Star Wars

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Re: Star Wars

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:16 am

It felt like Ezra just ended up being baggage in this episode while Maul and Kenobi were the main focus. Things probably wouldn't have turned out differently if Ezra hadn't shown up, but they probably felt like he had to be there as the main character.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:26 am

Given the unique relationship between Maul and Ezra, as well as their connection with the holocrons, I'd say it was pretty necessary to have Ezra involved somehow, even if he was sidelined. Ezra needed to be rid of his connection with Maul.

Anyone else catch the reference to TPM and Qui Gon Jinn's fighting style? Overall the confrontation was a nice samurai movie homage, but when Kenobi changed his fighting stance to bait Maul I got the shivers. Even more so with their parting words. What a beautiful fight.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:28 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:Given the unique relationship between Maul and Ezra, as well as their connection with the holocrons, I'd say it was pretty necessary to have Ezra involved somehow, even if he was sidelined. Ezra needed to be rid of his connection with Maul.

That could be easily handled with a Force vision that showed him the outcome of the fight. Heck, that'd be a better resolution than what he actually got.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby KingXanaduu » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:32 am

I was both shocked, and very satisfied with the outcome between Kenobi and Maul. Overall, this was a GREAT episode, and a good ending to Maul's story. Now, he can rest.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:59 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:
Anyone else catch the reference to TPM and Qui Gon Jinn's fighting style? Overall the confrontation was a nice samurai movie homage, but when Kenobi changed his fighting stance to bait Maul I got the shivers. Even more so with their parting words. What a beautiful fight.

Yeah, I've seen loads written about the use of the lightsaber Forms and stances in the fight. It really does convey a lot of hidden depth that 5 minutes of flippy acrobatics couldn't amount to.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:14 am

Trailer for the first possibly GOOD Star Wars movie to come out in my lifetime. Rian Johnson has the gift that the others lack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4I68XVPzQ

RadicalRandy
Adam

Postby RadicalRandy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:55 am

I was not impressed by this teaser, honestly. Nothing incredibly new was introduced, so I'm holding out for the actual trailer.
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:58 am

There were some good details in there, actually. The space battle looks better than anything we got in TFA, and the overall feeling I got from it is that it'll be a bit less ad hoc than TFA was. I'm optimistic.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:08 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Trailer for the first possibly GOOD Star Wars movie to come out in my lifetime. Rian Johnson has the gift that the others lack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4I68XVPzQ

Meh, the teaser screams "be hyped by some vague and fast cuts of cool scenes" too much. I'm not so interested in Rei or Old Luke anyway. TFA first teaser hyped me a lot more. I also hoped to see a bit more Kylo Ren.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby movieartman » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:21 pm

It was underwhelming. But it is still a teaser.

Seeing At-At types in the distance from the red dirt kicking up fleet doesn't inspire confidence that they won't be homaging ESB. Luke training Rey was already gonna do that. They are really gonna throw Walkers in also?
:um:

RadicalRandy
Adam

Postby RadicalRandy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:52 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:It was underwhelming. But it is still a teaser.

Seeing At-At types in the distance from the red dirt kicking up fleet doesn't inspire confidence that they won't be homaging ESB. Luke training Rey was already gonna do that. They are really gonna throw Walkers in also?

Wouldn't be surprised. They love to do intentional throwbacks, and they're really cheesed them with TFA. I'm a bit worried that this will end up being "good but not great", but I'll keep optimistic until I get to see the movie (and more trailers).
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:53 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Meh, the teaser screams "be hyped by some vague and fast cuts of cool scenes" too much.

That's what teasers are. You already know the fan boys are going nuts analyzing each and every frame. We'll get more plot details in the second trailer prior to the film's release.

I've been watching Star Wars Celebration and following a lot of the news surrounding Ep VIII. Half of things I'm most excited for weren't even in the trailer, such as Snoke's new look and Benicio Del Toro's character. Based on this trailer, as well as the trajectory of other canon material, it really seems like they're pushing the gray Jedi philosophy, or at least they're offering alternatives to the Jedi/Sith dichotomy.

Also, a teaser for the Battlefront 2 game got leaked, and Rey is featured on the cover holding what appears to be a double sided lightsaber, though it's unclear. I would love for this to happen, given that she already carries around a staff-type weapon.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:57 pm

I just hope Benicio doesn't mumble unintelligibly through the whole thing.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:53 pm

Weird to see the people who praised the steaming & visually ugly garbage pile of shit that was the Ghost in the Shell remake give that teaser a shrug but what can ya do.
Either way, a teaser is a teaser. It exists to say "Hey, a movie is happening." Nothing more.
I'm not even a Star Wars fans - like I said, there hasn't been a good entry made in my lifetime - but I am excited for this film because Rian "Brick, The Brothers Bloom, Looper & the BEST episodes of Breaking Bad" Johnson has more filmmaking & storytelling talent than all the previous Star Wars directors.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:58 am

Its an interesting teaser trailer and at least there can be zero debate now that Rey is a Jedi as the teaser shows her doing her training with Luke though I am wondering though if Finn is force aware though hence why he able to use the light sabre for a short time. I do really want to see the full trailer though as I'm hoping they've fixed the issue with Kylo Ren as I found him really underwhelming compared to Vader as he didn't have that screen presence and I would love to see him to branch out and become his own kind of villain type and no longer be a Vader copy cat.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:07 am

Neat teaser. I like the whole "Jedi must end" vibe from Skywalker. It fits with my notions of the existence of either Sith or Jedi disrupting the balance between the Light and Dark sides of the Force.

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Glor » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:34 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:They are really gonna throw Walkers in also?

I don't think fans can handle a Star Wars movie that doesn't have Stormtroopers, Star Destroyers or AT-ATs in some form or another. Whether it be copy-pasta, i.e. Clones, Accalmator class ships and AT-TEs, or just tossing them in because they know the fans get off on that ol' classic Star Wars feel.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:05 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:They are really gonna throw Walkers in also? :um:

This is kinda like saying, "geez, another WWII movie with tanks?" It's a nonsensical objection, since tanks were everywhere in WWII. The same should be true with walkers in SW -- they're a stock part of the Empire's military, and should show up everywhere they can reasonably be used, same as TIE fighters.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:32 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:This is kinda like saying, "geez, another WWII movie with tanks?" It's a nonsensical objection, since tanks were everywhere in WWII. The same should be true with walkers in SW -- they're a stock part of the Empire's military, and should show up everywhere they can reasonably be used, same as TIE fighters.

That's why I loved with Rogue Ones final war scene so much because it reminded of me WW11 when they breached the beaches of Normandy even though it was sci fi and it had that feel of utter desperation as the rebels were throwing everything they'd got at the base and trying to the break the planet shield right to the point that they were willing to ram a ship in to just to break it while on the planet to you had an utter blood bath going on with walkers everywhere firing at the troops.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby movieartman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:54 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Weird to see the people who praised the steaming & visually ugly garbage pile of shit that was the Ghost in the Shell remake give that teaser a shrug but what can ya do.

Oh I do very much think the Last Jedi teaser was gorgeous visually. It just didn't grab me emotionally at first. Repeat viewings have elevated it tho.
The gits trailer blew me away as I never in a million years thought they would be so faithful visually with the cloak suit & such. I guess the giant holograms could be considered garish but I have no idea what could be considered ugly about the footage we got in the promotional material. (haven't seen the film yet, in pain after work most of the time so don't feel like going & sitting in a theater after).

View Original PostBagheera wrote:This is kinda like saying, "geez, another WWII movie with tanks?" It's a nonsensical objection, since tanks were everywhere in WWII. The same should be true with walkers in SW -- they're a stock part of the Empire's military, and should show up everywhere they can reasonably be used, same as TIE fighters.

I absolutely see your point but we just got them in R1.
The homages didn't bother me personally in TFA, I am just predicting people will be much harsher on this for rehashing then TFA got as this no longer has the excuse of "bringing back the classic feels".

My bigger problem with Starkiller was less it's presence then it destroying the entire republic without us getting to see it and appreciate what our heroes accomplished after Rotj. :uhh:

Return to “Film and Video”