Powerpuff Girls Reboot

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Re: Powerpuff Girls Reboot

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:36 pm

I don't really know how I feel about this PPG reboot. It feels so, so much different than the original when it aired, and I get that-- they're different series, no need for them to be identical-- and being different does not automatically equal "bad". However, it definitely feels different in a not-wonderful way, and I'm going to try to nail down what that feeling is.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:23 am

Wait, were they really talking about trans* people there? The vibe I got from the blog was Otherkin.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:05 am

Did you read the whole blog. Blogger post part of a interview where the creators straight up say it's about transgenders. Also blogger does a pretty good explanation of the metaphor. Like creators are doing it on purpose. Episode is a waste of time though. Of the 5 I've seen it was the most boring one.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:18 am

View Original Postzlink64 wrote:Did you read the whole blog....the creators straight up say it's about transgenders and the blogger explains the metaphor. Like creators are doing it on purpose. Episode is a waste of time though. Of the 5 I've seen it was the most boring one.

No, they say it's about gender and identity, but never mention trans* specifically AFAICT.

I dunno; I just find it odd that a show that's so hamfistedly progressive would tackle trans* issues in such a way. OTOH I find it entirely plausible that they'd set out to mock the Otherkin movement (which is considered a fair target even among progressives) and bungle the approach such that it was easily read as an attack on trans* people. But I admit that might be a generous reading.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:25 am

Yeah it is pretty hard to believe honestly. Like if I hadn't seen it myself I wouldn've assumed the blogger was exaggerating. I dunno between the science experiment and the consent form and gender jokes about colt and filly(girl and guy horses) in the episode I'm pretty convinced it was about transitioning to a different gender.

I think these people might just really weird views so they don't realize how dumb some what they are doing is coming off.
hmmm

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:32 pm

So the newest ep, the wrinklegruff gals was actually kind of decent, not as much edgy hipster stuff or anything as blatantly stupid like in the unicorn episode. One thing that did rub me the wrong way is it looks like they are writing pokey oaks out of the series as the girls are going to high school, but at least they played it straight in terms of the girls being kindergarteners in high school. Still not super great but a step up from what we have been seeing. So if they can make more episodes like this one maybe it will be ok.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Tue May 03, 2016 6:52 am

I just saw the powerpuff girls twerking...... This show must be destroyed and erased from history lol.
hmmm

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed May 04, 2016 3:09 am

What if the reboot were an anime starring a bunch of googoo-eyed lolis instead?

Oh, wait, that was Damashita! PowerPuff Girls Z, and that was ten years ago, already.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed May 04, 2016 3:11 am

View Original Postzlink64 wrote:I just saw the powerpuff girls twerking...... This show must be destroyed and erased from history lol.

Wait. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Wed May 04, 2016 6:42 am

hmmm

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed May 04, 2016 8:16 am

View Original Postzlink64 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja68qSFBPMQ

twerking. episode: Panbow

:um: Oh, what a hot mess. What's going on with this reboot?

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed May 04, 2016 12:42 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:What if the reboot were an anime starring a bunch of googoo-eyed lolis instead?

Oh, wait, that was Damashita! PowerPuff Girls Z, and that was ten years ago, already.

That was bad, but at least some of the bad things that happened in that show were funny in a WTF sort of way I mean what was up with Mojojojo shooting a kamehameha that turned into little black cubes?I mean that was such a weird attack and I think he only did it once, he never did it again, what was that? Why was that there?

But when something bad happens in this show its legitmatly bad in a bad sort of way. I mean damn, stop trying to make the ppg's all hipsterish.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Return to “Film and Video”