Star Wars

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: Star Wars

Postby Sachi » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:18 pm

View Original PostMarkal wrote:Rogue One was definitely an awesome viewing. Considering how much disdain I have for Disney treating much of the Star Wars franchise in the past (In particular the CGI Clone Wars series),

Disney had nothing to do with the Clone Wars series. That series was running well before Disney acquired the rights to Star Wars. They just decided to let it remain in canon after the acquisition.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Markal
Embryo

Postby Markal » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:20 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Disney had nothing to do with the Clone Wars series. That series was running well before Disney acquired the rights to Star Wars. They just decided to let it remain in canon after the acquisition.

That is pretty much why I have so much disdain for how Disney handled Star Wars in the past. My other real issue was with how Rebels tended to follow up afterwards. Don't get me wrong, Rebels does have its fair share of strong points, but in my opinion, the whole "half-hour" nature of afternoon television doesn't mesh well with the epic-narrative-nature of the Star Wars franchise as a whole.

On a more subjective note, I found Ezra Bridger to be a highly irritating character to watch.
"It is nothing to die, it is horrible not to live." - Jean Valjean

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:57 pm

Ezra is really annoying. He gets a bit better in Season 2 and then backslides a bit at the start of Season 3. It got to the point that some have argued that the only reason the side character Mart Mattin was introduced was so that the creators could create another obnoxious child character with the traits of Season 1 Ezra and attempt to differentiate him from Season 3 Ezra to demonstrate the latter's growth. I guess Ezra is meant to be an empathetic character for the show's intended audience, but for some reason I found it much harder to find him likeable compared to any of the other main protagonists like Luke or TCW Anakin.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:07 pm

I don't take any real issue with Ezra. Overall, I find the characters in Rebels more likeable and better developed than those in the Clone Wars. Ezra isn't my favorite character, but he serves the narrative just fine. I enjoy how he goes back and forth between the light and dark because he isn't a properly trained Jedi and doesn't have the same biases toward the light and dark sides that the Jedi do.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby movieartman » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:23 am

Rogue One thoughts...
SPOILER: Show
-- The ending from about when the 2 Destroyers crash into the Shield generator onward to the credits is absolutely incredible, when Jyn & Cassian drop to their knees on the beach it dawned on me, "this is EXACTLY what you wanted from this movie's conclusion, this is perfect", same feeling I had during Kaworu's death in 3.0.
-- Vader at the end I think was necessary to REALLY drive home how severe of a close call this was, the plans were inches from him. He is just a unstoppable avatar of death coming to rip away what our heroes died for.
-- Music is a mixed bag. First 4th or so I was very unimpressed by it especially when the film's title played, when they first leave Yavin is the first time I really liked it. The music for the end finale upon the plans being uploaded onward however is utterly beautiful.
-- Extremely pleased at Tarkin's inclusion, his CGI worked 90% of the time I would say, 1 early moment his eyes looked ghostly but otherwise he looked really good. I heard people saying the voice & motion capture actor didn't do a good job, I mostly disagree. I think he may have made him just a bit too consistently stern compared to Cushing but lines such as "You may fire when ready" came off ideally toned.
-- Entire cast is great, not a single low point I can think of.
-- Jyn is definitely a superior character to Rey & I liked Rey a lot, but Jyn is just pure beautiful bittersweet tragedy, she has never had anything resembling a good life after her Mother's death, and yet her actions on her very last day alive mean more & will have further reaching repercussions then 99.9% of sentient beings will accomplish in their entire lifetime in the SW universe.
-- Mads's transmission to Jyn is just so potent with emotion but is so subtle at the same time, Mads is just a utterly brilliant actor.
-- Riz Ahmed I have had my eye on since his small but distinct role in Closed Circuit (2013), great here, I really got to get around to watching the mini series The Night Of.
-- Whitaker's Saw Gerrera I have heard from a decent number of people as being over the top, I didn't feel that at all. His scene with Jyn before showing her the transmission you just see him subtly breaking down in his paranoia & fear and the horror of the idea of his adopted daughter betraying him. It really shows the toll the Empire's weight has on those who stand against it.
-- Ships/space battles look incredibly solid and physically real, same feel you got from the solidness of the actual models from the original trilogy, the CGI ships of Clones/Sith look like the graphics of the 1997 Spawn in comparison.
-- Cinematography is gorgeous, shots of the end explosion from above the planet are mesmerizing.
-- Can't think of any notable flaws... Cameos by The Droids & the bar thugs aren't needed, but that is little more then a nitpick.
-- Overall absolutely magnificent film.
Empire > Rogue > 77 > Jedi = TFA >>>>> Phantom > Clones = Sith

Currently reading the novel Star Wars - Tarkin, damn good, will give thoughts on it when finished.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Postby chazthesilencer » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:54 am

Rogue One.

This might have been a projector problem- but lordy this film is dark, 80% of the screen seemed shrouded in shadow at all times. Might be one reason everyone seems to like the third act: you can actually see what's happening.

Anyway- I enjoyed it. The action scenes were exciting, acting was generally good and K2 got a lot of laughs from the audience.
Not enough Forest Whitaker however. I say the acting was good, but Felicity Jones during the hologram scene… I swear it looked like she was corpsing. Someone needed to send for the man.
Oy- seeing Leia at the end was just heart-breaking.

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:
And all those rebels at the end getting fucking slaughtered by Vader was the best thing I've seen out of Star Wars in a long time.
I had the biggest… smile… when I saw that.

I would strongly recommend you all watch future Star Wars movies after December, there are far fewer patrons getting over/still suffering winter colds and coughing and spluttering throughout the entire damn film.

I’ve always made it a habit to watch to the end of the credits (ever since Masters of the Universe), some porter had the nerve to tell me: “Are you waiting for a post-credit scene? There isn’t one”, I don’t care, you motherfu- anyway- I noticed credited under the list of “Additional Voices” was one: Steve Blum.
Listen closely next time you watch, I’ll bet Spike Spiegel is hidden somewhere in this film.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:04 am

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:I’ve always made it a habit to watch to the end of the credits (ever since Masters of the Universe), some porter had the nerve to tell me: “Are you waiting for a post-credit scene? There isn’t one”, I don’t care, you motherfu- anyway- I noticed credited under the list of “Additional Voices” was one: Steve Blum.
Listen closely next time you watch, I’ll bet Spike Spiegel is hidden somewhere in this film.

He's all over the place in Rebels. If there's a storm trooper in the show there are better than even odds he's voiced by Steve Blum.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby El Squibbonator » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:36 pm

This is changing the subject, but I managed to go to the Charlotte Symphony's Star Wars: The Music performance!
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby movieartman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:56 pm

Some behind the scenes stuff on the CGI cameos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMB2sLwz0Do

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby movieartman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:41 am

Episode 8 has its title...

Luke better not fucking die. :uhh:

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:44 am

The number one thing that stands out to me is the lettering for the main title has changed from yellow to red.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:48 am

movieartman wrote:Episode 8 has its title...

Luke better not fucking die. :uhh:

Yeah, I would be extremely saddened if that happned (plus, the title color is disturbing me). Maybe (or hopefully) the title is a reference to Luke being the last jedi, which seems like the best interpretation, and least saddening, as Ray isn't a jedi yet.

Also, about damn time for the title. Now we get to start guessing the title for Episode IX, which will probably be something about the Force being in balance or the chosen one, considering the titles RotS and RotJ.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:01 pm

I think this is another good time to bring up the fact that Disney bought Lucasfilm, made two new Star Wars films, and just announced the title of the third in the amount of time since the last Rebuild film, which we STILL don't even have an international title for yet.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:06 pm

Guy Nacks wrote:I think this is another good time to bring up the fact that Disney bought Lucasfilm, made two new Star Wars films, and just announced the title of the third in the amount of time since the last Rebuild film, which we STILL don't even have an international title for yet.

Shit, talk about motivation. Clearly there are different philosophies at work at Disney.

Maybe Disney should buy Gainax and Khara, then we'll get all the NGE material we can handle, or more. Plus, production schedules will be far stricter.

I'd also like to point out this - anime for Disney would be the next logical step for them. They have their basis in cartoons, so having expanded to super heroes and sci-fi, they may be looking for an anime property to buy.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:13 pm

They already distribute Ghibli movies, but they'd have to form a new company/division a la Miramax to handle it so the Disney logo doesn't have to appear on a show similar to Cowboy Bebop or Elfen Lied.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:21 pm

Distribution is far different than producing however. If they bough khara, they could just slap it in as a subsidiary, and let the anime flow. Considering the cash giant they are with Marvel an Star Wars at their disposal, the could pump out anime quite effectively (one would hope)

You're right, I don't think Cowboy Bebop, or most anime for that matter could be branded directly as Disney.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:22 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:I think this is another good time to bring up the fact that Disney bought Lucasfilm, made two new Star Wars films, and just announced the title of the third in the amount of time since the last Rebuild film, which we STILL don't even have an international title for yet.

Thanks good Khara doesn't milk Eva as Disney does with SW and Marvel.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:59 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:I think this is another good time to bring up the fact that Disney bought Lucasfilm, made two new Star Wars films, and just announced the title of the third in the amount of time since the last Rebuild film, which we STILL don't even have an international title for yet.

And when was the last time anything from Disney pulled the rug out from under you a la Q?

It's not a race, man. We'll get the final movie when we get it, and bellyaching about it in the meantime isn't gonna make it arrive any faster.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:31 pm

TOPIC.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:10 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:the title color is disturbing me.

It wouldn't be the first time a Star Wars title was done in red. But I do think it looks rather ominous.

Also, important word usage: "Last" rather than "Final" implies that there is only one Jedi left, presumably Luke, but does not mean that the Jedi will go extinct. Rey obviously looks to take up the mantle.

Return to “Film and Video”