Star Wars

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Re: Star Wars

Postby Tankred » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:26 pm

I stopped caring about modern films yonks ago, it's not worth the heartache. Let Hollywood continue on a downward spiral, it's a satanic joke in its present state anyway. These planned Marvel and Star Wars films are just part and parcel of Disney's profit strat, they have them planned out because they know that they will make money, that the general population will want these films because that's what popular culture is geared towards now, the success of TFA and its generic SW formula worked like a charm.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:58 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:No it'll feel like Star Wars is pushing rope with the over saturation we're sure to get from the MCU/profit happy Disney. Look at the MCU, they have what, 20 years worth of movies planned out? How many movies is that? 40-50 in total? How many Star Wars films will we see in the next 20 years? 20-25? That's far too many.

This is a really bad idea on MCU's part, there is a reason you need to put franchises to sleep for a five/ten years periods because fans get bored and uninterested over long periods of time. So them making 20 years worth of constant movies will put them in the same hole that Marvels now in that some people don't find super hero movies interesting any more and are not rushing to the cinema's to see new movies because its just more of the same.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:12 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Look at the MCU, they have what, 20 years worth of movies planned out? How many movies is that? 40-50 in total? How many Star Wars films will we see in the next 20 years? 20-25? That's far too many.

Marvel is planning on focusing less on a consistent cinematic universe after Infinity Wars. This doesn't mean anything creatively other than Disney will no longer be willing to bet the farm on the success of these films. Star Wars will probably be actively replacing Marvel as Disney's main tent pole within 5 years.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:40 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Marvel is planning on focusing less on a consistent cinematic universe after Infinity Wars. This doesn't mean anything creatively other than Disney will no longer be willing to bet the farm on the success of these films. Star Wars will probably be actively replacing Marvel as Disney's main tent pole within 5 years.

But how long will they drag out the Star Wars movies with yearly or multiple releases per year? Then what poor movie franchise will they go after to drain dryer than a 5,000 year old mummy? When will Star Wars fans call it quits?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Cybermat47 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:51 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:When will Star Wars fans call it quits?

When we finally get Republic Commando II, and when Revan is made canon again.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:47 am

Star Wars fans will never quit. They've had since 1983 to walk away. There hasn't been an above average movie in the series since. Also you can't underestimate the generational power of Star Wars. It's a series that people grow up with and then pass that joyous infection off to their kids.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:55 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Star Wars fans will never quit. They've had since 1983 to walk away. There hasn't been an above average movie in the series since. Also you can't underestimate the generational power of Star Wars. It's a series that people grow up with and then pass that joyous infection off to their kids.

The good bulk of SW fans won't, but a sizable minority have, and the Disney takeover has made for a fine demarcation line, not that it will make much difference, nor should anyone care.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:13 am

People thought the prequels ruined Star Wars, yet they did an excellent job keeping the franchise alive and fresh another fifteen years, well before Disney rebooted it. The thing about Star Wars is that it can reinvent itself.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Glor » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:46 am

View Original PostCybermat47 wrote:When we finally get Republic Commando II, and when Revan is made canon again.

This. Just leave out the Old Republic MMO and we'll be good.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:02 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:People thought the prequels ruined Star Wars, yet they did an excellent job keeping the franchise alive and fresh another fifteen years, well before Disney rebooted it. The thing about Star Wars is that it can reinvent itself.

Star Wars wasn't reinvented, Lucas introduced a world that was 30 years before OT, he managed to expand on Star Wars while making the era its set in look different to its forebear, he didn't give his fans any real fanservice either. The fans have legit critiques of the prequels, Lucas was a fool to not have someone other than himself direct and produce the damned films, they'd have probably turned out at least marginally better than the ones we got.

The difference between the prequels and the disney sequels is that the prequels were an excellent platform for spinoffs. George Lucas is imbecilic, but he could create one hell of a world, that's what differentiates him from the vapid and politically charged Abrams, the prequels might be awful, but they were Star Wars in their atmosphere. Of all the directors they could have chosen, they picked the man with the worst credentials for the Star Wars reinvention test, of course he's a financial winner, no one doubts that, that's why Hollywood loves the guy, doesn't mean his films have any artistic worth. I'm not trying to lay into old Jar Jar too hard, the Seel- Disney boardroom have their own share of the blame too.

I don't even hate TFA, I just find it embarassing as a Star Wars film, it's certainly entertaining, but it's everything I expected from Hollywood's favourite stooge.

By the way, I'm planning on watching Rogue One soon, I've yet to pass judgement on that, but from all I've heard it's an infinitely superior product to TFA, I might even watch TFA again to see how it holds up against it.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:28 am

That's exactly what I meant by reinvention. Call it a rose, I suppose. He presented us a world set before the original, with a new look and feel, new characters and factions, and reinvigorated the franchise for a new generation, while consciously tying the aesthetic back to the original by the end. We also got the Clone Wars animated series, which is an absolute gem, tons of new video games, comics, and novels focusing on everything new in the franchise.

People condemned the prequels for bad acting, bad dialogue, bad CGI, everything, and many people consider them a smear upon the franchise's reputation. But people tend to overlook all good things they brought to the table. They also don't look so bad now that the films have been saturated a bit, and we have the sequels. Star Wars for everybody!
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:32 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:People condemned the prequels for bad acting, bad dialogue, bad CGI, everything, and many people consider them a smear upon the franchise's reputation. But people tend to overlook all good things they brought to the table. They also don't look so bad now that the films have been saturated a bit, and we have the sequels. Star Wars for everybody!

That's the point I try and get across when everyone is so disparaging about the prequels, but I digress, it's all fine having star wars for everybody as long as it's still got some semblance of the soul of what makes Star Wars great, that's my only argument, I'll pass judgement when the rest of the films appear, but I'm not confident.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:17 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:
Of all the directors they could have chosen, they picked the man with the worst credentials for the Star Wars reinvention test, of course he's a financial winner, no one doubts that, that's why Hollywood loves the guy, doesn't mean his films have any artistic worth.

I wasn't aware Michael Bay directed TFA.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:24 pm

Cybermat47 wrote:When we finally get Republic Commando II, and when Revan is made canon again.

I wold be very happy if they made a Republic Commando II. That was one of my favorite pc games growing up.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:54 pm

We've reached a point where both Hollywood Studios and Fans are willing to settle for the same shit over and over again, because it's safer. Because it guarantees they'll be able to pay for the next big movie and fund their next Yacht. because it guarantees, while it won't make them FEEL anything they at least won't have to deal with something on par with the Prequels.

All that DESPITE the fact that Star Wars (and to a lesser extent the Marvel movies) are pretty much CRITIC PROOF. All that Despite the fact Everyone is going to go see a Star Wars movie. So here is an opportunity to do something fresh with the property, something new, something we haven't seen before.

Instead what is Disney doing? Same shit, new coat of paint. Why? Because the Hollywood blockbuster way of doing things is 'go big or go home' so they have to be careful to make a movie as inoffensive and uncontroversial as possible otherwise they'll lose money.

Then there's merch, if your movie doesn't sell all related Merch isnt going to sell either. Even if the movie itself does make money, if it's a darker or more controversial movie that tries to be something deeper, kids aren't going to want to buy the toys connected to it. I mean LOGAN may be a good movie, Daredevil, and Jessica Jones may be a good show, but do you honestly think either are going to sell happy meal toys and tickets to Disneyland?

Star Wars doesn't have characters in the movies with that sort of precedent for more adult content. Lucas himself tried to distance the franchise from that kind of thing in the prequels, and sadly with the sale of the franchise to Disney, that's going to remain.

Then there's Disney slowly but surely phasing out 'controversial' things from the franchise (I can say with full confidence you'll never see something as controversial as Jabba the Hutt putting Leia in the Bikini again) thus alienating longtime older fans who are actually looking for something a bit more adult oriented in the Star Wars Universe.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:59 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:I wasn't aware Michael Bay directed TFA.

They rubbed shoulders on the set of at least one awful film so they might be interchangeable variations of the same awfulness.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:11 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:I wasn't aware Michael Bay directed TFA.
JJ is about on par with Bay. Also considering JJ's Wrath of Khan 2.0, he wasn't the best director to take the series in a different direction, but he was the best to rehash and increase every damn thing to astronomical scale like the Enterprise (and Kelvin) was in the Reboot.

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Star Wars fans will never quit. They've had since 1983 to walk away. There hasn't been an above average movie in the series since. Also you can't underestimate the generational power of Star Wars. It's a series that people grow up with and then pass that joyous infection off to their kids.
Did you just paraphrase RotS?
SPOILER: Show
All kidding aside, I grew up with the prequels, and as awful as they are in places (sand, Jar Jar, etc.) Those are the films I grew up with and saw in theaters (TPM came out when I was 7) and it hurts when people say they were worse than the orginal. I saw the original trilogy only after I saw Episode I, and loved them all. But, to be fair and completely honest, there has only been one above average movie in the entire series, and that's Empire. The rest have been average, including a ANH, RotJ, and the prequels. And another point, when there was a scarcity of movies, and the hope for a new trilogy based on the famed Thrawn books, I wouldn't have given up either. There were so many books to read, I couldn't get enough of the EU, but after Disney's acquisition, all that's been pushed out of canon, and after seeing TFA rehash the broad strokes of ANH (missing wizard like man has key to helping us, Sith Lord on the hunt, desert planet, random cantina, massive planet destroying weapon that's highly impractical and has some mcguffin-ass weakness [which Rouge One unnecessarily needed to tell us why it was there in the first place], villain overconfidence in thier weapon being infallible, and quite a few more I can't think of right now), I really don't see much hope for the SWU once Episode IX is over and done with, as the series is going to become nothing more than a bunch of anthology films that won't dare stray too far from the 60-odd year period and characters we're already familiar with. Even thier one off film killed off all the characters, and made them so one dimensional (and boring) that any more films about them would be absolutely pointless.

EDIT: So glad I hit preview before I posted, as I saw Ray's post, and agree. Disney likes things as non-controversial as possible, and they love using a winning formula that will draw crowns, even if its the same shit, so I'm expecting a Death Star IV in Ep IX, or Starkiller II, or whatever name they come up with for their next, even larger planet destroying weapon.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:12 pm

Personally? I can't wait for the Hollywood Blockbuster bubble to pop.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:25 pm

Ray wrote:Personally? I can't wait for the Hollywood Blockbuster bubble to pop.

Yeah, then we'll have about five movies a year because no one has any original ideas left that don't require digging up intellectual property for a reboot of some kind. I give it three to five years before things start to slow, as Hollywood is going to make a misstep at some point where they remake and ruin the wrong movie, and then everyone will look at "the man behind the curtain" and realize that so many movies in Hollywood are based on the same formula that draws people in all the time. (aka Avatar is Pocahontas in space with blue aliens)

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:26 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Personally? I can't wait for the Hollywood Blockbuster bubble to pop.

Give it two or three years its going to happen though I don't see it being the SW franchise that will burst it, I'm guessing a mayor studio that's been around for decades will pull all of its money in to some big bang reboot and won't get any returns even from China and will kiss its ass goodbye over night and then every one at the other mayor studios will run around like rats in utter terror as if some one put a fire under there asses and they'll realize that they can't blame piracy or some other factor for there lack of sales and why there up shit creak with out a paddle.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Return to “Film and Video”