Shane Black & Fred Dekker to make PREDATOR Sequel

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Shane Black & Fred Dekker to make PREDATOR Sequel

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:42 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Check out this anthology Predator novel...
SPOILER: Show

I own it but haven't read yet.

The story in it "Buffalo Jump" is a western...

The story that most caught my eye was "Storm Blood"...

The mythological creature is a Rougarou apparently.

And there is another story that brings back Harrigan (glover) from Predator 2.

Oh wow I might just go buy that since it sounds like fun and they've brought back both both Steven Perry and S. D. Perry, who in my view wrote the best novels in the franchise and I love the idea of them following up on Harrigan because predator 2 is my favourite film in the predator series. Plus I love werewolves so this sells it to me ^_^

Over the centuries, extraterrestrial hunters of the Yautja race also known as the Predators have encountered (and stalked) humans on Earth and in the depths of space. Offered here are sixteen all-new stories of such hunts, written by many of today s most extraordinary authors: Kevin J. Anderson, Jennifer Brozek, Larry Correia, Mira Grant, Tim Lebbon, Jonathan Maberry, Andrew Mayne, Weston Ochse, S. D. Perry, Steve Perry, Jeremy Robinson, John Shirley, Bryan Thomas Schmidt and Holly Roberds, Peter J. Wacks and David Boop, Wendy N. Wagner, Dayton Ward.

Inspired by the events of the original Predator movies, graphic novels, and novels, these adventures pit hunter against prey in life-and-death struggles where there can be only one victor.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:01 pm

I wish Hollywood was bold enough to do a Predator sequel (prequel?) set in the old west, or medieval Europe, or something.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:45 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I wish Hollywood was bold enough to do a Predator sequel (prequel?) set in the old west, or medieval Europe, or something.

Same here, like bring it back to pure basics and its bloody R rated roots, no super predators crazy weapons just real dark creature fear of being hunted by something as smart as you are which is hugely powerful and the person or group being vastly out gunned as that was what made Predator, Predator 2 terrifying this idea that your just so out of your league compared to the Yautja.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:29 pm

Predators are attracted to heat and conflict. (Why did they set the first AVP movie at the fucking south pole again?)

• Vietnam War
  • Crusades
  • World War II European and North African theater
  • World War II Japanese theater
  • Mongol invasions
  • Punic Wars
  • Wild West
  • American Civil War
  • Rebellion in Haiti
  • Boer War
  • Spanish Civil War
  • Spanish landing in Mexico

The knights and castles Predator idea would be really fresh. They keep taking these sequels and giving the Predators more ludicrous tech and in turn giving the humans more and more guns and firepower and stupidity. If they really want to go "back to basics" they should do a tightly scripted 90-100 minute Predator movie with one Predator, say, both sides during the Battle of Hattin in 1187 AD.

(I have to say, I actually enjoyed *Predators*. It's the only sequel besides the second one that I liked)
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:12 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Predators are attracted to heat and conflict. (Why did they set the first AVP movie at the fucking south pole again?)

Yeah the thing in dumb about the snow and the comics and novels imply that Yautja have way more trouble regulating there heat than we do and feel the cold way more hence why they have the netting as it keeps them warm but yeah as much as I think AVP is a guilty pleasure romp, the whole south pole thing just felt kind of off base even for me. Plus Anderson couldn't even put the right type of penguin crawling around the Victorian whaling stations ruins...and that Alien Queen is not dead she'll proberbly just go to sleep in the ice water and become someone else's problem decades later...

Though there is one comic set in the cold which is cold war which is set in Soviet Siberia but that was a single predator and I got the impression he crashed his ship there along with his clan. http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Predator:_Cold_War (EDIT)
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:37 am, edited 4 times in total.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:20 pm

Here is a really solid Predator fan film set during the crusades - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRD8jAk274I

View Original PostChuckman wrote:[*]American Civil War

At this point the comics have done most alternate unique locations you could think of, filmmakers direly need to adapt or take strong influence from those.

I have 2 hopes for this franchise...

(A.) This won't happen because The Predator unperformed (and a Asian lead female is sadly unlikely), a faithful big budget adaption of the Machiko Noguchi storyline from the AVP comics/novels just without Xenomorphs, create some fresh alien threat for them to hunt.

(B.) This is more reasonable, a anthology series on Netflix/HBO, 9 episode seasons, 3 3 episode arcs each season with different locations/time periods & cast. Adapt some of the comics/novels and create some original stories.

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Predators are attracted to heat and conflict. (Why did they set the first AVP movie at the fucking south pole again?)

2 possible reasons, the pyramid under the ice was built before the arctic froze over or it's was done specifically so that the young Predators being sent there in their rite of passage would have a even harder time.

View Original PostChuckman wrote:(I have to say, I actually enjoyed *Predators*. It's the only sequel besides the second one that I liked)

Same. I enjoy the original 3 equally, I would have used to say 2 was better then the original but on my most recent re watch some of the early scenes with Bill Paxton & María Conchita Alonso are really grating and I can see the strong cultural stereotypes upsetting people, everything else about 2 I love.
I see people saying both Glover & Brody were non believable leads, I thought both of them did great jobs.

Thoughts on The Predator? I haven't seen it.

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:Though there is one comic set in the cold which is cold war which is set in Soviet Siberia but that was a single predator and I got the impression he was doing look at me I'm so hard core if I hunt here here the females are gonna love me http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Predator:_Cold_War

I read the novel version of Cold War, there was multiple Preds but the reason they were in the cold is because they actually crashed.
There is a sequence with a guy in some outpost walking in on them gathered around the main furnace in the basement for heat.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:34 pm

I would accept the explanation for the AvP setting, except that Antarctica was ice-locked before humans evolved, wasn't it? The flashbacks showed the predators using humans to grow the xenomorphs.

I was ill and couldn't get out much so I didn't get to a theater for The Predator, sadly. I'll have to wait until it streams.
the prophecy is true

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:33 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:At this point the comics have done most alternate unique locations you could think of, filmmakers direly need to adapt or take strong influence from those.

I have 2 hopes for this franchise...

(A.) This won't happen because The Predator unperformed (and a Asian lead female is sadly unlikely), a faithful big budget adaption of the Machiko Noguchi storyline from the AVP comics/novels just without Xenomorphs, create some fresh alien threat for them to hunt.

(B.) This is more reasonable, a anthology series on Netflix/HBO, 9 episode seasons, 3 3 episode arcs each season with different locations/time periods & cast. Adapt some of the comics/novels and create some original stories.

I would love to see Machiko Noguchi story in film but I agree Hollywood will not take it and they won't use an Asian actress, but if Neflix picked it up I'd totality go for that. Though I'll be honest and say I'm not a fan off the Three World War comic like I love the art and concept but I don't dig the story I prefer the first two graphic novels Alien Vs Predator and War and Neca is now bringing out toys based on the comics and they have Machiko and Broken Tusk so I'm hoping it will help more people get to know who she is.

I read the novel version of Cold War, there was multiple Preds but the reason they were in the cold is because they actually crashed.
There is a sequence with a guy in some outpost walking in on them gathered around the main furnace in the basement for heat.

Ah thanks for clarification I own it but I had no time last night to dig it out and reread so I was going by my memory and it was rusty ^_^

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:47 pm

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:41 pm

How did Black go from the triumph that is Iron Man 3 to this?
the prophecy is true

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:15 am

That sort of clickbait is nonsense. EARLY DRAFT OF X PROJECT HAD THIS CRAZY Y THING HAPPEN. It usually turns out to be an idea tossed out early in development and was disregarded for good reason. A lot of the time, terrible ideas making it beyond the brainstorming phase is to humor studio execs who feel they need to have their input on a project. A good filmmaker will play the game and then scrap the terrible ideas later in production. A bad filmmaker bends over to the whims of studio pressure.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:03 pm

It sounds like they actually filmed it?
the prophecy is true

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:10 pm

It’s not clickbait if they shot the alternate ending. Which they did.
Someone got paid thousands of dollars to build a pod and design a mask to cover up Ellen Ripley and Newt’s faces (because they sure weren’t getting Sigourney Weaver to come in for a wordless cameo), a stuntwoman was paid to put on a costume and be on camera, the production office set the schedule to shoot the sequence, the crew woke up and drove to set, put up lights, mapped out the camera position and lenses used, the footage was shot and captured to be used in the edit bay later, etc etc etc.
It’s insane to think an idea like this was even considered let alone shot. But it was.

The Predator is easily the biggest cinematic disappointment of 2018 for me. An absolute mess.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:51 pm

I don't understand how Ellen Ripley and Newt could possibly show up in their past or how that could be explained in a stinger scene. That's just bonkers.
the prophecy is true

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:22 pm

It's especially insane when you realize Sigourney Weaver has been VERY vocal about her complete disinterest in anything to do with an the Alien & Predator crossover* since the late 80s. Whenever asked about the series her stance has always been "That's a dumb idea. I want nothing to do with it." With those nice AVATAR sequel paychecks she's receiving I doubt Weaver would be open to the idea of returning to Ripley in a Predator sequel which would most likely lead up to another Alien Vs. Predator film.

I thought Shane Black hiring his convicted pedophile sex offender friend to play a man who sexually harasses Olivia Munn on the street in her introductory scene was the dumbest move this production would make (scene was ultimately cut) but the mindset of introducing Ripley to a completely different series through time travel hijinks in a post-credits teaser could actually entice Sigourney Weaver to sign up or future sequels to a franchise she's openly expressed disinterest in for over 30 years is even dumber.

*If you focus on only the movies themselves the Alien Vs. Predator thing is so completely one-sided. The Predator series since Part 2 is constantly throwing Xenomorph ties in to the sequels because that universe is so damn thirsty for the legitimacy of the Alien series. Any and all AVP mentions in the series proper are all from the Predator franchise. Everyone involved with the six official movies to date (the four Ripley films & the two David prequels) have wanted nothing to do with the Predator. Frankly, they're correct in having that opinion.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:12 pm

Sounds like I actually need to see this bat-shit lunacy. Wonder if a RedBox around me has the Blu-ray.

AvP always sounded like the execs were high as a kite (as they often were in the late 80's/early90's) and one said to the other "Dude, like... the Predator's an alien, right?.... What if the Predator fought, like.... another alien?" "Dude, what if it was, like.... THE Alien?" "Dude I'm gonna make a shit load of money..."

The Alien movies have usually been the smarter of the two properties, whether it be Ridley Scot's original space horror, James Cameron's gripping action film, David Fincher's socially aware (though deeply flawed) horror film, and even Scot's return with his prequels which, honestly, probably ask existential questions the are way too smart for even the Alien series to be asking. Joss Whedon's treatment of Alien Resurrection was the only one that stooped to Predator's "Saturday Morning Ugly Boy Toy Cartoon" energy (which makes sense because it's Joss Whedon, I mean the guy directed The Avengers and Dr. Horrible for crying out loud), so it's unsurprising that Fox simply went "Well, there's no point in NOT uniting them at this point."

Gazdakka Gizbang
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gazdakka Gizbang » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:12 pm

I thought the movie was a dumpster fire, personally. It struck me as a case of, "What if Marvel made a Predator film?", though that might be since he also directed Iron Man 3.

- AUTISTS ARE THE NEW X-MEN! Yeah, you're not kidding anyone with this. In some ways the film seemed like a childhood fantasy where the kid gets a mysterious artifact his father gave to him and went on to become the hero and become VIP for extraterrestrial research. It was absurd, hamhanded and continued the perpetuation of this ridiculous Hollywood notion that autistic children are evolutionary superpeople.

- Olivia Munn's character suffered from what I consider The Blacklist Problem, where she is given a specified occupation and role only for her to just magically be able to perform and frontline a task she was unlikely to be suited for (combat gruntwork) or even assigned. I would have much preferred dumping one of the reprobates in favour of a female soldier from the facility to fulfill that aspect more realistically.

- As others have said elsewhere, the Predators' redefined goal for taking grisly trophies works to undermine the image previously established for them as technologically advanced hunters out on safari. Saying they take them to incorporate the DNA makes little sense when they're doing it for prey that is by all accounts considerably weaker than themselves.

There's probably a lot more I could say about it, only it's been a few months since I saw it on the big screen and my disgust for it finally peaked enough for me to express my dissatisfaction. I'm not even much of a Predator fan at all, but I respect lore and continuity enough to know that what I was viewing was scandalous to fans.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:29 pm

Most of the Predator movies suck because the first two did one thing very well: They satirized, parodied, and then twisted an existing film trope into horror. The first one was basically putting the typical Arnold character (think of the the kind of musclebound hulk that has a name like John Matrix that's only there as a flimsy pretext not to just fucking call him Arnold) in a situation where he's the underdog, plus all the gay stuff and toxic masculinity stuff. It was intelligent and had many subtle messages to it. (Arnold has been in a surprising number of movies that can claim this quality)

Predator 2 did the same thing with the Dirty Harry concept, but kept it fresh by recognizing that it needed to bring it to the level of parody with the absurdity of the criminals and cops in an urban war zone. It's also brilliant in that it embraces itself and basically takes place in a "Last Action Hero" universe where things aren't expected to make sense and two characters talking will just happen to be standing in front of a bunch of red, pre-1970 Mustangs for no real reason.

The others don't do anything with it. They focus on the superficial.

Lastly, "Aliens vs Predator" is a dumb idea. Weaver is right. The problem is, people keep trying to make serious takes on a stupid idea instead of making a stupid fun movie about a stupid idea.
the prophecy is true

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:48 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:AvP always sounded like the execs were high as a kite (as they often were in the late 80's/early90's) and one said to the other "Dude, like... the Predator's an alien, right?.... What if the Predator fought, like.... another alien?" "Dude, what if it was, like.... THE Alien?" "Dude I'm gonna make a shit load of money..."

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Lastly, "Aliens vs Predator" is a dumb idea. Weaver is right. The problem is, people keep trying to make serious takes on a stupid idea instead of making a stupid fun movie about a stupid idea.

Nah, read the 90s AVP novels, it's a fantastic idea when done seriously & when done well.
The 1st AVP movies problem was that it took good indepth ideas from the AVP novels and did them in the most half assed manner possible and lacked both scope & grit.

The Predators are big game hunters, there is nothing inherently dumb about the idea that they would see Xenomorphs as valid & dangerous prey.

That being said, Ripley doesn't need to have any part in any new AVP story and this stinger was a deeply demented idea.

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Most of the Predator movies suck because the first two did one thing very well: They satirized, parodied, and then twisted an existing film trope into horror. The first one was basically putting the typical Arnold character (think of the the kind of musclebound hulk that has a name like John Matrix that's only there as a flimsy pretext not to just fucking call him Arnold) in a situation where he's the underdog, plus all the gay stuff and toxic masculinity stuff. It was intelligent and had many subtle messages to it. (Arnold has been in a surprising number of movies that can claim this quality)

Predator 2 did the same thing with the Dirty Harry concept, but kept it fresh by recognizing that it needed to bring it to the level of parody with the absurdity of the criminals and cops in an urban war zone. It's also brilliant in that it embraces itself and basically takes place in a "Last Action Hero" universe where things aren't expected to make sense and two characters talking will just happen to be standing in front of a bunch of red, pre-1970 Mustangs for no real reason.

I see some of the action movie tropes being turned on their head but I just don't see the outlandish parody aspect of it especially in the 1st film.
Dutch & his crew are much more grounded (hand held mini guns aside) compared to Commando's Matrix or FBP2 Rambo, they have to use genuine team work & tactics to take out the rebel base in the 1st third. If that had been Matrix he could have done it all single handedly plus Dutch never does anything preposterous like the pipe throw.

And with 2 the cultural sterotypes are strong enough to go into parody territory but the film never felt silly or like it wasn't taking the characters, the situation or the threat seriously.

Gazdakka Gizbang
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gazdakka Gizbang » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:51 pm

movieartman wrote:I see some of the action movie tropes being turned on their head but I just don't see the outlandish parody aspect of it especially in the 1st film.
Dutch & his crew are much more grounded (hand held mini guns aside) compared to Commando's Matrix or FBP2 Rambo, they have to use genuine team work & tactics to take out the rebel base in the 1st third. If that had been Matrix he could have done it all single handedly plus Dutch never does anything preposterous like the pipe throw.

And with 2 the cultural sterotypes are strong enough to go into parody territory but the film never felt silly or like it wasn't taking the characters, the situation or the threat seriously.

My take on the first two films was not that it was parodical, but that it went in a direction nobody expected at the time. The first part of the film is very Rambo 2-esque with a mercenary detachment going into enemy territory to free hostages. Very typical premise for an action movie when it was made, but it slowly turns into a cat-and-mouse thriller with a creature that was also not like what films had shown before. It hunted them with superior technology, but it took on a personal approach with taking pieces of the corpses for sport and being on the field itself rather than gunning them down in a spaceship. There was enough to make it stand out as unique, and ultimately the premise was able to last far beyond the setting it was originally placed in.

The second one was not as good as far as I'm concerned, but it gave enough new information about the Predators to keep it interesting. Multiple types of vision detection, a few extra gadgets here and there, a look at the inside of one of their spaceships, and the hunter hierarchy shared amongst the crew that allowed Harrigan to live. They even toss him a memento for his troubles which revealed they had been around for hundreds of years.

Compared to those the others just fell flat. AvP had interesting concepts, but they were all poorly executed and the effort to humanise the Predators for sympathy was severely misplaced. AvP 2 is....best left out of discussion. Predators, while entertaining, felt very much like a retread of the original with not enough to set it apart or even justify its existence.

Return to “Film and Video”