[Film] Movies you dont like, but others love

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:51 am

I thought Ran was good, but not great. I would have to watch it again though since I have not seen it since 07 or 08 though. I remember liking it, but was not amazed as most people where.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:01 am

^ If you can I'd recommend seeing Ran on blu-ray and a really good theater system. It's one of those films that demands the biggest and best possible system.

Uriel Septim VII wrote:I always saw logical choices as being driven and justified by illogical feelings.
I'd say the feelings themselves are logical or have a logical reason underlying them but we often aren't aware of that logic and because of that they cause us to make illogical decisions. Or something like that. Put another way: Emotions are logical, but cause us to (re)act illogically.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:20 pm

Guyver Spawn wrote: thought Ran was good, but not great. I would have to watch it again though since I have not seen it since 07 or 08 though. I remember liking it, but was not amazed as most people where.

Ran is a film that polarizes people it seems. The English/Lit teachers in my school all regard it as one of the best cinematic adaptation of Shakespeare they had seen, while the actual Japanese Literature teacher isn't really sold on the literary nature of the film.

I for one, loved it, obviously. But I can definitely see how it could bore some people. It may be because of the pacing, but its a masterpiece in a stylistic sense.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:30 pm

ran1 wrote:while the actual Japanese Literature teacher isn't really sold on the literary nature of the film.
Haha! Literary nature of film... :rofl: Kurosawa's adaptations of Shakespeare are such great cinema because they are attempting to be great cinema and not great literature.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:44 pm

Haha! Literary nature of film... Kurosawa's adaptations of Shakespeare are such great cinema because they are attempting to be great cinema and not great literature.

Well you see, certain literature "scholars" like to place cinema under literature because they really haven't accepted as its own unique art form yet. I mean, they're way behind the times obviously (people were asserting films artistic values since the early 1920s I think) so obviously a high school literature department is really going to share the more intellectual opinion of cineastes like you or me.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:48 pm

Yes, yes, I've had more than my fair share of experience with this. I pretty much gave up arguing the merits of film as its own medium on a certain Literature forum I visit because the posters there, while highly intelligent about literature seem completely ignorant about film's unique merits as a medium. One poster loves to argue that since film is written first and since 'everyone' critiques it on a story/character level then the literary element is the most important in film. Of course this ignores the immense number of very average films from a literary perspective turned into masterpieces by the great auteurs as well as directors like Godard and Cassavetes who frequently made films without scripts at all.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:58 pm

I've honestly only had one success when it comes to convincing people that cinema was its own art form, and that was when I showed one of my lit teachers a couple of articles written by Sergei Eisenstein. English/Lit people are pretty often solid in their convictions about cinema, which is both good and bad, really. Their fervor for their art is always good, but their inability to really recognize what film really is can be a tad unnerving.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:59 pm

film vs literature fight has always been silly because everyone knows the true art is music

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:01 pm

Yeah, more lit experts interested in film should really familiarize themselves with Eisenstein and Tarkovsky from a theoretical perspective.

Xard wrote:film vs literature fight has always been silly because everyone knows the true art is music
As trollish as this is I might be inclined to actually agree. If art is all about form and content then the two have the most inextricable symbiosis in music.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:04 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
Xard wrote:film vs literature fight has always been silly because everyone knows the true art is music
As trollish as this is I might be inclined to actually agree. If art is all about form and content then the two have the most inextricable symbiosis in music.

plus you forget that music is completely zen experience

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:06 pm

I can have a zen experience with all art. I've had it plenty of time in film and literature (well, plays and poetry more than novels).

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:08 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I can have a zen experience with all art. I've had it plenty of time in film and literature (well, plays and poetry more than novels).

ermm, literature by its very nature should be definition of suck in inducing zen experience

film's more capable of it on theoretical grounds but I feel it's more than a bit too manipulative & artificial for grounding genuine zen experience.

Performance arts & music is the way it should go (well, music IS performance art)

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:12 pm

Meh, we've had this discussion before and come to a stalemate. For those who can appreciate language like its own music literature (especially poetry) is plenty capable of producing a zen-like experience. Film is no more or no less manipulative in music. If you think there aren't formulas in music for provoking an emotional and zen-like feeling and that they aren't manipulative then more fool (or naive) you.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:14 pm

Xard wrote:film's more capable of it on theoretical grounds but I feel it's more than a bit too manipulative & artificial for grounding genuine zen experience.

Jean Luc Godard wrote: Film is truth at twenty-four frames per second.

I'm inclined to agree with the Frenchman on that topic.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Meh, we've had this discussion before and come to a stalemate. For those who can appreciate language like its own music literature (especially poetry) is plenty capable of producing a zen-like experience. Film is no more or no less manipulative in music. If you think there aren't formulas in music for provoking an emotional and zen-like feeling and that they aren't manipulative then more fool (or naive) you.

I think we've been speaking past each other. I did not talk about "zen" in the mundane "man I feel totally sucked in and hypnotized and meditative" or whatever feel that nowadays so often is called zen experience for some reason.

and of course I know a lot of music is manipulative! :tongue:

ran1 wrote:
Xard wrote:film's more capable of it on theoretical grounds but I feel it's more than a bit too manipulative & artificial for grounding genuine zen experience.

Film - barring animation - is most artificial of all mediums. There's no "truth" in cinema.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:18 pm

I think you're going to have a hard time defining your particular definition of a "zen" experience and how you can only have it in music and not in film or literature.

Xard wrote:Film - barring animation - is most artificial of all mediums. There's no "truth" in cinema.
Bold statements made as fact sans any semblance of argument = UBERFAIL 2: THE LEGEND OF CURLY'S FAIL

Also, if you really want to discuss this you should probably bump our art wars thread from so many years back (if you can find it).

ran1 wrote:
This is always attributed to Godard even though it's 'merely' a quote from one of his films. I've often been skeptical of just how how much (if at all) Godard thought this was true given how much he sought out to deconstruct film and point out its artificialities.
Last edited by Eva Yojimbo on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:22 pm

Film - barring animation - is most artificial of all mediums. There's no "truth" in cinema.

I think that we readily accept all film as fiction. The fact that there is an image on a piece of film is a truth, is it not?

And in a broader sense, I would say that the Italian Neo Realists would have a claim to being the first people to attempt to bring "truth" and/or "Reality" to cinema.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:22 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I think you're going to have a hard time defining your particular definition of a "zen" experience and how you can only have it in music and not in film or literature.

Of course - in fact one could and should view very act of defining zen against spirit of zen :lol:

With film I'm admittedly on more shakier grounds but it does lack the genuinety and "living it" (no no identification with characters etc. does not count as living it) of more "pure"/zen arts such as dance. It lacks by its very nature the aliveness, purity of e.g theatre or music performed live.

but literature is by its very nature against Zen because language more than anything else expresses the structures of consciousness of which zen tries to break free

ran1 wrote:

I think that we readily accept all film as fiction. The fact that there is an image on a piece of film is a truth, is it not?

Now this conversation is heading into dangerously meta levels. I'm really not sure at all what you're trying to say here

ran1 wrote:And in a broader sense, I would say that the Italian Neo Realists would have a claim to being the first people to attempt to bring "truth" and/or "Reality" to cinema.

and they - too - failed miserably. One can't bring reality into film.

it's not like literature is better off at all

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:34 pm

Well, I'm not going to claim to be an expert on zen, so I'll go ahead and cede Music as the true art form.

But- that still leaves room for 2nd place. Which film obviously gets.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:38 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
Xard wrote:Film - barring animation - is most artificial of all mediums. There's no "truth" in cinema.
Bold statements made as fact sans any semblance of argument = UBERFAIL 2: THE LEGEND OF CURLY'S FAIL

I hope my small elaboration above helped somewhat.

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
ran1 wrote:
This is always attributed to Godard even though it's 'merely' a quote from one of his films. I've often been skeptical of just how how much (if at all) Godard thought this was true given how much he sought out to deconstruct film and point out its artificialities.

Ahh, I suspected as much. It really isn't at all fitting to "Godard's philosophy".

Return to “Film and Video”