Spear of Longinus in Constantine

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Wakko2000
Embryo

Spear of Longinus in Constantine

•      
  •      

Postby Wakko2000 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:19 pm

The Spear of Longinus (also known as The Spear of Destiny) makes a cameo appearance in the new movie, Constantine (starring Keanu Reeves).

The Spear in the movie looks like crap IMO. Hardly the kinda weapon that can pierce A.T. Fields. :shock:
"Death is the fuel for rebirth."

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:50 pm

Well, as I'm sure you know, outside of Evangelion, the weapon is not considered to be able to pierce much more than human flesh.
Natsukashii, ne?

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:14 pm

They should have looked at Anno's version.
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

Hand of God
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Hand of God » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:21 pm

the spears of longinus looked like a normal spear nothing like the one NGE and I like wakko2000's avatar
the world is just a sick and twisted place

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:25 pm

Thiers supposed to be NOTHING that speak can't kill.

And

Yeas nice avy bro
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Esion
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Esion » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:55 pm

The spear was originally just a basic roman spear head. Later it was passed down to collectors and kings. I do believe that it eventually made it's way into the hands of King Charlemagne of the Holy Roman Empire. He decorated it with gold and reinforced it.

It's a normal spear, it's not a giant twisty thingy that kills angels. Which raises an interesting point in my opinion.

If the spear of destiny, aka. the lance of Longinus, was powerful after having killed the body of Christ why is it signifigant in Eva. The angels are not really supposed to have any direct connection to what we call god. It's been speculated by some that they are aliens or whatnot. The show is not supposed to have any real religious signifigance.

So is the Eva Lance of Longinus the same thing as the real life Spear of Destiny? In the Eva universe who was Jesus? Did he even exist? Was he an angel? Was he the son of god? How could that be if god doesn't exist and man is a manifestation of the angels?

In the end Constantine was a horrible movie.
Yea and God said to Abraham, "You will kill your son Issac." And Abraham said, "I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

Esion
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Esion » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:56 pm

So any answers?
Yea and God said to Abraham, "You will kill your son Issac." And Abraham said, "I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:43 pm

Answers to what? I don't think there's any question that Constantine sukked with a capital Keanu.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

anatrok
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby anatrok » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:45 pm

I liked Constantine....*braces for flaming*

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:55 pm

The spear was originally just a basic roman spear head. Later it was passed down to collectors and kings. I do believe that it eventually made it's way into the hands of King Charlemagne of the Holy Roman Empire. He decorated it with gold and reinforced it.

Tests were run on the Lance and it appears that, no, it's not from Jesus' time period. They did discover, however, that the nail inside of the Spear may have been one of the four actually used in the crucifixion of Jesus.

Longinus is the name of a Roman soldier said to have pierced Jesus' side during his crucifixion. Blood and water poured forth from the wound, and upon coming in contact with Longinus' face, cured his blindness.

So, better question: Why was a blind man allowed to be a Roman soldier in the first place?
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:59 pm

So, better question: Why was a blind man allowed to be a Roman soldier in the first place?

:lol: :D :lol:

Damn. I hope they don'tt cut back during my execution.

_get some help

Esion
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Esion » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:20 am

Well I suppose what my question was regarding to the lance and how it relates to eva.

Is the lance in eva the same one that we believe was used in the execution of Jesus?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:26 am

Esion wrote:Well I suppose what my question was regarding to the lance and how it relates to eva.

Is the lance in eva the same one that we believe was used in the execution of Jesus?

NO.

Unless you think the Adam of Genesis was a giant luminescent humanoid who lived in a spherical cavity beneath Antarctica and gave birth to a bunch of angels, and from whose flesh not ONE Eve was made but fourteen Evas (and by the hand of science, not the hand of God, at that).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:22 pm

Unless you think the Adam of Genesis was a giant luminescent humanoid who lived in a spherical cavity beneath Antarctica and gave birth to a bunch of angels, and from whose flesh not ONE Eve was made but fourteen Evas (and by the hand of science, not the hand of God, at that).

I DO!!! I DO!!!

_get some help

Esion
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Esion » Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:16 am

Reichu wrote:
Esion wrote:Well I suppose what my question was regarding to the lance and how it relates to eva.

NO.

mmmmmk well then where does the lance come from? I assume that it was originally found and not produced. Later it was replicated somehow for the mass produced evas. I'm assuming it was found somewhere because it seems to hold signifigance not only to the story but also in the power that it has. Especially considering the way it can go through an AT field. If it was originally produced by man why not make all of EVAs weapons have that same ability?

So where does it come from?

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:46 am

i believe too that the original Lance of Longinus was founded and it has a significant meaning..But the question is where does it come from like Esion said..
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:42 am

No one knows, unfortunately. This is one question that has no answer.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:26 am

Reichu wrote:No one knows, unfortunately. This is one question that has no answer.

Anno must have had something on his mind about it,but it's too hard to find it or even imagine it..I mean there are NO clues for it..
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:57 pm

Reichu wrote:No one knows, unfortunately. This is one question that has no answer.

Acording to the eva2 game, the lance of longinus was made by an ancient civilization of humans, that nailed it in to Adam to keep him (or her, what ever) sleeped, so humans could rule the earth, and not the angels.

That makes very much sense to me :roll:
*insert cool signature here*

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:34 pm

Nephilim wrote:

Acording to the eva2 game, the lance of longinus was made by an ancient civilization of humans, that nailed it in to Adam to keep him (or her, what ever) sleeped, so humans could rule the earth, and not the angels.

That makes very much sense to me :roll:

God I want a subbed version of this game so bad!!!!
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

Return to “Film and Video”