From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

Postby amitakartok » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:01 am

As one of my minions put it elsewhere:

Shinji: "I just want to say, it was nice knowing you all. Except you, Dad, I hate you."
Misato (confused): "...nice knowing us all? But you're only just meeting everyone now..."
Shinji: "I know, but I just have the sinking feeling that this is all going to end with everyone dying horribly at the last minute."
Ritsuko (thinking to herself): Shit shit shit shit shit HOW DOES HE KNOW?!

Is that what you meant?
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:45 am

Time for some self promotion:
thread/19228/Evangelion-2-A-Legacy-of-Angels/

From what I've seen, all the fan fics here are either
A. AU's
B. Characters coping with the Events of Evagellion mentally years after the fact.

My story is different. This is essentially meant to be NGE, season 2. It picks up right off where EOE ended, and goes from there(albeit with some non linear chronology).

There will definitely be character drama dealing with characters having to deal with baggage from the past. However, unlike other fanfics, this characterization won't be explored in a household or a physch ward. Rather it will be explored with our heroes dealing with new threats that rose after the angels. In other words, there will be Mechas, there will be Angel remnants, evil proferssors, high speed chases, gun fights, and huge battles with robots. There will also be characterization, symbolism, and themes which these awesome battles will develop.

If you ever wondered what would happen if NGE had a sequel, then consider giving my story a read. I'll be posting chapter by chapter. So far I've posted three. I also appreciate any feedback to improve my writing. I've already revised my chapters based on helpful feedback from readers.

Or don't read it. But be warned, this emoji will forever haunt your dreams:
:sniffle:
Just a big bro looking out for sistah

Mess with this crew, and I'll give you a blister

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:04 am

View Original PostAsuka'sBigBrother wrote:Or don't read it. But be warned, this emoji will forever haunt your dreams:
:sniffle:

...that isn't sufficient reason for me to read it. Fan sequels aren't my cup of tea because 1) they tend to completely ignore EoE's more radical changes to the status quo in favor of returning to the status quo from where they can branch out into their preferred Shinji/? pairing and 2) the mere idea of a random noname fan presuming to write a worthy sequel to Anno's work comes across to me as "I know better than the guy who made this" arrogance. No offense.

There's a reason why I stay the hell away from canon while writing fanfics and it's not just because I feel like having my hands tied back.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:47 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:...that isn't sufficient reason for me to read it. Fan sequels aren't my cup of tea because 1) they tend to completely ignore EoE's more radical changes to the status quo in favor of returning to the status quo from where they can branch out into their preferred Shinji/?

1) I don't ignore those radical changes. I'm basing most of my characterization on those radical changes. Chapter 3 is almost solely focused on said radical changes and chapter 2's ending was written specifically to shatter the illusion of a normal status quo. The characters will repeatedly be forced to deal with their baggage from EOE/NGE while handling new threats.

2) Yeah, I don't like shipping either. I'm aiming to have the characters develop they could realistically go. While I've focused on some relationship development, my aim in doing so is to further their characterization and set up the thematic conflict of my story, not make a lemon. I can assure there will be less "romance" here than the vast majority of other fan fics on this site.
the mere idea of a random noname fan presuming to write a worthy sequel to Anno's work comes across to me as "[i]I know better than the guy who made this[" arrogance. No offense.

Uh, what? You realize this baseless conclusion you've made about my intentions could just as easily be made about anyone who writes any sort of work related to any sort of work of fiction? Your critique here is easily applied to any writer on this site.

Writing inspired by great work isn't arrogance, it's a way of expressing respect for said work. Not once have I claimed my work is better or as good as Anno's, so you can take your strawmen elsewhere.

I don't see how you could take it as disrespect for someone to want to add something to a great piece of fiction. That people want to add to this fiction is a testament to how great it is. Simply put, my status as a "randon no name" isn't relevant. As it is, everyone here are "random no names", but it turns out that fame and talent doesn't preclude you from writing what you want, hence why "fanfics" are a thing.

If you don't want to, don't read, but let's not make baseless assumptions about writing you haven't even read yet.
Last edited by Asuka'sBigBrother on Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:34 pm

Uh... I wasn't trying to diss your work. I freely admitted to not reading it, so I'm in no position to do so. It's just... I'm losing my will to read when it comes to Eva. I've read so many permutations of so many plots over the years that I'm just... I don't have the motivation to read anymore. It's not your fault by any means and I wasn't trying to imply that.

I also wasn't trying to diss you in particular about being a random noname. If anything, I'm even more deserving of that title, seeing how at least you are trying to find new readers, whereas I'm just bellyaching all the time about nobody reading my stuff with unashamed intentions of reverse psychology. I'm like the fanfic writer equivalent of a self-pitying, self-asskissing drunkard.

If you interpreted my above post as snobbish and offensive, I apologize. No strings attached. Happy New Year's, by the way.

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:43 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Uh... I wasn't trying to diss your work. I freely admitted to not reading it, so I'm in no position to do so. It's just... I'm losing my will to read when it comes to Eva. I've read so many permutations of so many plots over the years that I'm just... I don't have the motivation to read anymore. It's not your fault by any means and I wasn't trying to imply that.

Fair enough. I too, having given fan fics a try quickly lost the desire to read them. Writing fan fiction is a lot more fun than reading fan fiction to me.

As it is, fan fics are usually cancer. Your reluctance is understandable.
I also wasn't trying to diss you in particular about being a random noname. If anything, I'm even more deserving of that title, seeing how at least you are trying to find new readers, whereas I'm just bellyaching all the time about nobody reading my stuff with unashamed intentions of reverse psychology. I'm like the fanfic writer equivalent of a self-pitying, self-asskissing drunkard.

Wanna link me? I'd be interested in your work.
If you interpreted my above post as snobbish and offensive, I apologize. No strings attached. Happy New Year's, by the way.

I wasn't really offended or anything. If I sound that way, it's because that's how I sound online, not because you said anything particularly offensive. So no worries, Happy new year to you too.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:43 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Is that what you meant?
I'm not sure he'd say that -- just think it.
View Original PostAsuka'sBigBrother wrote:My story is different ... It picks up right off where EOE ended, and goes from there(albeit with some non linear chronology).
This isn't he first fic I've seen that takes this approach -- EVA-R did much the same thing, much earlier. The problem is defining what the short-term effects of all the geo-scale events in EoE were. Of course you could hand-wave them away by saying that the Sailor Scouts kept the disturbances localized to the vicinity of Tokyo-3 (there is precedent for that), allowing things to proceed in an only slightly disturbed world.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:57 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I'm not sure he'd say that -- just think it.
This isn't he first fic I've seen that takes this approach -- EVA-R did much the same thing, much earlier. The problem is defining what the short-term effects of all the geo-scale events in EoE were. Of course you could hand-wave them away by saying that the Sailor Scouts kept the disturbances localized to the vicinity of Tokyo-3 (there is precedent for that), allowing things to proceed in an only slightly disturbed world.

Yeah, I have no idea yet what a post third impact world would look like.

I'll have to address that at some point.
{quote] Of course you could hand-wave them away by saying that the Sailor Scouts kept the disturbances localized to the vicinity of Tokyo-3 (there is precedent for that), allowing things to proceed in an only slightly disturbed world.[/quote]
Elaborate please

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:12 am

Well it depends on how long everybody was in instrumentality. Like a lot of stuff could be irradiated, if you have ever seen life after humans or Life After People (I forget what it was ccalled to be honest) it explains what would happen to the Earth if humans vanished. And there is also the possibility of Lilith not just tanging living organic matter but also dead organic matter, which means no more meat for us humans until some animals start coming out of the sea and they have a chance to breed.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:07 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:Well it depends on how long everybody was in instrumentality. Like a lot of stuff could be irradiated, if you have ever seen life after humans or Life After People (I forget what it was ccalled to be honest) it explains what would happen to the Earth if humans vanished. And there is also the possibility of Lilith not just tanging living organic matter but also dead organic matter, which means no more meat for us humans until some animals start coming out of the sea and they have a chance to breed.

Yeah, I'm just going to get around those questions with instrumentality taking a short time. I've also decided instrumentality didn't just apply to humans but all life. As all non-human life is instinctively driven to survive, they prolly all came back. For the sake of my story, the water started red but became less and less red as more people came back.

I'm assuming that Asuka came back because she wasn't dead for too long, and so Misato and Ritsuko are likely still alive given they were in instrumentality.

Anywhow, this world building can be dealt with later. ATM i have to set up my villian first and the antagonists. As well as bring Misato and explore her relationship with Shinji and Asuka while developing her.
Last edited by Asuka'sBigBrother on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:56 am

View Original PostAsuka'sBigBrother wrote:ATM i have to set up my villian first and the antagonists.

What do you have in mind?

Also, what do you plan to do about Rei?

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby imprimatur13 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:22 am

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:What do you have in mind?

Also, what do you plan to do about Rei?

Like he said:
i have to set up my villian first and the antagonists.

(Yes, you can refer to Rei in the plural.)
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:06 pm

View Original PostAsuka'sBigBrother wrote:Elaborate please
It was a throw-away line in a fic I read many years ago, justifying why things were pretty much normal while dealing with the fact that the black-haired person who ended up on a beach was Yui Ikari in Shinji's body (in and amongst a heavy ration of soap-opera).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby Blockio » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:27 pm

As trivial as this is in comparison to the things discussed before, Id like to see Unit 03 and 04 surviving the explosion (or not exploding at all) and Bardiel (if executed correctly that could make for an awesome shot) to actually play a role as Eva Units instead of plot devices
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:45 pm

Gonna have that in my ongoing fic, but not anywhere near as per your expectations.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby Blockio » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:10 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Gonna have that in my ongoing fic, but not anywhere near as per your expectations.

Let me guess: SEELE will use them to attack NERV HQ?
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:38 pm

Nope.
SPOILER: Show
Unit-00 stands guard during Unit-03's activation experiment and snaps its neck as soon as Bardiel emerges to make it stay put while NERV figures out what to do with it - except Bardiel was theatrically trashing on purpose to lure Unit-00 in so that it can jump to Unit-00 as soon as it touches Unit-03. Rei is forced to blow the self-destruct to keep the Angel from attacking the other Evas and manages to eject in time, albeit gets critically injured from the detonation shockwave buffeting the entry plug mid-air. And considering that Rei actually befriended Unit-00 in this story as a surrogate big sister figure, she's quite traumatized afterwards but pulls herself together and claims Unit-03 as replacement with some help from a loli clone of herself. Y'see, this Unit-03 was supposed to be the testbed unit for an experimental neural interface firmware that requires two pilots in a two-seater entry plug, but the margin of difference when it comes to the pilots' neural patterns is so small that you literally need two of the same person or it won't work. It can be corrected, but not in the length of time NERV has, so it's left as it is.

Unit-04 isn't actually a new Eva but rather Unit-00's direct predecessor of a failed prototype extensively remodeled with cybernetics as an experiment to see how well an Eva can fight if you lop off the limbs and replace them with mechanical prosthetics, along with swapping out the wireless neural interface for invasive cranial wetware on the pilot's side. Answer: power-hungry, too fragile for hand-to-hand combat, a nightmare for the maintenance crew and liable to give the pilot epileptic seizures, but it has its uses. Like bigger weapon payload due to having internal storage space in the limbs, reduced oxygen and food requirements due to the reduced biomass and a degree of resistance to Arael's mindfuck due to the pilot's wetware's signal noise filter blocking some of it out.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby Blockio » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:05 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Nope.
SPOILER: Show
Unit-00 stands guard during Unit-03's activation experiment and snaps its neck as soon as Bardiel emerges to make it stay put while NERV figures out what to do with it - except Bardiel was theatrically trashing on purpose to lure Unit-00 in so that it can jump to Unit-00 as soon as it touches Unit-03. Rei is forced to blow the self-destruct to keep the Angel from attacking the other Evas and manages to eject in time, albeit gets critically injured from the detonation shockwave buffeting the entry plug mid-air. And considering that Rei actually befriended Unit-00 in this story as a surrogate big sister figure, she's quite traumatized afterwards but pulls herself together and claims Unit-03 as replacement with some help from a loli clone of herself. Y'see, this Unit-03 was supposed to be the testbed unit for an experimental neural interface firmware that requires two pilots in a two-seater entry plug, but the margin of difference when it comes to the pilots' neural patterns is so small that you literally need two of the same person or it won't work. It can be corrected, but not in the length of time NERV has, so it's left as it is.

Unit-04 isn't actually a new Eva but rather Unit-00's direct predecessor of a failed prototype extensively remodeled with cybernetics as an experiment to see how well an Eva can fight if you lop off the limbs and replace them with mechanical prosthetics, along with swapping out the wireless neural interface for invasive cranial wetware on the pilot's side. Answer: power-hungry, too fragile for hand-to-hand combat, a nightmare for the maintenance crew and liable to give the pilot epileptic seizures, but it has its uses. Like bigger weapon payload due to having internal storage space in the limbs, reduced oxygen and food requirements due to the reduced biomass and a degree of resistance to Arael's mindfuck due to the pilot's wetware's signal noise filter blocking some of it out.

Interesting idea to say the least... although as a confessing Eva 03/04 fanboy, Im not sure what to think of the changes to two of my favorite units. Still, that bit was enough to spark my interest, so good job

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:59 pm

Well, I did take more than a few liberties with the Evas.

For example, when I wrote the Ramiel battle, I had Unit-00 unintentionally get hit by a nuclear detonation's EMP. While the Eva's organic bits were unaffected, the cybernetics weren't: the overvoltage knocked the Eva out of commission via circuit breaker induced hard computer shutdown for about a minute until the charge was grounded through the armor, plus gave Rei a splitting headache from overvoltage-induced feedback in the neural interface (she wasn't electrocuted because the entry plug acted as a Faraday cage and shielded her from the current).

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby Blockio » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:50 am

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Well, I did take more than a few liberties with the Evas.

For example, when I wrote the Ramiel battle, I had Unit-00 unintentionally get hit by a nuclear detonation's EMP. While the Eva's organic bits were unaffected, the cybernetics weren't: the overvoltage knocked the Eva out of commission via circuit breaker induced hard computer shutdown for about a minute until the charge was grounded through the armor, plus gave Rei a splitting headache from overvoltage-induced feedback in the neural interface (she wasn't electrocuted because the entry plug acted as a Faraday cage and shielded her from the current).

I mean thats just physics, not really "taking liberties"

Return to “Fanfiction”