Star Wars Episode II - A New Thread

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Re: Star Wars Episode II - A New Thread

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:20 pm

^ Last I knew, Lucasfilm was a subsidiary of Disney the same way Marvel Studios is and they seem to be able to do what they please. But you're telling me that Kennedy is the head of Lucasfilm, so you're saying she wouldn't have any say in her studio's project timelines? That's ludicrous and no wonder Hollywood can't come up with an original idea to save their ass.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:23 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Disney is ludicrous and no wonder Hollywood can't come up with an original idea to save their ass.

Fixed that based on the overwhelming evidences supporting that statement for you.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:28 pm

Shouldn't it just be Hollywood in general that's ludicrous, or because Disney has the big dick they're the main issue?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:33 pm

I mean, Hollywood in general is ludicrous. But that's because they're reacting to Disney's latest Cinematic Universe success, all while placing their eggs in one basket within terms of "tent-pole film productions." Disney isn't the biggest dog in the Hollywood fight, and they are currently calling the shots within terms of trend-setting phenomenon in film. And anytime another trend starts under someone else's roof (Deadpool raking in all that money with an "R" rated movie under Fox), Disney buys out the competition and potentially neuters the offending elements so that they don't have to compete with it anymore (like the possible PG-13 version of Deadpool 2 coming out).

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:06 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Considering the man came up with the idea, how would he not be following his own canon.

I was referring to some of these https://screenrant.com/star-wars-biggest-plot-holes-obvious-dont-make-sense/ and I'm sorry but any writer who writes there own movies should not have this level of inconstancy people should not have to build new stuff to fix holes like this period. Yes movies will sometimes have the odd plot holes here and there but the amount in these movies is mind blowing.

Its also well know that Lucus's ex wife Marcia had no part in the new scripts as she edited the originals and her not being there really shows, she the person Lucas went out of his way to ease but when he fell from grace his dirty laundry got hung out to dry so speak...https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/media/the-secret-weapon-behind-star-wars/news-story/75eb078a8b14d93fce23b06e98805ffb
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:49 pm

Hollywood has never come up with original ideas. If you look at any list of the "best films ever made", regardless of the source or critic, almost all of them are adaptations of books, biopics about real people, remakes of other movies, or based on traditional stories or the Bible or whatever else. Filmmaking in general is about taking other people's ideas, making them look pretty, and then acting as if the original idea never existed in the first place.

When Lucas made Star Wars it only looked original because he succeeded in ripping off Dune, Buck Rogers, and Kurosawa in the right proportions that no one noticed until later.

Hopefully, if this species manages to avoid killing off all the pollinators and agriculture survives peak phosphorus, after about five hundred years or so as an established medium, filmmaking can get off its high horse and quit acting so defensive about being totally dependent on other forms of art to exist, which is a common characteristic of all art. Probably by then Smellovision will be full of auteurs with a chip on their shoulder about their precious originality, which is an inherently capitalist and restrictive take on creative expression anyway.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:33 pm

Originality is an illusion, and filmmakers are all illusionists. There are good illusionists and bad illusionists. Independent films are where the good illusionists are born, and Hollywood is where the successful illusionists die.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:39 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:I was referring to some of these https://screenrant.com/star-wars-biggest-plot-holes-obvious-dont-make-sense/ and I'm sorry but any writer who writes there own movies should not have this level of inconstancy people should not have to build new stuff to fix holes like this period. Yes movies will sometimes have the odd plot holes here and there but the amount in these movies is mind blowing.

Well, that's just a double standard. If all movies have plot holes, then what makes these any different? Of those sixteen plot holes, some of them are nitpicky, and half them reference the original trilogy. The droids aren't remembered because they are seen as tools or servants. They aren't thought of as sentient creatures. There are exceptions to this rule however, as Anakin and Luke especially treat them like normal beings. The Jedi being forgotten in two decades. Given the size of the galaxy and the small size of the Jedi Order, it is conceivable that many people in the galaxy didn't ever actually see a Jedi, and they would quickly fade into legend after they all but ceased to exist. Plot holes exist in the new films as well, but you're not going to mention those because it would take away form the argument of how bad the prequels are.

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Originality is an illusion, and filmmakers are all illusionists. There are good illusionists and bad illusionists. Independent films are where the good illusionists are born, and Hollywood is where the successful illusionists die.

So originality, like time, is just a concept? That's a little dark if you apply it outside the context of film, or even art.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:07 pm

^ It's not dark if you simply realize that we're all here to see good illusionists. Hayao Miyazaki is one of my favorite illusionists, cranking out those Public Domain stories on film like he created them from scratch.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:19 pm

^ I meant more along the line of applying it to individuals not being as original as we thought. But I understand your pint, there are only so many story templates in existence, it's how the directors present them to us in different ways that make us like (or dislike) a film.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:37 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Well, that's just a double standard. If all movies have plot holes, then what makes these any different? Of those sixteen plot holes, some of them are nitpicky, and half them reference the original trilogy. The droids aren't remembered because they are seen as tools or servants. They aren't thought of as sentient creatures. There are exceptions to this rule however, as Anakin and Luke especially treat them like normal beings. The Jedi being forgotten in two decades. Given the size of the galaxy and the small size of the Jedi Order, it is conceivable that many people in the galaxy didn't ever actually see a Jedi, and they would quickly fade into legend after they all but ceased to exist. Plot holes exist in the new films as well, but you're not going to mention those because it would take away form the argument of how bad the prequels are.

In a previous post I did not say that the new movies are perfect I said they had there flaws I also stated that some films do have plot holes this referring to both star wars and other fandoms. I'm also not saying that people can't like episodes 1-3 there just not my thing because I just don't enjoy that level of inconsistency that's just me as I don't like lazy writing which is a problem in the modern Hollywood and if effecting so many franchises.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:59 am

The Jon Favreau series has been revealed...
Title - The Mandalorian

Pedro Pascal (narcos, wonder woman 84) is strongly rumored to be starring.

“After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe,” Favreau wrote. “The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire, and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic ….”

Director list for each episode...
101 Dave Filoni
102 Rick Famuyiwa
103 Deborah Chow
104 Bryce Dallas Howard
105 Dave Filoni
106 Rick Famuyiwa
107 Deborah Chow
108 Taika Waititi

This is all very cool but I'm still kinda depressed both that Favreau isn't directing & that it's not a straight up Boba Fett series.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:41 pm

That actually sounds like it won’t be a steaming pile of shit.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:58 pm

Dave Filoni is the current god emperor of Star Wars. With him directing, we're bound to get some quality world building. Glad to see him doing something other than animation.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:10 pm

Chuckman wrote:That actually sounds like it won’t be a steaming pile of shit.

Couldn't have said it better.

But it's still a nice surprise that they're going for something outside of "known" characters like Boba or Jango Fett. Shows that maybe they need to get away from the idea behind the original trilogy being solely about the Jedi and the Sith.

SPOILER: Show
Unless this Mandalorian is supposed to be Rey's father :rolleyes:

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:50 pm

Begun the Streaming War has....

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:34 pm

I don't think Disney had a wide enough range of stuff to have a truly competitive streaming service. Sure, they have Star Wars and Marvel, but not everyone is drop money to watch that content, even if some of it is exclusive.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:21 pm

^I have to disagree. There's over 80+ years of material they have at their disposal ranging from their animated features and shorts to their live action movies dating from the 1950s as well as their network TV shows from that time, such as Davey Crocket, to their programming that they had on their cable channels.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:28 am

^ All that stuff is on VHS or DVD, so not all of it is exactly as exclusive as they think it is, they'd have to pull it form their current programming block to make it exclusive. Plus, they're focusing on advertising current properties such as Marvel and Star Wars.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:25 am

Now that Disney owns 20th Century Fox this is a list of series, titles & projects the top of my head of what they can or will have the option of putting on their Disney Streaming Service.
It may take them a while to put some of the harder R Fox material online but Disney will find a way. They’re shrewd at business.
Note anything in this list can have a TV Series OR even a Movie made for the service:

Marvel Cinematic Universe. (Every MCU movie to date available for streaming. Then they plan to extensively put MCU content on their service from spin-off series about Loki, Scarlett Witch, whoever, to standalone series and even “prequels” to upcoming theatrical films. Forget X-Men, the big event in Marvel Phase Four is making Theatrical Film & Streaming Content co-dependent)
Star Wars Universe. (All existing Star Wars material - Movies + TV shows - available for streaming. Also probably the only place where you can see the Original Cuts of the first Star Wars Trilogy in pristine condition with zero CG adds one. Plus The Mandalorian is only the beginning of their original content.)
Pixar. (A Monsters Inc. series is already in production. Any existing Pixar can be spun-off and in three to four yers I expect Pixar will release an Original Movie on Disney Streaming that started out as intended for a theatrical release.)
Disney Animation. (All Disney animated features - ‘cept maybe SONG OF THE SOUTH - available for streaming.... plus new material in production)
Classic Disney Characters. (Everything ever made with Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, etc. This also includes every Cartoon - i.e. Kim Possible / Gravity Falls - or live action series or movie made for the Disney Channel or ABC)
Original Features (i.e. Anna Kendrick’s Noelle which was set for a theatrical release this November but pushed to next year for the Streaming Service).
Disney Nature Documentaries.
Everything Jim Henson. (That’s right, Disney OWNS The Muppets)
AVATAR - (A Pandora set TV series after James Cameron is finished with his sequels perhaps?)
X-Men (expect a lot of TV series to do pick up work for the MCU over the next couple years)
Planet of the Apes (A series ready made for a Game of Thrones style mega-TV Series)
Alien. (While I think Alien: Covenant is a masterpiece. The likelihood of an Alien movie ever getting made for theaters again is slim. They cost too much to make and the R rating cuts into the profit margin.... but a Streaming Service TV series? Very attractive proposition. Throw Predator in there too since Shane Black’s The Predator majorly bombed)

EVERY MOVIE & TV SHOW 20TH CENTURY FOX HAS EVER MADE.
The Simpsons (ALL OF IT. Every Episode Ever Made Ready for Streaming.)
Family Guy
Bob’s Burgers
The X-Files
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
M*A*S*H*
The Shield
King of the Hill
American Dad!
Futurama
Modern Family
Everything on FX or FXX - It’s Always Sunny, Fargo, Atlanta, etc all subject to be moved to whatever service Disney wants.
Ice Age
+ Disney now has 60% ownership share of Hulu so I wouldn’t be surprised if Hulu - and everything on it like THe Handmaid’s Tale - got merged into the namebrand Disney Streaming service.
And More.

I know I forgot a LOT but all those titles and series fall under the purview of Disney now and can be used to strengthen their Streaming Service however they see fit. Plus I’m sure they’ll still make entirely original content on top of all that.
Disney Streaming is going to be a very successful competetive streaming service and Netflix knows it. That’s why they’re already killing off their Marvel shows that don’t make waves, are moving to brand name remakes - Avatar: The Last Airbender live-action - etc.

Return to “Film and Video”