sdjfasd ffo kqwpo rf934u93490 j3i4j jfnsvjpqjf qpr on fsjf oinroi j239r onfoisdh fo jnlvkna fhiq3 roiqwnfoi obvnslkvn weoij oqnfh

...it's the first sentence in a fix-fic polemic in which Shinji's spirit-animal manifests itself as a violent corgi named Tucci.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Glor » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:41 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:^
Like so:

SPOILER: Show
laksfkjsalkfjlk

ljfasncnsaovnaijfoiwqejronasdjkfnlkaslkasfkjasdlksl sdjfasd ffo kqwpo rf934u93490 j3i4j jfnsvjpqjf qpr on fsjf oinroi j239r onfoisdh fo jnlvkna fhiq3 roiqwnfoi obvnslkvn weoij oqnfh

...it's the first sentence in a fix-fic polemic in which Shinji's spirit-animal manifests itself as a violent corgi named Tucci.

True art. Brilliant. Masterful.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:15 pm

There's also Campbell's soup cans. They are indicative of a deeper, metaphysical meaning between the feminine and masculine.

Also, tomato soup.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby VUX » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:46 pm

How about a fanfic where Rei merges with Cthulu, Godzilla, and the Devil to become the ultimate being?
Ps. Sorry if i keep using the word ps in my posts

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:01 pm

Can we get a fanfic about Asuka showing Shinji the beauty of Hip-Hop?

How about one where Asuka becomes the GOAT of lyricism?

How about one where Asuka defeats Areal through the power of personal, lyrical, expression?

Or don't. Who wants to make cool stories anyway? :sniffle:

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:24 pm

All things are best in moderation, both good and bad.

A story whose sole purpose is author appeal is pointless.

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:22 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:
A story whose sole purpose is author appeal is pointless.

Whatchu tryna imply punk. :argh:

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:49 am

Asuka as a hip-hop fan?

...I could see it.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Return to “Fanfiction”