Star Wars

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: Star Wars

Postby movieartman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:44 pm

Good audio review for RO with 1 person who loved Force Awakens and one who hated it.
http://oneofus.net/2016/12/highly-suspe ... rogue-one/

Chris...
TFA === 9 of 10 if I recall correctly.
RO === 8 and a half of 10.
Richard...
TFA === 3 of 10
TO === 8 and a half of 10.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:47 pm

The people on the collider videos Jedi Council all loved it, rating it as the best Star Wars film since the original trilogy, and easily a peg above TFA. The third act apparently really delivers. I can't wait until this weekend!
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:51 pm

The third act apparently really delivers

What about that controversy over the ending being changed to be a little more light-hearted? I mean judging from what I've heard and read the director originally wanted Darth Vader to kill everyone. But the studio stepped in and made the reshoots change the ending.

Without spoiling it does the ending betray the spirit of the rest of the movie? Or does it commit to its tone all the way to the end?

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby movieartman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:31 pm

The audio review I linked too isn't a spoiler review.
They said the likely reshoots are obvious at points, however it didn't sound like it was at the end.
They emphasized repeatedly that the film is super dark and that this is actually the most shades of grey film in the franchise.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:12 pm

I've heard that Vader has moments of sheer horror on screen, and that the film ends on an epic high note. The movie isn't about him, but when he's on screen his presence dominates. Also that this is the first Star Wars film clearly intended for adults, rather than also being for kids.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:34 am

Rogue One is alright. Movie gets almost as much right as it does wrong. First two acts are pretty tedious but it really comes alive in the last half hour when it seemed the entire crew remembered "Hey, these films can be fun too!". Sadly I felt a lot of the scale that was the really selling point of the trailer has been erased from the film with poor editing choices - i.e. cutting away from a shot too fast - & cutting out a lot of material. It's a messy movie but it works. Mostly.

If I had to rank Rogue One I'd place it far behind the original trilogy, a bit behind The Force Awakens + Revenge of the Sith & about on par with The Phantom Menace.

Will gladly discuss more once everyone else has seen it.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:26 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Rogue One is alright...about on par with The Phantom Menace.

:huh:

I'm pretty sure "alright" isn't the term 95+% of people would use to describe The Phantom Menace.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:01 pm

The Phantom Menace is alright. It's terrible in a lot of ways, but not nearly as cringy as Attack of the Clones. That romance though. :hitthetable:
- Sachi

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:05 pm

"I hate sand..."

*intense smooching ensues*

Charizard
Embryo

Postby Charizard » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:01 pm

To change the subject, it just occurred to me that Kylo Ren is something of a cerebral deconstruction of Darth Vader fanboys and Vader's status as a beloved cultural icon - just like a lot of real-life nerds, Ren is immature, socially awkward and obsessed with Vader, but in the Star Wars universe, that obsession translates to idolizing a murderous tyrant.

And we're all obviously fans of deconstructive works here. And Kylo's a "love it or hate it" deal, just like Eva.
My main hobby is dressing up as a 14-year-old girl
Instagram|Cosplay Facebook

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:32 pm

Pretty good! the first 2/3 or so dragged a bit, with lots of different locations visited in a short amount of time but little actually happening. The droid is awesome though, and he and the blind guy's comedy bits really save the movie during this initial lull. That last third though... it's star wars portrayed as an actual war movie. Awesome, but in a saving private ryan sort of way.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:47 am

Rogue One feels a bit different. Let's just say in terms of interest, I felt as if I played Infinite Warfare.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:38 pm

Well that was different.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Director Black » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:35 pm

Recently got out of seeing Rogue One with a few students from my school. This is the kind of movie that doesn't need to exist, but since there were obviously Star Wars sequels coming out, they had to find more ways to make money, and with it, took advantage of it.

One thing's for certain though, I am aching to find out more about the giant squid beast that mind read the pilot's mind (Then again, since RO will obviously do well, we'll most likely see more backstories for whoever the breakout character will be (Please, please be Chirrut Îmwe)).
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:43 pm

I think it justified its own existence just fine.

That was a good story. Snyder et. al. should take note. If you want to tell a mature story about hope this is how you do it.

SPOILER: Show
Also the made Vader a frightening villain again. I was worried they'd over/underuse him but it was just right.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Director Black » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:03 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I think it justified its own existence just fine.

Well, it does answer one pretty big plothole in why there was an obvious weakness in the Death Star.

Thinking about it more, wouldn't it be hilarious if Disney execs. came out and said that that's the only reason why Rogue One was made, whether serious or not? I mean, if it was, then at least it had other great things about it to back it up.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:18 am

View Original PostDirector Black wrote:Well, it does answer one pretty big plothole in why there was an obvious weakness in the Death Star.

Oh? Share with the class? Going outside is deadly for me this weekend, so I won't be able to see it until next week.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Director Black » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:50 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Oh? Share with the class? Going outside is deadly for me this weekend, so I won't be able to see it until next week.

Sent you a PM. It's a minor spoiler, but a spoiler nonetheless that's best left to the movie's explanation of it.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:09 am

That . . . actually makes sense. Why has no one hit on that in the past 39 years?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:53 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Pretty good! the first 2/3 or so dragged a bit, with lots of different locations visited in a short amount of time but little actually happening. The droid is awesome though, and he and the blind guy's comedy bits really save the movie during this initial lull. That last third though... it's star wars portrayed as an actual war movie. Awesome, but in a saving private ryan sort of way.

I echo this sentiment.

In terms of my overall enjoyment though, I thought it was a good effort. It's easily the best of the prequels (Oh, shit, RO actually is lumped into that category now) but it's far from being the absolute best of the entire series.

In terms of comparisons to TFA, I think that TFA had better pacing, but the third act of RO blew the finale of TFA out of the water with the exception of the Rey/Ren duel. Character work was okay, especially in a film with loads of them; however I still don't know the names of the Bromantic Asian Badass Squad (BABS), although Blind Dude was a more interesting character.

Oh, and it also includes easily the best
cinematic incarnation of Vader in my lifetime.

There were a couple of downers.

One was the music. Mikey G may be a good orchestrator, but his actual compositional skills leave a little to be desired as far as this film goes. I guess my main gripe is that he doesn't use leitmotifs nearly as often or effectively as Williams does. Aside from Krennic's theme (which I've completely forgotten by this point, mere hours after seeing the film) I could barely pick out, let alone hum, any of the music to myself after leaving the theater; whereas, with Williams' work on TFA, I could easily hum Rey's Theme and the Resistance theme even after the drive home. Mikey G's score is good for action scenes, but it's just not memorable, and when you're inheriting the mantle from the guy with the most recognizable film music in history, you gotta at least try to leave some sort of impression.

Another was the use of CGI. Specifically, the stuff involving
Tarkin. It takes immense balls to resurrect the likeness of an actor who's been dead for decades, even moreso to give him enough screentime to give him minor character status instead of just a cameo, but I don't think they handled it the proper way; namely, they had too many shots of him close to the camera with takes that lasted more than a few seconds. The longer you do that, the greater likelihood the character slips into the uncanny valley and that portion of your brain nags at you like a Ceti eel that what you're seeing is a digital effect. They didn't even need Tarkin to be in the film for as long as he was, and if you're going to include him, have him spouting his dialogue, back to teh camera with his face reflected in a window (which they actually did for a couple shots.) That way, the fakeness of the CGI is hidden. I actually think that Leia's scene was better-executed in terms of how long her face was on screen for, but I think the shot was framed too close. Overall, I think that this sort of de-aging/actor resurrecting tool should be used more sparingly and they should get more creative with their shot design and blocking when they do use it.

And now, the ultimate test: Would I keep my TV tuned to this movie if I were flipping channels?

Yes, but only after they reach Scarif.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Return to “Film and Video”