Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:01 pm

As of now, Justice League has made $570 million worldwide. For a movie that cost $300 million overall and needs (according to most of the sources I've read) $600 million just to break even, that's not impressive. By all rights a Justice League movie, no matter how expensive it was, should have made its budget back plus some change on its opening weekend. But now it's going to have to struggle to turn a profit before Star Wars: The Last Jedi steamrolls everything in its path.

If its current box-office trajectory is any indication, Justice League will end up with a similar, if not slightly smaller, gross than Man of Steel--in other words, somewhere around $220million domestic and $650 million worldwide. It's a shame; I watched it today and it's not as bad as everybody says.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:04 pm

[DELETED]
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:13 pm

I’m gonna suggest we just skip the goddamn origin story already. It’s time we stop trying to make the same stupid movie over and over again and move on with Superman’s life. (And Spider-Man. And Batman.)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:59 pm

Without that origin story. How is the story you want to tell in the current movie going to make any sense?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:50 pm

Same way we did with James Bond movies in the 60’s and 70’s, or Star Wars movies before the Prequels, or Alien before Prometheus. Also, who the hell doesn’t know Superman’s origin story this time? Unless it’s something wildly different, like Clark Kent being birthed from the gouged eye socket of a radioactive space dragon and disguising himself as Superman in order to fight crime, then don’t bother telling me. America already knows it’s own literal mythological figures at this point. We don’t need to retell the origins of our Greek Gods, we just need to name-drop it every 3 stories or so while creating actual new material.

I mean, think about it. We didn’t get a Batman origin story until the 7th motion picture franchise adaptation. It obviously wasn’t that important to the character. No need to force any pretentions on these things now. Heck, we even had a whole Spider-Man reboot that didn’t involve another boring scene of Uncle Ben dying. We can let these things rest for a while.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:25 pm

Well Tim Burton's Batman did showcase his origin story. Even though it wasn't ABOUT his origin story.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:50 pm

A good rule of thumb in effective storytelling:

Start as close as possible to the end of the story.

Starting the story with the main character as an infant is pretty much the total opposite of that.

That’s pretty much why the prequels suck, btw. Yes, all the technical issues and lack of vision from Lucas and bad direction etc etc but the fundamental problem is that those movies explain a story that’s already been told.

Same thing with Superman origin stories: they explain the unnecessary. I don’t need to be told why Superman acts a particular way I need to see him doing it. That was my beef with BvS, we’re almosf exclusively told how Superman is thinking acting or feeling by other people and we don’t see much of him being a character.

I particularly don’t need a belabored and boring explanation of his powers or whatever.

Superman has one power: He’s Superman, and Superman can do anything.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:58 am

[DELETED]
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:31 am

The primary limitation in the Silver Age was the Comics Code Authority.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:05 am

I agree. The primary limitation of the older comics was the CCA. DC Comics primary limitation today is that all of their biggest hits involve explaining things that don't need explaining. The money-making scene in their big sellers always involve someone with a chalkboard explaining how the Universe got to be the way it is now, and why it's so important to canon and continuity. Exposition is their bread and butter. Story-telling is not. Maybe that's why they also feel the need to have origin-story films all the time; they gotta get in their continuity exposition because they don't think that superhero fans are interesting in stories about heroes using their super powers.

Oddly enough, a strict observance to only the exposition and continuity is also why the DCCU isn't performing as well as Marvel. General audiences really aren't into films that focus mostly on continuity references and world-building maintenance to future movies nobody has seen yet. The only reason why they entered the theater to begin with was thinking "Hey, don't those superheroes use their super powers in order to save the day? That sounds like it would be fun to watch." Nobody wants a whole movie explaining how Black Panther got his powers (which, let's face is, is all an origin story is these days), just make sure he has a recognizable suit and does his cool superpower in order to save the day, and we're good.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:32 pm

Yeah, I think DC needs to realize how powerful some of their characters are. Before the MCU I think the only hero in marvel's stable big enough to just get a film without origin was Spiderman. I think Superman and Batman are both firmly placed in the history of pop culture as some of the most popular and iconic characters ever.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:30 pm

At this point I'd literally sell my soul to the devil for DC to get it's sh*t together.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:01 pm

Get ready to sell that soul, Warner Brothers is making some drastic changes to DC come January.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/dc-films-justice-league-1202632214/#utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=social_bar&utm_content=bottom&utm_id=1202632214

WB has three DC movies in various stages of production right now - Aquaman has finished shooting and is in post, Wonder Woman 2 which is probably going to sail smoothly as long as they stay out Patty Jenkins way again, and Shazam! for some reason. Everything else mentioned is in the air & a lot of projects will never get going - i.e. probably only one of the four or so rumored Harley Quinn projects that have been announced.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:01 pm

First Images of X-Men: Supernova are here.
SPOILER: Show

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:25 pm

Well This Came Out Of Nowhere

SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii3n7hYQOl4
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:50 pm

DC is already releasing a theatrical animated movie next year. Unfortunately, it's a Teen Titans Go! movie, so it hardly counts.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:18 pm

It DOESN'T count.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:03 pm

Marvel Releases 2018:

Avengers: Infinity War
Black Panther
Ant Man & The Wasp
Venom
Spider Man: ITS

DC Releases 2018:

Aquaman
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:30 pm

I already said that earlier

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:03 pm

I’m excited to see Spider-Gwen on screen. I hope that Marvel again raises the bar, responding to the inevitable quitting or aging out of stars with the idea of a multiverse.
the prophecy is true

Return to “Film and Video”