[Film] The Trailers & Upcoming Films Thread

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Re: [Film] The Trailers & Upcoming Films Thread

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:56 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:^ And that, silvermoonlight, is why a lot of pedophiles & rapists get to keep making movies in the film industry. Because even though he "should die in a grease fire" people are willing to look away & okay them & their enablers getting paid as long as they get their 90 minutes of entertainment.

So basically, money talks and bullshit walks... how disgusting.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:20 pm

Bottom line...
If I knew enough people who were even aware of the new films existence or are aware of the director's crimes to form a relevant boycott I would but I don't.

If enough theaters in my vicinity were among the very few who will be apart of the limited release of the film then I would boycott them all and considering how incredibly few movies I see in theaters as is, absolutely nothing would be any different.

My power to do anything about this is sub absolute zero, the only person I harm by not eventually watching Jeepers Creepers 3 online for free without giving a cent to Silva anyway is myself.

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:So basically, money talks and bullshit walks... how disgusting.

It's fascinating Hollywood's conundrum of priorities.
Like Mel Gibson said a handful of offensive WORDS while under the influence of alcohol but they banish him far longer then this sadistic trash who won't make them even half the money Mel could in his entire life.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:54 am

movieartman# wrote:It's fascinating Hollywood's conundrum of priorities.
Like Mel Gibson said a handful of offensive WORDS while under the influence of alcohol but they banish him far longer then this sadistic trash who won't make them even half the money Mel could in his entire life.

The same thing happened to a lesser degree with Hasselhoff and Alec Baldwin, but they were forgiven. And this certainly isn't the first time Hollywood has covered things up. The studio system covered up a lot things, from actors being gay to thier drinking and drug habits (like Marilyn Monroe). And hollywood has been unnecessarily banishing people since before McCarthyism, and it exploded during that time because of that fucking bitch Hedda Hopper (and the Red Scare in general), who threatened anyone with that nonscience if they went against her. So, Hollywood has a hair trigger at separating themselves from anything that could affect thier bottom line when it comes to race, but anything about sexual assault (as seen with Bill Cosby and Michael Jackson, which was kept under the rug for 40+ years) that Hollywood could give two fucks about any kind of sexual assault.

And to be fair, Mel saying "sugar tits" isn't really offensive, its actually kind of funny. In addition to that, his comments after being arrested for DUI were blown out of proportion because he's Mel Gibson. I did a ride along in high school in the middle of the night on a Friday into Saturday hoping to see some shit, and I did, and people getting arrested drunk shout some pretty nasty things, some of which were as offensive, if not worse than what Mel Gibson is reported to have said. The woman that the cop I was with arrested was beating her boyfriend with a pizza box (with the pizza sadly still in it) and a 2 Liter of Sprite, spouting about all sorts of rude and crazy shit. So, what Mel gibson did is no different than the average drunk/alcoholic, just because he was famous did it explode everywhere.

Also, I never really knew about Salva, or his convictions, but looking at a picture of him, he certainly looks like a pedo.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:46 pm

In the case of Mel Gibson it was the Anti-Semetic stuff he said that got him black-listed. Given a LOT of Hollywood is run of By Jewish People.

In more lighthearted news. James Camerons AVATAR 2 has started up filming.

http://screenrant.com/avatar-2-filming-start/

I didn't hate the first one, though I think it could have been a MUCH better film than it was. Not helped that the hype the movie got kind've made me set my expectations too high.

I hope this Sequel is the "Empire Strikes Back" of this series. Where they take the story to a more thematically rich place. Though I doubt that's going to be the case, given James Cameron wants to push the technology of filmmaking more than the story.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:36 pm

Lara Croft trailer looks pretty good. Tomb Raider was one of the first video games I ever played, and it looks like they've nailed the style. https://youtu.be/8ndhidEmUbI
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:13 pm

Slightly related to the exploitation of children, this movie looks very promising, lots of Drive/Taxi Driver/Hotline Miami vibes, plus Joaquin Phoenix is always fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1APnf3Y_W8
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:16 am

Annihilation with Natalie Portman by the director of the highly acclaimed Ex Machina
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufaDurSCKOk

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:19 pm

View Original PostKazuki_Fuse wrote:Slightly related to the exploitation of children, this movie looks very promising, lots of Drive/Taxi Driver/Hotline Miami vibes, plus Joaquin Phoenix is always fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1APnf3Y_W8

Taken IV: Geralt Takes Manhattan
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:10 pm

So J.J.'s remaking Makoto Shinkai's Your Name.

No matter what they do it will be an inferior film.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ce=twitter

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:15 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:So J.J.'s remaking Makoto Shinkai's Your Name.

Is that because of JJ, or because Hollywood has trouble adapting anime properly, or both?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:50 pm

Can Hollywood at least wait a decade before trying to remake? This is ridiculous with a capital R.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Hollywood has no ideas left, so they need to steal... I mean appropriate ideas from elsewhere to keep the benjamins flowing. They can't wait, they need want the money now.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:03 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Is that because of JJ, or because Hollywood has trouble adapting anime properly, or both?

Or the other option of: you simply can't replicate a masterpiece, no matter how competent you are.

View Original PostRay wrote:Can Hollywood at least wait a decade before trying to remake? This is ridiculous with a capital R.

If they capitalize on it now, it's a bigger win for the original product. More exposure and more widespread revenue. Doing it a decade later will at best provide a bump for the franchise in the future, but doing it now strengthens its long term success.

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Hollywood has no ideas left, so they need to steal... I mean appropriate ideas from elsewhere to keep the benjamins flowing. They can't wait, they need want the money now.

Ideas have never been the problem. You can take tired ideas and make them fresh if placed in the proper hands. The problem with Hollywood is their need to make the most marketable product, so they water it down. This is especially true for the expensive blockbusters that need a guarantee of returned investment. Nobody is going to feed several hundred million dollars into a project they know is playing to a niche audience. And so, they're not interested in recreating the magic of the original; they're capitalizing on it by creating a popcorn version of it. And that is not a bad thing at all. Like I said above, this helps the original product too. You can still find lots of fresh ideas in Hollywood, but those likely aren't going to be the products with huge budgets and flashy visuals.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:22 pm

I reiterate I can't wait for the Hollywood Blockbuster collapse.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:28 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:So J.J.'s remaking Makoto Shinkai's Your Name.

This is not a good idea at all and considering the problems they've already had with Ghost In The Shell and Netlix had with the live action Death Note, this is just barking up the wrong tree, like the rest of you I can't wait for this bubble to burst...
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:59 am

your name., now with 100% more lens flare!

It's going to suck and I want to dance on the rotten corpse of this remake.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:37 am

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/09/jeeper ... 201881375/

I am not surprised. The man is an actual sex offender on a government watchlist.
I'm guessing the same people on here who defended supporting Victor Salva's continued career (he's working on Jeepers Creepers 4, oh joy..) are going to find a way justify this element of his new film as well right?

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:57 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:http://www.indiewire.com/2017/09/jeepers-creepers-3-victor-salva-pedophile-molestation-plot-details-1201881375/

I am not surprised. The man is an actual sex offender on a government watchlist.
I'm guessing the same people on here who defended supporting Victor Salva's continued career (he's working on Jeepers Creepers 4, oh joy..) are going to find a way justify this element of his new film as well right?
Defend "the Jeepers Creepers mythology" all you want. Any viewing of this film whether paid or illegally downloaded just makes you an enabler.

Its at moments like this when I wish the studio could force a reboot of the franchise because rebooting Jeepers Creepers instantly rips it from Victor Salva's hands and forces in to the hands of another director and he can't do anything to stop it he basically gets kicked from the helm and the franchise once again goes back to being released world wide under a new film maker with a fresh lick of paint and no pedofile storylines with in the monster movie.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:03 am

^Though if they did that he'd still get paid massive residuals as the Creeper is HIS character since he wrote the original screenplay and no one can legally make a movie featuring his creation without paying him for it. So if they rebooted it and the reboot series became a major success he'd probably end up making more money.
Best to end the series that never should have gotten started in the first place.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:50 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:your name., now with 100% more lens flare!

He's not directing it, so lens flare won't be happening. He's already doing Star Wars 9 and that's gonna sap most of his energies for the foreseeable future.

The question is who's gonna get that gig?

I could see them giving it to Josh Boone (The Fault in Our Stars) depending on how well X Men: New Mutants is received. Though, he's also trying to get a theatrical remake of The Stand off the ground.

Steven Chbosky (The Perks of Being a Wallflower) would be another good choice.

@SalvaDiscussion:

I don't understand how Disney of all studios would look the other way hiring Salva to direct for them. Did they not screen him? Or, if they knew, is he really that talented a director (like Polanski) where they can excuse looking the other way and hiring him? I don't think so.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Return to “Film and Video”