Ghostbusters Reboot

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: Ghostbusters Reboot

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:19 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:While I dislike Honest Trailers with a mild passion I have to give them major props for their new video. The video is less about how much of a turd Ghostbusters II is - and it really is an awful movie that lazily coasts by doing nothing fun or unique - and more about how a Ghostbusters III could never happen and that the new film is not ruining anything.

Slow applause for this one. Especially the Comments Section gag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D3WZxYxWd8

I actually like Honest Trailers, but this one in particular makes some damn fine points. I'd forgotten just how bad Ghostbusters II really was, and am just as glad we're not revisiting that material this time around.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:34 pm

Am I the only one who liked GBII better than the first one? I found Vigo a much scarier villain than a Marshmallow Man.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:15 am

I already said it, but if GBII came out today, everyone would love it. It was actually ahead of its time.

It's not as good as the first one but it's still funny , heartfelt, and even people who hate the movie love Vigo. Because he is Vigo!
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:41 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Am I the only one who liked GBII better than the first one? I found Vigo a much scarier villain than a Marshmallow Man.

I think they're equal in every aspect, except for Rick Moranis as Louis Tully. He goes from being the weakest part of the first movie to a highlight in the second. I wish they made a third one just so I could see more of him.

So mathematically speaking, I guess the second one is better, but I view them as being the same movie, and I mean that in the best possible way. All the hate it gets confuses and saddens me.

I find it interesting how the same two people in this thread who refuse to address my argument about why James Rolfe made that video, of all videos, are the ones who didn't like the second movie. Coincidence? (I have no idea.)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:39 am

Just as well they haven't responded. In lieu of this and much else that's been happening in recent posts, I guess we need another reminder that this thread should focus on the film itself and not extracurricular drama.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:19 am

Yeah, this thread isn't about James Rolfe, and Mr. James was a bit overreaching for trying to make a small part of the Ghostbusters "controversy" about him. (Which is all anyone's goal is whenever they post a YouTube video with the barest of production values, ranting and raving about stuff for dem views and dat AdSense money, tho!)

To be honest, though, I've never watched a single Paul Feig movie, so it would feel weird starting to do so now. So I'll just see how the weekend plays out.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:43 pm

I have decided I will see this movie on opening weekend. I will attend an early show if I can.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:51 pm

Chuck, please don't. That's exactly what Sony wants! Don't be a sucker. You're smarter than that.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:03 pm

Chuckman does as he wills.
the prophecy is true

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:17 pm

I do believe this is the first time I'm seeing people acting down right fearful over the mere possibility of simply being disappointed in a movie.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:11 pm

I'm going to go in and watch it with an open mind and see if I enjoy it and if I don't I'm not going to be sad that a studio made money because that's one of the least important things I can think of.

I probably posted a lengthy diatribe on why I won't see it earlier, but I am change.
the prophecy is true

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:22 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Chuck, please don't. That's exactly what Sony wants! Don't be a sucker. You're smarter than that.

That is a really sad way to live your life, Ray. Don't be a sheep, man! Experience life on your own and form your own opinions, don't let internet personalities tell you have to think! Wake up!
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:28 pm

The poison from both sides of the feminism argument, as well as the directors disrespect for the source material, as well as the naked and obvious political agenda of Amy Pascal, and the fact that Pascal, Rothman, and Feige took away the last chance we would ever have to see the original cast, as their characters on the big screen. . . I just don't want to reward that kind of behavior with money.

Again, I'll watch it eventually. But my money wont be part of it's theatrical run.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:41 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:The poison from both sides of the feminism argument, as well as the directors disrespect for the source material, as well as the naked and obvious political agenda of Amy Pascal, and the fact that Pascal, Rothman, and Feige took away the last chance we would ever have to see the original cast, as their characters on the big screen. . . I just don't want to reward that kind of behavior with money.

I'm with you on Pascal, though given your posts elsewhere it surprises me that you'd care that much about women getting paid less than their male counterparts. The rest is kinda pants reasoning, though.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:31 am

I really think if they'd made a third one with the original cast it would have disappointed you too.

Ghostbusters is on my list of perfect films. It lacks nothing and needs nothing removed.

I like the sequel a lot but it's really just a live action entry into the cartoon series.
the prophecy is true

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:11 am

The usual suspects begin posting their reviews. . .

BLACK NERD COMEDY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCDl70hik6M

Jeremy Jahns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJhC-4UeBUw

MR SUNDAY MOVIES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJvI4Lg0XDI

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:56 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:To be honest, though, I've never watched a single Paul Feig movie, so it would feel weird starting to do so now. So I'll just see how the weekend plays out.

Well, a lot of people saw The Avengers despite not being familiar with Joss Whedon.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:45 am

View Original PostTumbling Down wrote:Well, a lot of people saw The Avengers despite not being familiar with Joss Whedon.

I saw The Avengers despite being familiar with Joss Whedon.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:26 pm

There's an early screening where I live gonna go watch it I'll post my thoughts later.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:02 pm

The consensus I've seen from Goobergabers is that it's not good enough to be enjoyable on its own terms and not bad enough to be ironically enjoyable. And by "Goobergabers" I mean the two that I'm still subscribed to, Mundane Matt and Sargon of Akkad.

Return to “Film and Video”