Star Wars Episode II - A New Thread

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Star Wars Episode II - A New Thread

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:17 pm

@movieartman Can you provide a source? I couldn't find anything confirming that in my own Google search.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:54 pm

Well, its just the standalone anthology series of movies, not Rian Johnson's new trilogy, or the GoT showrunner's trilogy.Basically, they're still making movies, but it'll probably be every two years.

But again, with Kennedy's track record with directors, I don't see the new movies being all that interesting if she keeps firing people that don't match her "vision" of the franchise and then ordering reshoots up the wazoo. Unless Kennedy steps down, the Star Wars brand is still not out of the woods, no matter how much rethinking or retooling they do.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:28 pm

I know, but I still would like to find a source for all of this.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:50 pm

^ According to a few articles I read, this article is what kicked all this off. There is nothing definitive in the article that points to who told them (i.e. anonymous sources). So the legitimacy of the story is in question, but IMHO, it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:22 am

If this development is actually a thing, then good. I'm genuinely pleased about it, for a few reasons.

On a purely selfish level, I'm happy that these things could be going away; at least for a little while. It's always frustrated me that Disney, who as Gendo's Papa once said "have an actual galaxy to play with & all [they do] is tell stories closely connected to the main storyline". I don't mind them doing that with the main films, since a lot of people care about those characters and what's been going on, but when you're making a spin-off, why don't they actually spin-off from that?

Do other things: make an anthology film with different directors creating shorts based on how they see the universe, make a film in which, I dunno, a random guard is brought back from the dead by the Star Wars equivalent of a necromancer and has to go stop them, make an honest-to-God Wuxia/fantasy martial arts film where people use Force powers to do ridiculous combat! Just make something that can appeal to people who may not like the main series, and not the people who are already fans. I don't care for the films at all, but I'll happily play some of the video games and watch Tartakovsky's Clone Wars miniseries, because they do things that the films don't which appeal to me.

But no. Instead, they just make the most fanservicey pieces of tripe that only exist to answer questions that didn't need to be answered (and answer them in the most generic 'tightly-knit' ways), make fans giddy on superficial levels, and not much else. I'm not surprised Rogue One got away with it, considering the novelty of having Star Wars back was still fresh, but I'm glad to see that Solo wasn't able to do the same. If this break allows them to re-evaluate what the hell they're doing, and make more interesting films in both concept and execution, I'm more than happy to see these stop for a while.

There's also a couple of other reasons, beyond my own preferences. Firstly, not having these films come out every year (or six months if you're insane) will go a long way towards making Star Wars feel special again. Whether you like the films or not, it was always an occasion to go the latest installment of this game-changing, hugely influential series. But when there's a new installment coming out all the damn time, with constant hype for the next film immediately behind it, that spark is gone. It's not special anymore; it's just mundane.

With the spin-off films being canned, that sense of anticipation and discussion that you'd see in something like the Rebuild films can come back to Star Wars, and it can make those films the kind of pop-cultural event that even the shittiest of the prequels ended up feeling like. The discussion is especially important, since the lack of a film just around the corner gives people the room to really think and talk about the films in a way that you don't really see with the Marvel films.

Again, if this is actually a thing, I think this will be a good thing in the long run. Hell, maybe the fans who really wanted some of these films will decide to just make fanworks, fanfics, fan films, or whatever based on what they would have wanted instead - and giving the fans the opportunity to try and be creative, to let them discover what they can do creatively, is an even better thing.
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:13 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:^ According to a few articles I read, this article is what kicked all this off. There is nothing definitive in the article that points to who told them (i.e. anonymous sources). So the legitimacy of the story is in question, but IMHO, it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Cool. I just wanted to see some sort of links about it, and see if I couldn't get at least a little more info on it.

Honestly, if this is true, it's kind of a good thing. Spin-off films about supporting cast members can't really get get the audience attendance needed to support the huge budgets Disney wants to brag about spending on its license. And Disney isn't going to spend meager "Star Wars Holiday Special" pocket change on a Star Wars spin-off title.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:57 pm

Turns out it may have all been bogus: https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/mult ... d=56057987
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:44 pm

^ That seems more like a Glomar response than anything else because they're not confirming anything specific, just that other movies are "in the pipeline" for future release.

EDIT: And still no one is mentioning specific sources!

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:25 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:@movieartman Can you provide a source? I couldn't find anything confirming that in my own Google search.

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:And still no one is mentioning specific sources!

My bad...
http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoffs-on-hold/

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/s ... ld-a161529

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:30 pm

^ Oh, I meant the articles themselves weren't naming anyone who they were getting their information from. So the info from both sides is basically hearsay.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:14 pm

And keep in mind that ABC News, like Lucasfilm, is owned by Disney, so that's another reason not to be too trusting with them on this subject.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:45 pm

Solo didn’t deserve the reception it got. People stayed home because they were salty over Luke not being the main character of the other movie. On its merits alone in terms of pacing and script, Solo is a better movie than TLJ. It doesn’t have any random asides or pacing oddities or build itself around a central plot idea that is too small for the scope of the movie they wanted to make.

It’s not without smarmy excesses though and the same movie without the forced Han Solo stuff would have been better received.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:04 pm

^
SPOILER: Show
And minus the unnecessary robot love angle.
Just saying, I was a bit perturbed by that.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:58 am

SPOILER: Show
i would have liked that if it began and ended as a quirky character trait like fhe Rogue One droid’s barely contained murderousness, but they had to make it a “subtle” explanation for why the Falcon is “temperamental”. Instead of, you know, this famous-among-smugglers super fast ship is a finicky piece of shit. Which is actually funny.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:21 am

^ It seems those bad decisions may be coming home to roost...

EDIT: Though again, the article doesn't mention any of their sources by name, so please take this with a healthy grain of salt ^_^

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:49 pm

The Daily Express is a UK based tabloid newspaper who leans very far right. They often write articles bemoaning the dangers of racial equality, sexual equality, often blame immigrants for all national problems & routinely have to apologize for misreporting or presenting facts in a way to support their bias views.

The new Star Wars films have often been hit with ridiculous claims that they're worse because the more central roles for women + non-white characters is anti-male (more specifically anti-white male) & Kathleen Kennedy - one of easily the most powerful people in the film business after decades of spearheading some of the biggest film hits of all time - has been the prime target for misogynists as to why these new movies are "awful". The people throwing these criticisms always try to hide behind big words & explanations of how the "heart of Star Wars has been lost" but with little prompting these critics will always come back to her fault is being a woman.

The Daily Express caters to that audience. It also doesn't help their number one source for the article is a Youtuber who has a big fanbase but also has history of spreading false information as facts. Grace Randolph has a long history of spreading misinformation, for example she has routinely attacked critics as being bias towards Marvel or Disney movies & that they are unfair towards movies like Batman V. Superman - neglecting to mention she works for DC Comics - and has catered to her audience of men for a while by claiming Kathleen Kennedy is "anti-man".

Unless Variety, Deadline or HollywoodReporter which are the key insider journalistic entities that deal with the film business report this it's nonsense.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:32 pm

Star Wars never had a heart. Lucas never planned anything for a huge cinematic universe and other than having some fun with buck rogersy shit in the first one, had no interest in developing it at all. When he realized its massive commercial potential, he originally planned to hand it off entirely and use it to fund independent, artistic films from himself and others. When that fell through for a variety of reasons, he ended up returning to Star Wars, which remained culturally and (more importantly) financially relevant because of a marketing juggernaut that kept kids and collectors interested in merch well after RotJ hit theaters.

Everything he's ever said about having a nine film plan and consulting with Joseph Campbell and his ponderous self important about the symbolic depth of Star Wars is a bunch of nonsense he made up and pushed to try to regain some sense of accomplishment after he inexorably became tied to toy commercial movies for the rest of forever. Lucas never envisioned the story of the tragedy of Darth Vader until the sequels/expanded universe spun all that out of a visually menacing henchman character that Lucas himself once compared to Rochefort from The Three Musketeers.

If the Original Trilogy was released today, it'd be facing the same kind of criticism and attacks that the prequels and sequels had, and for god reason. The mains didn't really display solid acting chops until Empire/RotJ, the timeline makes no sense, the father/sister twists are very obviously unplanned, and so on.

Not to say that TLJ and TFA aren't deserving of criticism; JJ's entry is devoid of any kind of substance at all and makes an active effort to make no sense and confuse the audience and TLJ is a ponderous, self-important mess that buries a pretty good movie under unneeded social commentary and the writers confusing convolution with complexity. Of course, it's also hammered for a perfect conclusion to Luke Skywalker's character because it confuses and angers people.

I'm actually hoping Ep IX doubles down ton TLJ and straight up tells nerds to let the fuck go of deep meaning from their entertainment.
the prophecy is true

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:25 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:The new Star Wars films have often been hit with ridiculous claims that they're worse because the more central roles for women + non-white characters is anti-male (more specifically anti-white male)

Giving more central roles to diverse characters isn't anti male or a attack on the franchise's fanbase, it's the manner in which they carried it out that is or comes off as such.
Just like Marvel comics have done non stop recently, they drag a beloved character through the mud relentlessly in order to force us to like underdeveloped diverse characters with non stop reviews and characters in story screaming about how incredible they are when they haven't been given a chance to impress us or endear themselves to us naturally.
The key thing here that makes it more dire in this situation is that unlike comics which will always end up reverting to the status quo, Luke's image will NEVER get a chance at redemption.
I like Ridley's performance, I liked Jyn (and really the whole diverse cast of Rogue One), I like the Fem Thor comics more then not, I liked Falcon as Captain America while Rick Reminder was writing him, the new Latino female Green Lantern was cool & really sympathetic while still wearing the Earth 3 ring, Batwoman (a lesbian) is among my favorite comic characters ever. We don't hate diverse characters we hate HOW many of them are being done.

The focus on the diversity push isn't because the diversity is a problem, it's because the problems we take issue with are being done specifically in service of the diversity push.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:31 pm

So I point out & provide evidence that the most likely bogus article from an Islamophobic tabloid saying Kathleen Kennedy is fired is because of a self-feeding cycle of misogyny, hatred of women and a strong need to keep non-white faces out of popular narratives and your immediate response movieartman is not to say “Yes, there is a terrible Subculture of fandom and we must work to find ways to fight their slander & lies so these pop culture universes can exist for everyone, that we can’t allow Small groups guided by hate to lead the discussion” but your response is instead “that problem doesn’t exist. #NotAllFans.

Yeah, I’m not getting in that discussion.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:22 pm

My response is such because you sweepingly dismissed all criticism of how the new Star Wars and other forms of entertainment are executing their diversity as coming from no ones mouths but misogynist/racist and I am sick to death of such dismissals on this matter and many others.

The problem exist but it would be beyond irrelevant if people would just ignore screeching retards on twitter.
If the Star Wars fandom was as blindly hateful of all diversity in general and wanted to limit "non white male faces" as you claim then there would have been a backlash against the cast of Rogue One which there was not and they would not be pissed about Mara Jade being erased as they are, Leia would never have become the cultural Icon she is.

People asking that Kathleen Kennedy take a step back from having such a hand in these films is no different then the people who wanted Zach Snyder to take a step back from the Dceu. When a creator messes up twice, viewers want them gone. Gender has little to do with it.

Return to “Film and Video”